“Impeccably clean, delicious food and great service @ the restaurant”

Brick Hotel On The Circle
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Georgetown
herndon
“Impeccably clean, delicious food and great service @ the restaurant”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

On the first day we arrived, we were greeted very warmly. Sandy @ the restaurant made us feel right at home and the food was simply delicious. What struck us both as completely weird and why we choose to give it three stars is because:
1) we reserved a room and were told later(via email) that since the house keeping person was taking a day off on christmas, we should take another room because she wouldn't be available to clean it out for them. that wouldn't have been so weird if the person who booked the room showed up. weird!
2) the room we got shifted into had a dysfunctional heater. it kept blowing cold air and after we tried alerting them several times, they stopped by and made an attempt to get it fixed. they said that we could move over to another empty room if it didn't get fixed in the next half hour. so we sat cuddled close to each other and froze for half hour until we decided to shift. it was freezing when we left for the other room. i sent an email telling them we shifted and i got a reply saying - it's holiday time so doesn't look like anybody will call in for the room you shifted in to, so it's great that you shifted. 'what was that?' my senses asked me. to which i replied, i'm sorry if someone does call in but if you could please fix the heater in the other room, we'd gladly move back in. what i wanted to say though was this - i did not ask for another room, i want what i paid for which is a room which has a basic amenity i.e. heating. secondly, i would've appreciated if you responded quicker instead of letting us freeze for so long but since I didn't make a big deal out of it, i would've appreciated if you didn't make me feel like i was taking advantage of you or had an ulterior motive. thirdly, let's say somebody did call in that night and you lost a customer, you still have no right to tell me that you lost business because of us. you lost business because of you. so i'm surprised you had the audacity to tell me that you're glad i shifted to another room just because it's holiday time and you weren't expecting anyone anyway. fix your heater!!! weird.
3) in the morning, the housekeeping person were very kind to stop by and check on us. we also got to meet her adorable little daughter so we were up and happy again. it only takes that much to keep my husband and me happy. :-) we're pretty content people and easy to please! but we don't like freezing rooms and we also don't like when we're made to feel as though moving to another room was out of choice. weird.
weirdness apart, the food we ate was probably the best we've eaten. so good! wow! everybody should eat at this hotel once in their lifetime! :-) i hope my review helps convey negative feedback to those concerned and helps all you travelers get a peek into what we experienced and make a choice. thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rose f
flamingoqueende, Owner at Brick Hotel On The Circle, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
I wish I could tell you that you are the only guest that has been inconvenienced by our heating system dilemma! In fact, the people coming into the room that you had originally booked had to be relocated to another room -- so they did come in for their scheduled stay. I do apologize for your misunderstanding -- I thought we had responded pretty quickly to your call about the heat, as my husband was checking in on you within the 1/2 hour. Regardless, I intended to communicate my gratitude that you were being flexible with your room change. In no way did I intend to make you feel otherwise. Given the Christmas holiday, we were unable to get our geothermal heating company onsite until 12/26 and in the interim have been accommodating all our guests in equally nice rooms. [They won't have all the work done until 1/2 that will put the room we originally booked you in and others back in service - yes I am frustrated, too!]

I am truly sorry that you do not feel we responded adequately to your situation, but am very glad that you otherwise enjoyed our restaurant and staff! Happy New Year!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
London
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I have travelled back and forth from Raleigh, NC to see family in the Philadelphia area for 24 years now. Most trips we drive hwy 95 straight through. This trip was the day before Thanksgiving and we decided to go up the Delmarva Peninsula to break up the monotony of trip. We decided to stay the evening and travel the balance the next morning. We had no idea our choice was going to be a truly great one. We found the Brick Hotel on line and decided this is where we will stay. We arrived to the beautiful Brick at around 7:00 pm. The restaurant was still open as well as their perfectly stocked Pub. From the dining room we could hear the beautiful singing of the live entertainment and from the kitchen the wonderful aroma of home cooked food. My wife had the crab cakes and I had the surf and turf. We finished with one of their handmade desserts. We retired to our lavishly decorated and most comfortable room and slept like babies. We plan on returning to this gem in the middle of the county and only a short ride from the coast in the near future and highly recommend to anyone a stay at the Brick! Thank you Lynn and staff for making us feel right at home. You guys are the best!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sonoma, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in October while visiting friends in the area. What a perfect recommendation! I second the glowing comments of others, particularly the fact that each room has its own personality, the owners and staff are both attentive and anticipate so many things in advance, and the restaurant has wonderful food. Note - there's a cozy bar, too, and we were able to order from the menu there. Some additional thoughts -- Despite being in an historic building, the Brick has an elevator serving both the older structure and the new wing. Rooms in the new addition have private balconies. Rooms in the historic section have access to the broad, second floor balcony facing the Circle, which has comfy chairs and rockers. Our room had many nice touches -- a heated towel rack in the bathroom, a special washcloth for removing makeup, and the fluffiest bath mat ever. The heating and cooling system was quiet - no droning, vibrating metal monster in the room. All in all, a fantastic place to stay, from all perspectives. Plus, Georgetown, DE is centrally located for many interesting destinations: the towns of Lewes and Rehoboth Beach, DE, and sites on the northern shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bridgeville, Delaware
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We live not from from The Brick, but had never stayed over night at the Bed & Breakfast. What a Wonderful experience ! Marvelous room, great decor, private bath, and the breakfast the next morning left nothing to be desired. Fresh baked goods, hot coffee, juice, a refrigerator full and an invitation to help yourself to its contents. The other guests were very pleasant and the interaction was a great experience. A comfy sitting area plus tables provided for breakfast plus easy access to an very large outside porch made breakfast time a delight. Of course, the food at The Brick is always delicious. The owners and staff are extremely accommodating ( I am a vegetarian). From the outside, you can not imagine what wonderful accommodations await you inside. Even if you are a local.... Try a get-a-way for a night. We certainly will again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
flamingoqueende, Owner at Brick Hotel On The Circle, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
It is always wonderful to have "locals" experience all that The Brick has to offer, and Ed and I were so happy that you were able to enjoy one of Georgetown's biggest days, Return Day, with us!
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I found myself in Georgetown, DE on business and was booked into this wonderful homey inn by work associates who assured me that this was the best place in the area to stay. They were right! The rooms were not "cookie-cutter" shaped like the many chain hotels, but each had its own cozy decor and allure. Despite the old-school charm, the room had a flat screen TV and a balcony. There were several common areas: a porch with rocking chairs, a library/den area with Keurig coffee set up, mini-TV, microwave, and computer/printer set-up, and a second floor sun-deck overlooking the greenery of the circle. Home-made scones and other breakfast breads were brought up to the common area for breakfast complete with linens and "real" flatware (not plastic.) The scones were delicious. The staff and owner were "over-the-top" with friendliness and service with a smile. The restaurant inside the inn is a favorite of the locals with high quality food and service. I travel a lot on business and this place was truly perfect, relishing its role in making the traveler feel truly welcome with exceptional detail to the little touches of home.

Room Tip: Even though this is such a relatively small town, there is an amazing amount of traffic in "the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
An establishment like ours never hears enough that we have done our job, and done it well. Thanks so much for your kind comments! We are so happy that The Brick was everything you had hoped for, and perhaps even a little bit more!
Richmond Hill, Georgia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I spent my mandatory evacuation from my home during Hurricane Sandy at "The Brick." Of course, the accommodations are great. And, as others have said, the garden side of the new wing is quieter -- more removed from traffic and from the blasts of the area's famous nor'easter winds. Innkeeper Lynn Lester and husband Ed couldn't have been more gracious and friendly during this stressful time. They went out of their way to bring in The Chef to prepare meals for the evacuees even though the restaurant was normally closed on those days. In addition to the owners and the chef, the only staff on hand during the storm was Garth, the manager, who did whatever it took to care for us. And they all treated the evacuees like family and worked hard to make sure the stay did as much as possible to help us forget about Sandy's threat. Just because you have to evacuate doesn't mean you have to be miserable. And if you want a First Class Experience -- at any time -- "The Brick" is Sussex County's premier place to stay! Or if you can't spend the night, just try the restaurant which I try to do frequently even in the best of weather -- Excellent food and historic ambiance!

Room Tip: Check out each individual room on their website and reserve just exactly what you want -- historic s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MrsPincheon
flamingoqueende, Owner at Brick Hotel On The Circle, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
It was so much fun spending time with you all and we're so glad that we were able to make you feel both safe and at home during your stay with us!
Abington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We came down from the Philadelphia area on a Groupon coupon. Our initial encounter was with a friendly young man who takes reservations for the restaurant. In short, every staff member at the Brick was so helpful, friendly, and accommodating. The owner, Lynn, was wonderful. These lovely people made us feel like we were at our own house. The rooms are spotless -I am a fanatic about cleanliness. The food in the restaurant was delicious and came out piping hot. We can't say enough about our enjoyable stay. I suppose that the best compliment is to say that we will be back again in December. Thank you all - especially Garth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TEd48_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Georgetown Delaware Beaches
#5 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Hotel Blue
Hotel Blue
#1 of 7 in Lewes

Been to Brick Hotel On The Circle? Share your experiences!