“not a reliable place to stay at”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
“not a reliable place to stay at”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I made a reservation here over a month in advance and had it confirmed and everything. Then, I get there to check in and they said my reservation had been "cancelled" and couldn't give me any more information. I never got to see the rooms or anything, so for all I know they may be really nice, but I definitely will not be making a reservation there again personally.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Johan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The food is gross. Its processed food … probably frozen and then reheated. If you are going to eat the food, stick with food they make in front of you … like an omelet. The next day, we ended up going to a Mexican restaurant close by which was much better. The rooms were ok. The TV in our room was not a flat screen and no high definition….. we assume this is a standard feature in all hotels. The bed was uncomfortable (too soft maybe)…. My husband and I both woke up with a backaches. The bar was not great. The bar tender had trouble making me an apple martini. They had music but no dance floor. The spa was nice and clean. My husband and I would NOT return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neffe
Colerain, Usa
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband surprized me with a quick getaway after Thanksgiving to Dover Downs for our first visit. We were unable to stay at their hotel but still had a great experience. The facilities are emaculent. The staff are very cordial and customer oriented. We are M Life members and they were very helpful with setting us up with their program. The buffet was great. The gaming experience was wonderful. They have a multitude of games and a large variety of what we like to play. It's great that they have a smoke free environment and self serve soda fountain. There are numerous hotels in the area if the casino hotel is full. Numerous shopping venues in the area and only forty minutes from Rehobeth outlets. Five hour drive from home but well worth it. This will impact Atlantic City. Dover Downs is well worth your time.

• Stayed November 2013
Cobbs Creek, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have been to this hotel several different times... The rooms are always dirty, every time... The bath room has hairs on the floor, soap scum in the shower and soap dish... floors appear that they have never seen a vacuum cleaner.... I have contacted the Hotel, but nothing ever changes.. I love the Casino and all amenities, and I will go back; but I will also bring some spray shower cleaner and maybe clean it myself before using.... One time I can understand... maybe.... but every time is a bit much!!

Room Tip: I do not know about rooms above the 7th floor, but I do know rooms on 5,6 & 7 are almost always...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Barbara M
Pittsburg, Kansas
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I love the private entryway into the suites, makes you feel like a star! We stayed during the summer of 2012 so the date on the header is off, but we had an amazing room! Sleep number bed, massage chair, whirlpool bath, a bathroom mirror that turned into another tv!! MY OH MY the list of great stuff goes on. If you afford the price, it is well worth the visit. Casino is nice, smoke free, great food choices, excellent table games (non-weekend limits). They have live harness racing (seasonal) but no one goes sadly. They could do a better job in pointing out where the racetrack part of the plant is.

Room Tip: Every suite is quiet and private, rooms facing trackside is where the sun rises
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A C
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I decided to visit Dover Downs because of the Package and Stay deals. I found the ad in a local newspaper - for $49 for one night you get $50 in free slot play, free valet service, discounts at the spa, and 2 free breakfast buffets. We usually go to Atlantic City, but we decided to give this deal a try and we were not disappointed. The hotel room was very nice. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom is a nice sized room, the bed covers were very warm, and everything was very clean. And I love when the casino hotel has a safe. The player's club ladies were very nice and professional. The swimming pool was open, but I did not get a chance to use it. The casino is smoke free and clean. My husband and I had a nice time here at Dover Downs and will return at a later time.

Green Features: The casino is smoke free. The hotel tells you about keeping towels for days instead of washing them every day to conserve on laundry products and water.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a great stay at Dover Downs. We could not have had a better time. The rooms were wonderful....clean, spacious, and well appointed. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The casino was spotlessly clean and smoke free, which we liked. If we return to Dover, this will be where we stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends