“An Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Vineland, New Jersey
“An Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Dover, Delaware. It was my first visit to the hotel, but I can assure it won't be my last. We were warmly greeted at the front desk by Star, who was friendly and hospitable. She made me feel like I was a guest in her home. The hotel's location is just off the North Dupont Highway (U.S. Route 13). The directions on the hotel's link, through www.choicehotels.com, are spot on.

The lobby of the hotel is very striking. There are books to read and comfy chairs to relax in. There's even a little nook where someone could curl up and have a little more privacy. As someone who occasionally travels alone, I am always conscious of my environment and the safety of my accommodations. It was reassuring to find out that the only entrance to the hotel was the front door.

I've visited enough hotels to recognize the signs of a property which lacks attention. I didn't notice any of those signs at the Comfort Inn & Suites. The hallways were tidy and the elevators were clean. It was quite obvious that the housekeeping staff took pride in their work.

Our room was very nice and was immaculate and comfortable. My nephew, who accompanied me on the trip, noticed the treat waiting for us: a basket with two bottles of water and an assortment of snacks. It was a pleasant and welcome surprise.

One of the perks of staying at this hotel is that Dover Downs provides a complimentary shuttle to their location. Dover Downs is not far from the Comfort Inn & Suites, but after driving for a couple of hours - plus dealing with Friday afternoon traffic - the thought of having someone else drive was very appealing to me. As Star had suggested, we called her shortly before we left the room and headed to the lobby. We were told that it would be about 10 minutes before the shuttle arrived at the hotel. Unfortunately, the shuttle didn't arrive for almost 25 minutes. Star had phoned them twice, and apologized to us for the delay, even though the problem was clearly the fault of Dover Downs. It was a very minor glitch in our stay and certainly didn't affect our opinion of the Comfort Inn & Suites and its staff.

Breakfast was included with our room, and we enjoyed hot and cold selections in the hotel's breakfast area. A different woman was at the desk that morning and although I didn't get her name, she was as pleasant and friendly as Star. She wished us a good day as we headed for the Dover Days celebration, and even asked if we'd enjoyed ourselves when we returned. Check-out was a breeze.

I highly recommend the Comfort Inn & Suites in Dover, Delaware. The location is convenient to Dover Downs and downtown Dover, which boasts many historical landmarks and is simply beautiful. But even if you just stop in Dover for the night, the Comfort Inn & Suites can provide you with comfortable and pleasant accommodations.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor, and from the window near the elevators, we could see the Miles the Mons...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank All_Things_English
Nick764, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
We thank you for your comments regarding our property, our location, our rooms, and our staff. We apologize for the shuttle running late; the shuttle is owned and operated by Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, during busy weekends the shuttle runs late, because they provide the service to all the hotels close to the Casino. We thank you for your recommendation and for staying with us at the Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, Delaware.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 4, 2013

It was the inside that impressed me most. It was a challenge to find something faulty.

It is located close to the sports arena and is a relative new and tall structure with several floors. There is a highway close by: No problem, you will not hear it!

We were met with a rather strong disinfectant odor. Not bad, but definitely not like the fresh air in Yellowstone, and it was especially pungent at the men's restroom on the ground floor. . The receptionist was above average, like someone every kids wants for a grandma. We arrived early from Rehoboth Beach, but a room was ready. Even after we had checked in, she called the room to check that everything was to our satisfaction. Such an act does not cost much and makes you feel “a valued customer”. Important!

It is one of the nicer rooms we have experienced under the Comfort brand. When I plugged in the charger to the wall socket, - it actually stayed in place. Not a first, but too often sockets appear “soggy marshland”. This was Quality! Our room was 218 (handicap) and very close to perfect in this price category. The price was $ 135, but well worth it. It was roomy, beds were immaculate, bathroom was well lit and roomy and away from the morning sun. It had “an office chair” in case you need to work. There were no stains on the carpet or on the chairs. Neither did we find used underwear like in Quality at Salt Lake City (May 2011). Delicate throughout!

Internet worked seamlessly, but you will have to log on anew each day.

There is an exercise room with water, plenty of towels, swipes to clean the equipment and water-cooler. Again, perfect! There was even some odd weighs up to 8 pounds to work out. One of the best I have seen in the Choice chain. Adjacent is a pool and a jacuzzi.

We came for the Dover Days in May. On Friday evening there was a spectacular firework, well visible from our room. It sounded a bit like when Gen. Washington crossed the Delaware River and took out his Majesty's force 3 times his own size! The main activities were on Saturday, but then we were heading south to “NCIS country”.

We chose this hotel over the gold-winning “Mainstay hotel” close to the airbase, - mainly because we feared exhaust noise from jets. This delicate Comfort hotel a definitely “a goal getter”, - i. e. to get you back as a guest! It really aspires to become a gold award winner.

Room Tip: 218 was nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phagerup
Nick764, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Phagerup, we are glad you had a wonderful stay with us during the May 2013 Dover Days celebration. We thank you for your factual comments regarding our bodacious property and for choosing us over the gold award winner. We thank you for your endorsement and hope to see you again in the near future.
Plymouth, NC
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here over the course of several years when we go up to Dover Downs. The staff has always been friendly and the rooms are clean. On our last trip we did note that the hotel is looking like it needs a little updating. However, we will definitely stay here when we are in the area..it is only a mile or so to the casino so it is very convenient. There is a Bob Evan restaurant right in front of the hotel that has pretty good breakfasts (that's all we have ever tried).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4chismom
Vermont
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for one night on our way to Virginia Beach. The room was clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable. The pool and hot tub were nice. Convenient to shopping and attractions. The front desk clerk "Peaches" was the best! She was delightful and super pleasant!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blondie46Vermont
Blondie46Vermont, we are glad you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Comfort Inn & Suites Dover. We thank you for staying with us and for your comments regarding Peaches, our rooms, and our pool. We thank you for your review regarding your stay with us and hope to see you soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stopped here the night of Easter Sunday for a quick night's stay before traveling to VA. I chose this hotel based on its reviews. Maybe the hotels in Dover are particularly bad, because the reviews for this hotel are pretty great.....but for us it was really very average. It definitely served its purpose. We arrived late (9:45) and went right to our room. The room was nicely decorated and the biggest thing I do first now at any hotel (sadly) is check for bedbugs. The beds were generally clean but on the pull out couch we did find two bugs that looked suspicious. They were dead, but a very similar shape and color to bedbugs. Since we found absolutely no other evidence of bedbugs (I've done my homework) we had to HOPE that they were not. So assuming they weren't (we've had no problems now that we're back), the bottom line is that we still found two small dead insects in the bedding of the couch!

So we weren't off to a stress-free start, but it was only for a few hours. Next thing we noticed was the doors were filthy. I mean, really gross. I'm not a neat-freak...and expect some scuffing or residual marks from suitcases/kids/etc....but the doors were gross. They had fingerprints, smudges and dried on who-knows-what on them. There were two doors inside the room (bathroom and back bedroom) and they were both dirty. The bathroom had hairs on the floor (automatic ick-factor in my book) and even the walls had hair on them. To me, this means they use the same rag on the floors/sink/counters (where hair may fall) on the walls and fixtures when they clean them. The little packets of toiletries to use had soap bubble residue on them and were sticky when we picked them up. Again, I'm no dummy and I'm sure that cleaning a million rooms every day can make a person cut corners...but overall, it just didn't feel as clean as I thought it would be. Thankfully, the room smelled clean and we had no other cleaning issues.

The mini fridge made a loud clicking noise intermittently for an hour or so while trying to sleep, until we just unplugged it. Our room was near the elevator (about 3 doors down) and you could hear it all night through the door.

Are these deal-breakers? No. We'd stay again if we were passing through....but it was just a very average hotel stay. We didn't get to experience much else from the hotel since we left early the next morning. Their breakfast was your typical hotel breakfast and was nice enough and plentiful enough to get us through lunchtime. Things were restocked nicely and everyone enjoyed their choices. The few employees we dealt with were friendly. The price was very reasonable and it's not a bad choice in the area, they just need to up the housekeeping a bit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aimathy
Nick764, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We apologize for your room not being cleaned properly. We agree that the doors did have the fingerprints, which could not be cleaned with the standard cleaners, and some harsh cleaners had to be used to clean off the fingerprints. We apologize for the dead insects under the sofa bed in your room. The Maintenance Staff did move the sofa bed and vacuumed underneath the sofa bed. We appreciate your comments regarding our breakfast, our staff, and thank you for your recommendation and your likelihood to stay with us again during your future trips to Dover.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If your heading to Dover for some casino action, and need a place to stay, I recomend this hotel for a good rest spot. Located within walking distance of the casino and several restaurants it was a good deal for me. The hotel also offered breakfast, but due to my travel schedule I had to decline, but if your not pressed for time, I recomend giving breakfast a try. My room was clean, lots of space, and easy to reach, the staff was wonderfull too. Most of all the price was affordable versus staying at the casino, and that won me over, if you have AAA ask for the discount. Although it was a one night stay I was very impressed and look foward to staying there again soon.

Room Tip: If you have AAA ask for the discount.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank james B
We are glad you had a wonderful stay with us at the Comfort Inn & Suites Dover. We thank you for your comments regarding our location close to Dover Downs Hotel & Casino, our breakfast, our rooms, and our wonderful staff. We thank you for your comments and your recommendation.
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my Forth stay at this hotel and I am always very pleased. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, Breakfast is good with a nice selection. Most of all the People are Great. They always go above and beyond what is expected. Thanks so much STAR and PEACHES. Aleays look forward to your smiling faces!! From the Birthday Girls!!!

Room Tip: Every room I have stayed in has been very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JudyW1955
Nick764, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Dover, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Judy, we thank you for staying with us during your trips to Dover, Delaware. We thank you for your comments regarding Star and Peaches, our rooms, our beds, and our breakfast. We hope to see you during you future trips to Dover, Delaware.