“Great if you are into this stuff.”

Johnson Victrola Museum
Ranked #4 of 35 things to do in Dover
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in honor of local inventor E.R. Johnson, this museum explores the sound recording industry from its beginnings and includes displays of early talking machines, records and other relics from the 1890s to 1929.
Dover, Delaware, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great if you are into this stuff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

The main thing I remember is how the staff were excited and very much enjoyed giving the tour...that was worth the entire trip...otherwise if I were there on my own I would have been bored to tears...looking at old stereo/victorola's etc....the tour givers made you interested.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lisa B

Media, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Story of Area's Industrial Heritage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My whole family really enjoyed this museum. I am a member of the Oliver Evans Chapter (Philadelphia region) Society for Industrial Archeology. We document the industrial heritage of the Delaware Valley. The Victrola (later RCA) factory in Camden was an important part of the industrial story of the region and it was great to see so much of the factory's products over the year in one location. We also loved the massive collection of Nipper's, the company's trademark.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank MA E
Manassas, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Music, Wonderful American Innovative Machinery, and Beautiful Wooden Cabinetry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were surprised and delighted to find this wonderful and complete Victrola museum in the heart of Dover, Delaware. The museum displays a massive collection of Eldridge Johnson's Victor Talking Machines, and an overwhelming, but well organized, collection of 78 RPM records that contain both music, and historical voices and events. During our tour we learned about the huge manufacturing facility created by Mr. Johnson which later became the RCA Victor Corporation. The museum has a large number of working music machines (manual, spring wound, pneumatic, and electronic) on display which the museum staff is happy to demonstrate to visitors. The innovative genius on display in the museum, built with the tools and technology available over a hundred years ago is amazing. Our Museum Interpreter and guide, Jackie Collins, was outstanding in her ability and desire to show us in much detail the Johnson Victrola Museum collection, and to share information about the other state museums to visit in Dover, Delaware. We will definitely tour this museum again on our next visit to Dover.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank WMM-Canova-VA
LEWES
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worthwhile visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We've taken company to the Victrola Museum in Dover a couple of times. Since both times there were very few people there we had a private tour. It's really an interesting place, educational for all ages, and free (unless you wished to make a donation), and definitely worth the time.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank randl69
Jacksonville, North Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The one thing to see!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I drove through Dover and stopped with low expectations. The man at the town visitor center said to stop by. I had no knowledge or interest in victrolas, but this Museum was such a awesome experience. The museum is free, but after the tour I had to donate (which I rarely do). I was the only person in there, and i still got my own personal tour. I don't think I will forget this place for a long time. have at least and hour for the bottom tour.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank caleb h

Been to Johnson Victrola Museum? Share your experiences!