“A Relaxing Time even in Pre-Season”

Killens Pond State Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Felton
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My fiancee lives in the Smyrna area and wanted to go out to get some sun. Rather than driving to the beach, we decided to go to Killens Pond State Park.

Upon arriving, we were disappointed that boat rentals were not available until later in the year. However, we experienced the same problem at Lums Pond State Park and should have remembered. Instead of moping or driving elsewhere, we decided to go fishing off the campground pier. I'm squeamish about hurting any animal so I just had fun casting into the pond. However, my fiancee caught what appears to be a small, large-mouth bass. Of course, we through him back in the water. We enjoy fishing and spent about three to four hours on the pier lounging and fishing.

The entire time we were there, walking a few trails and searching for the campground pier, we never saw a Park employee.

We have an annual pass to the State Park ($27) but if you're just visiting once, entry costs $3 for cars with Delaware Plates and $6 for cars with plates from other states. The campground features very nice cabins that can be reserved at the Delaware State Park website. My fiancee stayed in these cabins with family on several vacations when she was younger. In the summer, there is a small water park which is three water slides and a pool. During the season (I believe after Memorial Day), you can rent row boats, canoes, kayaks, or paddle boats at reasonable rates per hour or per day. However, I've heard that Killens Pond gets very busy during the summer with camping and visitors.

Overall, camping and visiting Killens Pond is always a fun, relaxing time but I would go before peak-season.

2  Thank manchester88

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Beautiful walking trails, canoe rentals, nice facilities, this park has it all!

1  Thank Bassplyr59
Reviewed September 29, 2011

There is more to Killen Pond State Park than just the water park. Don't get me wrong the water park is fun and a great way to cool off. However, there are walking trails, watch out for ticks and there is a camping cabin area. There are wooden beds with mattresses (bring your own bedding) table and chairs. It is rustic and sparce but fun. It is close to the beach so you could spend the day at the beach and then go back to the cabin at night. There is no air conditioning in the cabins so August may not be the idea month to go if you don't like humidity. There is one large cabin (house) that could be rented for a family reunion. Check it out if you like to camp. There is nothing as good as cooking over a fire.

2  Thank BB411
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We go to Killens every year for Thanksgiving and stay in a cabin for the weekend. You couldn't ask for more in a cabin. It has a small kitchenette with a sink & stovetop (2 burners), refridgerator, small kitchen table that seats 4 (you can always add a chair at the end, heating & AC window unit, fans and a FULL BATHROOM! Yes, complete with a shower and all. In the sleeping area there's a queen bed & a set of bunks. There's a screened in porch with seating. There's a water park very close, boat access, a park, produce stands and lots of walking, bike riding & hiking trails. They have carts in the parking area assigned to each cabin to help you truck your stuff to the cabin. There are 10 cabins & #1 is closest to the parking area & #10 is the farthest. However, they are in a loop so even #10 really isn't that far. But you still have the "woodsy" feeling because there are no cars allowed in this area. If you love the outdoors this is a must. I would drive 4 hours to stay here. In the fall all the leaves are turning and it's the perfect temp to sit out by the fire or walk through the woods along the pond. They have 1 larger cabin called the cottage but you need to reserve it 350 days in advance because it's always booked. That is twice as nice as I just mentioned. Killen's Pond is a GEM! We have created many memories there & can't wait to go back.

10  Thank ILuvVacationing