“One of the Best Places to Eat in Town”

Georgetown Family Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 35 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 9, 2012

A real family restaurant with locals and since it's in the heart of the Sussex County Government, a lot of law-types, their staffs, and State government personnel. Great choice of specials, meatloaf, sandwiches, fish of all types, soups, and try their baked apples. If you're ordering a sandwich, definitely try the ones they have on panini bread--a nice change from buns and breads. Our waitress was a real treat giving us lots of humor, Delawarian charm, and attention. Down home cookin with down home people for a joyous dining experience.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Been remiss in not writing sooner about this establishment. We moved to Lewes, DE (about 12 miles down the road) in May, and since then have eaten multiple breakfasts, lunches and dinners in the Georgetown Family Restaurant. Having been born and raised in NYC, my first experience with GFR was a bit startling. There are locals all around you and conversations bouncing from table to table, enabled and encouraged by the servers, who are also clearly local and know all the customers. On one visit I inquired of the server about a way to avoid the friday night traffic heading back into Lewes/Rehoboth, and I had an elderly local gent pull up a chair and map it all out for us. The decor is simple and clean and the place is very casual and comfortable; you walk in, pick up a menu from the stand inside the door, and sit where you want.

The food at GFR is basic, all american cuisine. Steak, Chops, Burgers, Seafood, Meatloaf, Turkey, etc... There are Italian dishes sprinkled in there, but the Chicken Cutlet Parm, was the only disappointing meal I have had here. Overall the food is fresh, ample and delicious. I read a previous review which really trashed the whole experience and all I can say is they may have just caught a bad day....I don't know how else to explain it. Best of all...if you arrive before 4 p.m. there is a long, long list of offerings with prices as cheap as 6.99 for a whole dinner. I paid 9.99 for delicious Prime Rib with soup and two sides. The cut I had filled the whole oblong serving plate and I ordered the Maryland Crab chowder as an opener.

So, if you're in the mood for some local "flavor" and a hearty, CHEAP meal, the Georgetown Family Restaurant is for you.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

yummy, good value and service. Away from the throngs at the beach. Not a long wait and affordable.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

After reading the reviews on here we dedcided to give this local eatery a try. The only thing good about this place was our server Erica who was excellent. At 1:45 PM, Wednesday after the lunch rush(if there was one)my husband ordered the rockfish platter and I had the turkey platter. I have no idea what the other reviews on here are referring too but portions are far from huge, he got a extra small piece of rockfish and it was a full fillet. Kind of makes you wonder where they are getting these small fish from? Are they regulation size fish or are they just cheap? My turkey platter came out luke warm as did my husbands platter. The gravy on mine was a awful toxic looking bright yellow gravy. ALL the food was lukewarm & it wasn't busy in there at all-4 tables. It wasn't like the turkey was hot and the potatoes were warm it was ALL the same temperature-everything we had including the sides. The server offered to heat it up but I didn't want to, it would have over cooked the turkey more than it was. We NEVER expected this place to be this bad. The dinner rolls by far were the worst I ever had and I am a avid bread lover. All food was consistent, luke warm, low quality. The mashed potatoes are plopped on the plate by a scoop, a little small scoop of unflavored dry potatoes. Cole slaw shouldn't even be named that, complete garbage. I can't believe I have this much negative things to say about this dive but I can't find anything nice, again, except the server. We told the server about the size of the fish, she said it was small, sometimes they are bigger. We were halfway thru the meal when we decided how bad it was otherwise we would have walked right out. I can see if there wasn't a good gravy and maybe something else wasn't the greatest but EVERYTHING was terrible. My husbands fish was OK but not the portion size. How can they have all this food so bad. STAY FAR AWAY unless your used to eating food that came out of a JR HS cafeteria.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Located near The Circle in quiet and quaint Georgetown, this restaurant delivers a pleasant, small town dining experience at very low cost.

We ate dinner here recently. I ordered the roast beef special, which provided a huge pile of sliced beef, with gravy, atop white bread. It included two sides (selected from a list of about eight). I chose turnip greens and stewed tomatoes. I also had choice of soup (three varieties offered) or a fairly large salad. The dinner special also included rolls and coffee. All for just under ten dollars. Everything was tasty and All-American. When I ordered, I told the waitress we were in a hurry, and she worked hard to get us our meals on the quick. Thanks to her fast work, we even had time for dessert (my rice pudding was generous and good).

Atmosphere is American Cafe. Bright, simple, low-key and friendly.

For anyone who enjoys comfort food or looks for low prices, and especially families, this is great stop when going to and from the Delaware beach towns.

1  Thank Rehoboth5