“We keep going back”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hampton
“We keep going back”
Reviewed December 9, 2005

There are lots of things to love about this hotel. The rooms are spacious, well appointed, and super clean. Half of them overlook the race track, and it is great fun to take a break from the casino and watch the races from your room. The casino is SMOKE free!!! (I love that!) There are frequent events, like cooking demonstrations with celebrities, but you need to check the calendar for those. It is next to a shopping center on one side and a mall with a movie theatre on the other, so if you need a break, you don't have far to go. The restaurants are the only draw back. The one on the casino floor is pitiful; the deli doesn't have much to recommend it; the buffet is pretty good and it does overlook the track so you can watch while you eat, but who wants a buffet every night? The upscale restaurant is good, but expensive, and there is no place on site for a decent breakfast. If you don't mind going off site for meals, you can't beat it.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank BECKYBECKYBECKY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2005

My husband and I called and booked a reservation. Everything was wonderful!!! I had to pinch myself to make sure I was actually there. We stayed on the 10th floor and the accommodations were way above our expectations. The staff was extremely gracious and they were very helpful. We plan to go back next month and celebrate again.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank DeAnnaH400
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Just a note to see if other people have noticed, but in the beginning everyone was so nice to you. Now the hotel staff is very rude and unaccommodating, including the supervisors. When you call to get a comp room, even if you don't have one, there is no need to be rude to people. I watched the supervisor be very rude and unapologetic when the hotel itself made an error.

I no longer want to be affiliated with a place that you give so much money to and they treat you in this manner. Also, it is my sincere hope that other states get casinos so Dover cannot get the business from the other states as they do now. I bet then we will see much nicer people.

But, the rooms are nice if you can get pass those rude people at the desk. I cannot single one person out because everytime I try to deal with them they are all the same. And I do frequent the place.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 16, 2005

We found this hotel in a "freak" peek at a AAA tourbook while heading toward Philadelphia from Virginia. It has a horseracing/NASCAR track behind it and casino adjoined. We had so much fun here and had one of the largest, most splendid hotel rooms with the most comfortable bed, a plush king that went on forever, with sheets and duvet of very high thread count. Quiet, immaculate. Concierge service was weak when we were there, so we found a great sushi place down the road on our own. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants and there seemed to be "slim pickin's" in this area. We were not there during racing season so perhaps that is a more hectic time, but this place was the perfect resting spot for us. No need to bother with a suite even if offered as a promotion - the rooms are huge! We would return here.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Suffolk, VA
Reviewed February 18, 2004

I love the smokefree casino, I wish more casino's would take this on and stop people from gagging on second hand smoke when they are playing in there casino. I have been too Dover Downs, and it is very nice. The only thing I feel is overated is there overpriced hotel rooms, they are two pricey.I love going to a casino, and stay at the casino hotel, but I can't see myself paying that much for a room, and losing my money in the casino also.I go to BILOXI, MS all the time because I get some excellent free room deals, so it is worth going there.

12 Thank peachesnjuce