“If you like Atlantic City, and want a change of scenery, try here!”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“If you like Atlantic City, and want a change of scenery, try here!”
Reviewed July 25, 2009

My partner and I travel to Atlantic City a few times a year, and decided to try something a little different. We got a complimentary room offer to Dover Downs, and decided to take up on the offer. Apon arriving to the hotel, we were a few hours early for check-in. There was a room available, but I wanted a track-side view so we had to wait an hour or so for that. No biggie. After the hour or so, we went up to our room and it was great. The beds are the most comfortable beds I think Ive slept in at all the hotels Ive gone to. The room was clean and very nice. the track-side view made the stay a little bit nicer. As far as payout, I think Dover Downs matches Atantic City. If you enoy atlantic City, give Dover Downs a try.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tennboy1981

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed June 27, 2009

We usually stay at the Sheraton down the road but our agent had booked us in here as the rate was considerably cheaper. $101 a night with breakfast. First impression as you arrive is "Whoow". Hotel backs onto a Nascar track and my room had a great view onto it, rooms great a lovely beds. Down side, no dis-respect to our elder generation, as I will be one shortly, but I have often wondered where they all go on holiday on the eastern sea-board, now I know, this hotel. It must be 90% pensioner based, majority in those electric buggies. They say there is a world resession on, not here there isn't. Slot machines day and night. Highly recommend the 'pub' at the back of the hotel, fantastic service from Chris the barman and 25% military discount to boot. Hotel a little remote from anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Played here before and this is what we got in return...received 2 night comps (Feb 5 & 6, 2009) w/Buffet breakfast and was quite surprised. The room was spacious w/very large flat screen TV, comfortable Queen beds w/3 pillows each (soft/firm/xfirm), 4 cup coffee maker w/herbal teas and coffee. Elevator accessed w/room key only. The casino floor has a variety of slots and self service complimentry non-alcoholic beverage dispensers. They also have a Club on the Casino floor called "Fire & Ice" for your Thurs/Fri/Sat night entertainment (no cover charge) which includes; buffet style finger food, comedians, singers, kareoke, etc. but you must sign up for their "FREE" CAPITAL CLUB CARD to receive all these perks. The breakfast was awesome where you can order omelets, etc or choose from pancakes, waffles, hash browns, cornbeef hash, bacon, sausage, grits, various fruits, raisin bread, bagels etc. etc. I could go on & on & on, but you must experience it for yourself . P. S. there's also gift shops . . .

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Menifee, California
Reviewed December 6, 2008

The hotel and casino look great but that’s where it ends. Staff members each acted like it was their first day on the job, even the concierge could not answer simple questions. I went to the lobby for my free USA today copy and they were all out. We ate at Michele’s restaurant at the hotel. My wife ordered the crab cakes which were great. I had the rib eye steak, I did not know whether to eat it or make a pair of shoes from it. House keeping was deplorable, there was a peanut and a lettuce leaf on the rug when we checked in, during the stay the room was not vacuumed once and on one day they did not come in at all. I complained to the general manager who did show concern and gave me a free meal at Marabella’s at the hotel. That meal was ok. The elevator requires that you insert your hotel key card each time you use it, great fun when your hands are full. I understand it is for security but anyone can get in with you and get off on your floor and use the stairs to access any other floor, just an inconvenience for the paying customer.
I valet parked on day because it was very cold and windy, a few hours later I called to have the car ready and warm for us but the don’t do that, you have to come down and wait for it in the lobby and its $4 each time to add insult to injury plus the tip!! Hello, I am paying $200 each night on average, gambling at your casino and I have to pay for valet?? Never again, next time I am staying at the Sheraton or similar. Also when I checked out there was a charge of $5 per day for "Resort Fee"?? What the heck is that..I complained and had the charge removed.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank casolaro
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My friend and I stayed November 7th just overnight. We are both Vegas Junkies but can't make it back this year so we just wanted a slot fix. The hotel was pretty inside and the food selection in the casino was very nice. Loved the drink station in the casino... just sodas. No smoking was a plus in the casino. No wins this trip but I love the sound of bells and slots. Won nice at blackjack.

The buffet was just okay and my friend spent some time in the bathroom after her visit.

The room was just a basic one.... but clean, stocked, had a safe and a fridge. Did not care for the shampoo... but loved the coffee and tea pot.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank williamsonj7
Mount Pleasant, SC
Reviewed November 2, 2008

This hotel is very good. This is a casino hotel. I'm not a gambler so I didn't go there to gamble. However, the hotel room and experience itself was very good. My room appeard to be clean. The room was also big. The Buffet was ok. Not the best, but ok. There are lots of eats and shopping near the hotel. There is no smoking at this Casino and walking through the casino is very pleasant. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Big, clean room.
  • Disliked — The loser that gamble.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We made a last minute reservation for a one day stay. When I called they did not have any more rooms available unless you were some kind of card holder. We were advised there were rooms available on line. The website was quick and easy to use. Our check in was less then 2 minutes. The room was average, nothing special. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and a nice size. We purchased the breakfast and dinner buffet on line at the Festival restaurant. There was no savings or faster service for purchasing on line with your reservation. The hotel has other restaurants on site so you can select once you arrive. If you select the buffet for breakfast treat your taste buds to the made to order omlettes. The omlettes are wonderful. The rest of the food was nice. Nothing else really stands out. It was plenty of deserts. The staff was average not rude at all but not too friendly, more professional not personable. The casino is open 24/7. It was clean and filled with a variety of slot machines. There is a poker and blackjack table. The dealer is computerized. Overall it was nice. Our room had an excellent view of the racetrack. Although there were no races at the time, if you are into horse racing you can request that view. Our stay for the room only totaled $243. I thought that was a little much for an average hotel room. I'm sure you can find the same type of ammenites nearby for much less. If you are into playing the slots late nite or early morning you may want to stay here instead of driving up and down the roads.

• Liked — Casino
  • Disliked — price for an average room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)