“Below average Comfort Suites”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Philadelphia, PA
“Below average Comfort Suites”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I'm a platinum member in the Choice Rewards frequent stay program, so I know a thing or two about what to expect at their properties. A lot of their brands sound a like, but "Comfort Suites" are supposed to be a step above, say, a regular "Comfort Inn." This property is not and, frankly, needs new management and a makeover.

First, the property just isn't being maintained well. The hallway carpets aren't vacuumed enough, there are stains on bedspreads and wallpaper, and the general feel of the hotel is one in decline. Heck, even your first impressions of the hotel are negative as there are folks smoking and drinking beer outside the front door (I guess this is in response to the hotel being "smoke free!"). Breakfast was poor; typical low quality motel bread products along with bad coffee (has anyone on staff tasted it recently?), cold egg frisbees and "gravy."

I've previously stayed in the "Sleep Inn" in Dover (also a Choice Hotel properrty) and I liked it a little better, even though the Sleep Inn brand is supposed to be cheaper.

Bottomline, you can survive a night here but, unless it's a bargain, I'd try another motel on Route 13.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave's_reviews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
College Park, Georgia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

located on the main road so everything is near by. it could use an update this is more comfort in than it is suites. there aren't enough tables in the breakfast room if there is a large group at the hotel. Hotel staff is very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank roadwarrior1982
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My Husband and I Traveled with another couple we called prior to arriving and was told our rooms would be ready at 3:00 .We arrived Sometime AROUND 3:15 AND WAS TOLD OUR rooms WERE NOT READY .. and was told by the front desk it s housekeeping fault ..OMG .. we are the customer here .. But we waited in the lobby with others after 30 min. we were told our rooms was ready now.... ...While walking in the hallway to our rooms we could see and hear the housekeeping staff complaining about having to work and rush to get rooms cleaned under the condition .. that the hotel allowed late check outs due to a race... in fact one house keeper told my husband she did not clean our room and hoped that it was cleaned .we entered the room to find a night mare .. the bed had crumbs in it , coffee table was dirty form the prior guest left overs ..whirlpool mirror still had soap scum from prior guest, the window had large dead bugs in it .. no way was i staying in that room . we went down to the front desk .. they stated that the would have the room re done. we left for a few hours came back bugs were crawling on the wall near the window .. we was told someone must have left the windows open days ago. really...........

we moved to another room that was worst ,, carpet stained , musty smell, toilet had urine on floor in bathroom. wood holding up the sink . a/c kept us up all night sounded like someone was mowing the lawn
at this point we wanted to leave .. all other hotels in the area were already booked , and we was told that we paid cash and the manager would have to refund us .. and she would be in Monday morning

CALLED AND EMAILED THE MANAGER MS. COOK STILL NO REPLY ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dover hotels

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Our stay at this hotel (originally planned for 2 nights) lasted 60 minutes. Several facts contributed to our short stay:

1) Our original reservation was not honored due to hotel pet policy
*This hotel only allows pets in "certain" rooms and mandates customers sign an agreement to remain with their pets in their rooms (other than for emergencies) at all times.
2) This hotel very unwisely groups all of their pet rooms within the same area, assuring that any barking will be answered/echoed by dogs in nearby rooms
3) On-line pet tips info posted on the Comfort Suites/ChoiceHotels website for this particular hotel (other than this being a "pet friendly" hotel) regarding "suggested" prep actions/policy were non-existent. Post-stay, I discovered "suggested" tips were accessible "only" from a small hyperlink at the bottom of the screen. The tips I "eventually" discovered would likely have averted a (drive time included) 6-hr ordeal and saved us from a $115, 60-minute stay (we were refused a refund).

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben C
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Comfort Suites in Dover, Delaware over nite. I was visiting the college and had not planned to stay over. I found the Comfort Suites to be in good standards and the rates were excellent. The front desk clerk De'Anna really made my stay enjoyable. I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The staff here is soooo nice it almost makes me feel bad to write this! The bathrooms are in need of a major cleaning! Hair, dust, crusty stuff everywhere throughout the bathroom, night stands, table, headboard! I changed rooms twice and found it equally filthy! I was afraid to take off my shoes the carpet was soooo unclean looking! The Comfort Suites chain should disown this one from the family as it gives all the others a bad name!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mandeemariee
marlissa c, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
I'm very sorry about the Housekeeping issues you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I want to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.
We accommodate many guests, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each guest at a reasonable price. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction and I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you're in the Dover area.
Midland Park, NJ
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We recently stayed at The Comfort Suites over President's weekend. It was a spur of the moment trip,I booked the room Friday afternoon for the next 2 nights.They had the best rates and we wanted to check out the hotel since we have reservations there In june for The Nascar race weekend.The front desk staff was great, we arrived around 1;30 and our room wasn't ready but they checked us in since we wanted to go eat and shop. We returned around 6pm and our keys were at the desk and we went to our room. We had asked for 1st floor or near elevator and we got a room on the 2nd floor right next to the elevator(my sister walks with a cane)The room was spotless and the bathroom was nice and big and well lit. Our room had a sitting area, and a microwave and refrigerator(with a small freezer).The staff was very friendly.They had free breakfast in the morning, which could use a little improvement. We went down around 8:30am, they serve until 10, and there wasn't much to choose from,The woman was not refilling things and there were about 12 people that had come in around the same time.The yougurt and butter in the refrigerator was frozen solid that you couldn't eat it opr use the butter on anything because it was so frozen. Other than the breakfast the hotel was wonderful, The lobby was clean and comfortable.We were very pleased and are glad we are staying there in June for race weekend.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor, next to the elevator and it was very quiet.