“pleasant stay at Dover Downs”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from an over night stay. We had a deal from TravelZoo for this hotel & casino.
We are from northern NJ so be aware the ride down the turnpike to Delaware is extemely boring to say the least.
Pros. Hotel is very clean and all non smoking. A big plus since I hate smoking around me. Our room was very large and accomadating. All personnel were friendly & very helpful. The slots were tight but we did win a little. The hotel gives all military active & retired a 20% discount on all food purchases except for in the seafood restaurant. This was a plus since my husband is a Viet Nam veteran. A very nice gesture on the part of the hotel.
Cons. The rooms are clean & large but the carpets & furnishings could use some updating. I did not like the breakfast buffet. Limited on items & just not appealing. We did eat dinner at Frankie & Johnnies and that meal was actually very good. My friends are Italian & they enjoyed it. The chef even made a point to come out with a bowl of marinara sauce that my friend had asked for. That was a nice touch. All and all the only thing I did not like about my stay was the buffet. We go to Borgata frequently in Atlantic City and there is no comparison between the two. We did enjoy our stay & our deal was worth it but we would not go again due to the traveling time. We will stick to AC.

Room Tip: They have rooms with tub & shower combo or just shower. We choose the shower only & it was...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel room was extremely nice and convenient since it's the only casino in Delaware with a hotel attached. However, the rooms typically sell for $100+ a night which they definitely are not work. It's your standard room, nothing special. No great view, no jacuzzi tub, no flat screen... basic. If I had paid for the room I would've been extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The room and service were great.The pool was closed indefinitely .Not too lucky there but will try again.One of the best buffets I've experienced.The gym was huge and has a lot of variety.the staff all around were great.very efficient!the slots were ok regarding upgrades.too many old style slots but a good amount of newer ones.
I plan to return in a few months to stay longer.
My room overlooked the track which was pretty cool.Would love to see. Race from there.
The beds were perfect and the room was clean.
All in all very professional and I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Go with a discount and save.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

A comedian we want to see is going to be there January 17th. We want to spend that night at the hotel and not have to drive 1-1/2 hours home afterwards. I have tried calling reservations three times and they do not have that date priced yet!!!! And most of all, no one cares. You cannot make a reservation. They are only priced through December 28th. Every single date from then until March 2015 is marked as unavailable. If you try other sites like Expedia, etc., it says they are booked (and they really are not). I guess they don't care if people stay there or not. I told the girl it was crazy and she said they are a casino, not a hotel. It seems like a hotel to me :>) They need to get their act together if they want any hotel business.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hfhHockessin_DE
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night on a return trip to the UK. The hotel staff are all keen to please.
The room was a good size with an extremely comfortable bed and a large en-suit.
The en-suit was large and clean, the only downside to the bathroom being the weak shower.
The hotel and casino were all very clean and 'smoke-free'.
I visited Michele's restaurant for my evening meal and it was amazing. I had the New York Strip Steak, it was beautifully cooked.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent, a really good spread.
I would recommend staying here when in Dover.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I thoroughly enjoy Dover Downs. I go there often and spend the night. The rooms are always clean and I never have any problem getting the amenities I ask for. Check in has always been quick and the service is wonderful.

The casino is very nice and very clean. Plus, it is non-smoking. I like the fact that there are attendants walking through and disinfecting the machines. The slots could pay better. I think they are too tight lately. They also have numerous table games (although I'm not into that) and a poker room. I also feel safe there and have no problem walking across the parking lot to the Dover Mall at anytime.

There are several restaurants in the hotel and casino. I enjoy the Garden Cafe. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced. There is also live entertainment at various times. There is live harness racing (at particular times during the year) at the track that is connected to the hotel. Also, there are two NASCAR races at the track during the year.

I definitely recommend Dover Downs and Casino and I will continue to go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bernie303
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms, ours overlooked the harness racetrack. The slot area is very nice. The buffet is worth every dime. TIP: pay the $5 extra at the buffet for the lobster tail and/or the filet mignon. Even the lobby is quite elegant and valet/coat check personable and efficient.

• Stayed: January 2013