“Couldn't stay there - awful smelling rooms”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I booked a night in mid July 2013. The price was right, so I figured I'd give it a try. First, parking is horrible. There's a tiny, barely lit parking lot that had no empty spaces, and an underground parking area that appears to have been made for smart cars only. It says its for compact cars only, but I have one and felt very uncomfortable trying to get in and out of the parking spots.

The hallways above the first floor and the elevator have no air conditioning.. The elevator felt like you would suffocate if it broke down. It was easily 90 degrees or more in there.

I get into the room, and the pictures don't do justice to how small this room was. It appeared pretty clean though, from what I saw. The big issue was the smell! It smelled so strongly of mold or must or I have no idea... But it was bad. The woman at the front desk had me try another room.. Which was even worse. We tried 4 rooms on different floors, all of which smelled so awful that I started to get a headache. I could tell we were frustrating the front desk woman when she told me "the only thing I smell is your perfume clashing with my nose". Haha I guess I would have been frustrated too though. She was nice enough after that.

I knew there was no way I could sleep there. I could barely stand the smell for a few minutes. Luckily, I called hotels.com and they were able to refund my money. I stayed in a different hotel for $30 more.. But it was totally worth it. That's what I get for trying to save a few dollars.

If you don't mind smells and drive a tiny car, you might like it there. I'd advise against it though.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Zeebzz

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel hallways were humid and warm, but our room was air-conditioned, clean and comfy with a somewhat nice view of lake behind the hotel. Free continental breakfast with cereal, toast, bagels, hard-boiled eggs over ice, juice and coffee/tea. There was a small refrigerator with sausage you could heat up in a microwave, but the fridge was far from cold. Also, no fun heating sausage wrapped in plastic on a styrofoam plate. Surprised to see a tight, underground parking area, which kept our car cool from the summer sun. Overall, worth the $60/day price we paid for three weeknight stays while visiting family.

Reviewed July 29, 2013