“never again”

Cowboy Up
Ranked #21 of 197 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A unique experience for our customers, providing great food, drink, dancing and entertainment. Our style is country, but we want to mix it up for all to enjoy, so rock and pop are on the playlist. Serving both lunch and dinner in a family friendly environment. Kids menu available. Children love the music and dancing, so feel free to make it a family night of fun. We ask that after 10 pm on Tue-Thu evenings and 9 pm on Fri & Sat you be 21 years of age.We support our military by offering 10% off our restaurant menu, daily. Each and every night, we pause for a moment of silence for our heroes that serve this country and their families. We appreciate all that you do and what your families sacrifice each and every day. We take pride in the level of service we provide and your feedback is always welcome. Please join us for an experience like no other............"Nothin' But a Good Time" at Cowboy Up!
Dover, Delaware
“never again”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Bartenders and managers totaly unfriendly. Drinks were not very good. Felt like we were a hurd of cattle.

4 Thank toney r

Smyrna, Delaware
“Nice Place”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Cowboy up is a nice place to go. The bartenders at times are more worried about checking their phones and talking to other staff then waiting on people. BUT not all of the bartenders are like that. They also need a lesson in making drinks; wow didn’t know it was hard to mix a rum and coke. Dance floor is way too small for what they are trying to do. You have people running into each other. It is nice to be able to go to a place and have enough room for the people who do not know the dances to be off to the side instead of running into the people who do know the dances. I am all about teaching someone but every time you go out on the floor to dance you have someone drunk bumping into you. They need to take a lesson from Low Places on this note. We have not been back recently because of this. I just wish they would expand their dance floor. Their menu is ok it is getting much better from when they first opened. Just wish they would get different French Fries lol! But it is a nice place to check out just not a great place to enjoy yourself dancing if it is really busy in there.

• Visited August 2013
Smyrna, Delaware, United States
“We love Cowboy Up”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am a regular at Cowboy Up and since the moment I walked into this restaurant/bar I have never been spoken to inappropriately or in a negative manner by any of the employees. As for the owners you will never meet a more friendly, compassionate or welcoming couple. Jimmy and Felicia make it a point to stop by to say hello and take an active interest in their patrons and they families. I love, love, love going to this place. It is because of how these two people and their employees treat us that I feel the need to defend Cowboy Up based on a recent review by a customer.

As with any restaurant/bar there is a dress code and the individual, who recently posted a scathing review for her boyfriend, was completely aware of this dress code and in fact had been addressed with this issue in the past. I say this first hand because I watched it happen more than once.

This is all about a baseball hat. Unfortunately, in this day and age wearing a baseball cap a certain way, backwards or up and to the side, can represent may negative things to the young members of our society. It is because of this, and that fact that the owners are aware of it, that they have strict rules regarding how baseball caps must be worn. This doesn't seem to be an issue for any of the other patrons.

I was there the night this incident occurred and can tell you things did not go down exactly as they were portrayed. Yes he was asked several times to turn his hat around, but let me say, this was not their first, second, or third time at Cowboy Up and each and every time he is advised to turn his hat around. This time because he refused, developed an attitude and because of that he was asked to leave. His negative response and the way he acted is why he was banned.

I was standing outside when the owners went up to their friends and invited them back into the restaurant/bar reassuring them that what happened was not a reflection on them nor would they be treated as if it were. If fact the owner was so worried about them feeling this way she asked some of the regulars to check on them to make sure they were ok and to make sure they knew they were welcomed in the restaurant/bar. I ask you, does this sound like people who are rude and could care less about their customers, I think not.

If you are looking for a wonderful place to spend time with family, learn country line dances, enjoy great food, and meet wonderful people this is the place to go. I promise you won't be disappointed. Don't let this one negative review discourage you from stopping by for a visit.

3 Thank Terri W
Smyrna, Delaware
“Staff needs Anger Management!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Haven't been here in a few months went with my boyfriend and some friends. The first thing that happened was I found hair in my food which I know happens from time to time but gross!!! Then after being in the bar for 3 hours my boyfriend was approached by a bouncer telling him to turn his hat straight which by the way was barely off centered in the first place! He turned it straight but out of habit he pushed it to the side a bit. The same bouncer approached him again saying " are you stupid or did you not understand me put your [--] hat straight" then all of a sudden two different bouncers swarmed him at the bar telling him to straighten it or he's banned! Really it was a John Deere hat barely off center and you are going to kick someone out for that!! Needless to say they got an earful from me as we left. Upon leaving my bf pushed the door open and unintentionally broke it at that time the first bouncer on his ego trip said " you are banned, what's your name?" My bf told him his name and said he wouldn't be back either way the bouncer then replied " no your name is [--]"! After we left the police were called bc of the door, understandable we are going to do the right thing and fix it but the owner approached a friend who was with us cussing and screaming at him just bc he had been with us! Unacceptable and so not professional! Treating your customers like that is ridiculous, this whole situation could have been avoided if that bouncer wasn't on such an ego trip and approached him differently. We will never go back even if we are barred from there! Owner needs anger management and needs a new staff! All of this over an off centered hat, his hat was not completely sideways literally less than an inch to the side and one of the bouncers wore his hat the same way!

6 Thank Gracegood
Lynbrook, New York
“More of a bar, but had great burgers”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect but wanted to try based on other reviews. We arrived at about 8PM with our 19-year-old son. After 9PM, there is a strict no one under 21 policy. Since we were just eating dinner, it wasn't a problem. I believe there is a $5 cover charge, although they didn't charge us since we were having dinner. Many families were there eating, playing pool and taking line dancing lessons. Definitely a fun place. A live band was taking the stage as we were leaving. We had Cowboy burgers and wings, which were both delicious. We were shocked how inexpensive our draft beers were ($2 apiece!). It's a shame we don't live close!

• Visited May 2013

Been to Cowboy Up? Share your experiences!