“Nice Stay”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 2, 2008

This hotel is very good. This is a casino hotel. I'm not a gambler so I didn't go there to gamble. However, the hotel room and experience itself was very good. My room appeard to be clean. The room was also big. The Buffet was ok. Not the best, but ok. There are lots of eats and shopping near the hotel. There is no smoking at this Casino and walking through the casino is very pleasant. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

996 - 1,002 of 1,023 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2008

We made a last minute reservation for a one day stay. When I called they did not have any more rooms available unless you were some kind of card holder. We were advised there were rooms available on line. The website was quick and easy to use. Our check in was less then 2 minutes. The room was average, nothing special. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and a nice size. We purchased the breakfast and dinner buffet on line at the Festival restaurant. There was no savings or faster service for purchasing on line with your reservation. The hotel has other restaurants on site so you can select once you arrive. If you select the buffet for breakfast treat your taste buds to the made to order omlettes. The omlettes are wonderful. The rest of the food was nice. Nothing else really stands out. It was plenty of deserts. The staff was average not rude at all but not too friendly, more professional not personable. The casino is open 24/7. It was clean and filled with a variety of slot machines. There is a poker and blackjack table. The dealer is computerized. Overall it was nice. Our room had an excellent view of the racetrack. Although there were no races at the time, if you are into horse racing you can request that view. Our stay for the room only totaled $243. I thought that was a little much for an average hotel room. I'm sure you can find the same type of ammenites nearby for much less. If you are into playing the slots late nite or early morning you may want to stay here instead of driving up and down the roads.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2008

I was at the Dover Downs Hotel and Casino on a business trip and I can say that it was a pretty decent place. Check in staff was friendly and quick! The young lady that works at the coffee shop was WONDERFUL. The food was great, although I was eating food through catering. Quality of food was outstanding. The hotel is clean and attractive. Excellent room! Very clean, great bed and linens and plenty of towels! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I stayed only one night, but I think for $200.00 per night, my sheets should be changed everyday without a request by placing a card on the bed. I did not like that policy. A hotel that values cleanliness should change their used sheets daily. I feel that would ward off bed bugs infestations. Because of this policy, I am now leary of staying there again. They also had a note in the toiletries basket waring you not to take any extra or you would be charged. This made me afriad to use them. The warning is not welcoming. I made sure that I put all of the used/half used bottles back in the basket and not in the trash because I did not want to be charged for something that I felt should be complementary. The sandwich that I got from the deli was so horrible that I requested a refund. Stay away from the daily sandwich specials in the Deli.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank doverd
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We visit Dover Downs Hotel frequently as our romantic getaway from kids and work. We have always found it elegant,clean, and comfortable. With one exception at the front desk , most of the staff are polite and extremely accommodating. The suites and platinum levels are plush. Although we have noticed that the newest wing rooms have tightened up on the amenities such as no bath scales, towel racks,bottled water or mouthwash, unless you specifically request. The widescreen tv's are a new welcome addition. I enjoy the excercise room and pool and am looking forward to trying out their new Toppers Spa. Complimentary rooms, hospitality reception, valet parking and meals are given to Platinum Club members and we travel often and haven't found a buffet to match the quality and variety of Dover Downs. Our favorite spot to eat at Dover Downs is the Garden Cafe and we love the hot crab dip, hot wings, and crab omelets. The Dover Deli has late night fast food, but isn't as good as it use to be.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Hello Everyone. You will truly love this hotel. From the moment you walk in to when you leave. The beds will make your body feel as though it's melting into the mattress. I fell asleep quickly and slept peacefully. The staff were very professional and attentive. The room was free because of casino perks and we still were treated as though we paid for it! :)
My feelings about the casino are a little different. This was my second trip there and I didn't see many people winning. Lord knows I didn't. I especially don't like that they have computerized tables. That really seems like such a hoax. Playing against a computerized attendant instead of an actual person dealing cards at the 21 blackjack table really didn't seem right. I say go visit the hotel, have dinner at the fabulous buffet in the hotel,shop at the nearby mall and stay away from the casino. Enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I write reviews on here from time to time and I have to say most of the time I'm fortunate that many reports I write are to report excellence....Not in this case......

Last week I experienced oneof the worst examples in customer service I have ever experienced in a hotel in my life and I travel often.

A little background info will help. We stayed here last year the night after the Nascar race for a ridiculous inflated rate but it's all supply and demand and they get away with highway robbery but it was my choice to pay and I did and the overall experience was nice. We arrived at about noon checked in went to the race and relaxed the rest of the night. We decided to do it again this year since it worked out good last year....Was that not the biggest mistake ever!

We arrive around the same time. We live in CT and on the way down my mother got sick with some kind of stomach bug. She had no interest in watching the race and wanted to lay down while the two of us went to the race. So we arrived sat in the valet forever even though employees stood on the curb doing nothing. Went to check in. The girl behind the desk was cold had no personality. She first tells us she has us down for last week and we don't have a reservation ( we have the email confirmation with us that clearly says the date and she was wrong) She types for what seems to be 10 minutes and says oh I found it. She them hands us our keys and tells us to come back at four. I tell her we need a room ASAP and can wait a few minutes due to my mothers illness but four hours would be tough.

All of a sudden the most immature unprofessional manager I have ever talked to in my life appears. He says sorry but he is not giving us our room. My fiance asks why and he says basically because he doesn't have to. I kindly explain to him that my mother is sick and she needs to lay down and he tells me that the lobby will clearout soon when the race starts and she can lay on the couch for four hours. Are you serious? What this is clearly about is the hotel backs up to the track and they don't want to give a "free" view to the Nascar race. I could care less about the view, yes we booked trackside view but he never offers us another room even though he admits they are cleaned. He says some rubbish about how the people who checked out have the right to come back up until 4pm to get back into the room. I have never in my life heard anything so ridiculous. I mean one night close to $400... give me a break.

My fiance called the week before and requested early check in and was told no problem. The manager sat there for five minutes saying I want a name if you called give me the name of the person you spoke with. My fiance didn't take her name never thought in a million years this would turn out like this since we had no problem last year. Most of the people who stay the night before work for Nascar so they are up and out early. The manager is shrugging his shoulders at us and could care less about my mother even though she is standing next to us sick as a dog and looked the part trust me. He kept saying he was working with us the best he can and she can lay down on the sofa in the lobby.

Then the unthinkable happens....The manager runs around the counter gets in my fiances face and starts talking to him in a manner that I truly believe he should be fired for. My fiance says to me later I thought he was going to hit me the way he came at me. I was shocked. He started saying he wasn't going to take this from us and we could leave if we didn't like it. He was the one making a scence it was insane I thought I was in a movie!!!! I told him we had enough I wanted his name and his managers name at first he refused to give me his managers name he told me he didn't have one. I told him everyone has a boss and I want his name and a way to contact him. He wrote down a first name....This guy was a piece of work. Again I told him I want proper information, he finally scibbles down a name.

I think he realized then I was serious and this was going to get reported because he totally changes his tune and stops talking like a tough guy and talks in this passive voice that was simply hillarious! He says sorry your mom is sick and I'm really trrying to do the best I can by letting her lay on the sofa. I was like seriously? Would you let your sick mother sit on a sofa for four hours? The thing that bugged me the most is we stayed at a hotel down the street the night before. I probably could have worked out something with them and she could have slept there if I knew this was going to be a problem.
The manager keeps talking nonsense, basically the same thing over and over...I finally cut him off ask for a zero balance receipt and tell him we are leaving. I refuse to give this place any money after how we were treated. He says to me I don't need the receipt of course they won't charge us. I laughed....Are you serious? Do you really think I'm leaving without documentation so I can get home and have a $400 bill on my credit card????? He actually said to me come on we would never do that....

He finally gives us the receipt and walks away doesn't say a word....As I write this I'm still shocked this guy has a job.....

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family