“A twice yearly trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dover International Speedway

Dover International Speedway
Ranked #3 of 35 things to do in Dover
More attraction details
Owner description: The venue for popular races like the NASCAR Winston Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck series, it is considered, by many, to be one of the best tracks in the U.S..
West Long Branch, NJ
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A twice yearly trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to Dover International Speedway for a number of years now, and it just gets better every time (in fact, I met my soon to be husband there in June 2012). The people are very friendly and there are a ton of vendors (not just the regular driver haulers). There are tons of activities for families with children and the track is close to pretty much anything you need, i.e. grocery stores, a mall, gas stations and convenience stores. We have been fortunate to camp close to the track, but even if you have to camp or park a little distance away, they have shuttle services. Overall, the track is a great family experience for a seasoned race fan or someone experiencing a live race for the first time. Thumbs up all around!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank jubilee4

New Rochelle, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I came here 9/29/13 for the Nascar Sprint Cup race with my son. I was very impressed. I had not been to a Nascar race in 22 years since my father took me to Dover. It was easy to get to and park (from the Delaware beach area at least) in the early morning. Once onsite there is lots to do pre-race, they had a country music concert at 11 am outside (not my type of music) and have a very large "fanzone" area with free activities and vendors. They even had ziplining through the parking lot. One of my son's favorites was the very large display from the US Army - he was able to climb into a humvee and man the gunnery station, walk around and talk to soldiers and handle Army equipment (including an RPG - unbelievably).
The track and its seating was better than I remember it from 22 years ago. The seats have backs! Not what I recalled. From row 20 of Turn 4 we could see the pits which started right in front of us and we could see all the way around the track. The atmosphere was terrific. Even though there was plenty of drinking going on (encouraged by your ability to bring in your own cooler as long it fits under your seat) the crowd was family friendly and very well behaved. The racing was great and the right driver won (JJ #48). I would like to come back every year for the Dover fall Chase race. The weather could not be beat.
Some helpful tips: bring ear plugs and/or large over the ear headphones. The race is on 94.7fm if you have a small radio to use with your headphones (or you can rent them). Bring all your drinks in a cooler, including canned beer (14x14x14 is supposed to be the max but it did not appear to be strictly enforced). Bring another bag (supposed to be clear but again this was not enforced in the least bit) with your snacks. Buy your franks, burgers, fries etc. at the track for semi reasonable prices. Bring sunglasses and sunscreen, you will be in the sun all day from most seats. I bought binoculars but only used them for a minute in a 3.5 hour event. Bring a seat cushion or a small blanket to fold and put on the alluminum bleachers.
The one mile track is what makes Dover great. It is not so small that cars (and their noise) are in front of you every second of every lap but it is small enough that you can see all the way around the track from most seats. Final tip, don't sit too close, you lose the view of the cars near the wall and the noise becomes unbearable in rows 2-10 etc.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Circusboyny
Dover, Delaware
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun for Race Fans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm from Dover so for me the Track is just ok (I'm also not a race fan), but I will say this...With the type of job that I have I have to broadcast from the track every race (twice a year), and it is truely fun walk around, check out the track, talk with the pit crews, and people watch. If you are a NASCAR fan, you will love it. And if you are not a race fan, it is still pretty interesting to walk around such a huge structure.

New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“NASCAR Racing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

In June I returned to NASCAR racing with my daughter for the first time in a few years. For a while racing lost it's luster after the death of my Father in law who was my race buddy for a long time. The return to racing had special meaning as it was my daughter first race at pop pops home track. We spent the entire weekend at the track and made some great memories. NASCAR is truly a family! If you get the chance go to the races it's more exciting in person than on TV. Good Times!

Wilmington, DE
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great Race Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The tailgating and fan zone are the best part of the D.I.S. racing experience. If you are a die-hard NASCAR fan you muct visit the "Monster Mile". The track is located in central Dover with miles of bars and restrantants adjacent to the track. If you love pizza, visit Tony's Italian Villiage Pizza located near the track entrance on the right. To watch the prerace shows and have a few ice cold beers and get out of the heat, head over to Grotto's pizza to the left of the track's main entrance. I always sit somewhere between sections 120 - 125 turn 4 where you have great views of the frontstretch and pit road. Parking on Fri and Sat is free at the track, no problem getting in or out. Parking on Sunday for the Sprint Series is only $10. and leaving the track takes a little more time. Buy your race ticket at the track anywhere but turns 1 or 2. You can buy a less expensive ticket (assigned seating) and sit anywhere you like. There are always plenty of empty seats available and the ushers don't bother you.