“Relaxing Getaway”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 19, 2012

A great deal on Travelzoo brought me up to Dover Downs for two nights. The hotel was nicely decorated for the holidays, spacious and clean. Check-in was quick and painless.

Room: The track-side room had a good view of the horse races from the comforts of my room. The bathroom and shower were spacious (the walls appeared clean, but even if they were not, I was able to shower without having to be anywhere near the walls). Our room was quite a walk from the elevator. **My suggestion is to request a room slightly closer to the elevator or just view the walks down the hall as good exercise.**

Festival Buffet: Very friendly staff in the kitchen while servers were mediocre, at best. The mussels and shrimp cooked in butter and herbs during dinner in the seafood section was one of the better choices. The remainder of the selection was in line with your typical buffet (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, top round roast beef, ribs, salad bar, etc.) There was a diverse selection, but nothing that stuck out like the mussels and shrimp! The view of the track is even better here than in the rooms. **Request for a seat by the window if you can!**

The Casino: The Capital Club employees were very helpful and patient with answering questions and getting me set up with a membership. The cashiers were always quick to pay out and courteous. There are all kinds of slot machines - lots and lots of them (and the casino wasn't very busy so it was nice to be able to be "in the zone" without having someone bursting my personal bubble). My view may be biased since my boyfriend and I both won some money on the slot machines. We went home as two happy campers!

Overall, a nice getaway and not too far from the suburbs of Washington, DC. There is not much to do directly outside of the hotel, but there is plenty to do within the hotel (eat, gamble, relax, watch the horse races). Tanger Outlets in Rehobeth is an easy 45-60 minute drive. There is a local mall which we did not visit and plenty of restaurants along Route 13.

I cannot say anything about Toppers Salon or any of the other restaurants as we did not have a chance to visit them. Maybe next time. I'd definitely return for a little getaway!

Room Tip: Track-side rooms had a nice view of the horse races from the comforts of your room. Request a room c...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank i_TRAVELiNG_i
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I stay here sometimes on the weekends and all of our stays have been a pleasure.
The staff are friendly and gracious; throughout my stay i have many thanks to you Victoria!
The minute you stepped out of the lobby thinks changed.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maszek
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had a long weekend, and decided to spend one of the nights at Dover Downs Hotel. All I can say is "Wow!" The hotel is impressive from the first step into the huge lobby. I got there about an hour early, and intended to leave my bag at the reservations desk while I went into the casino. I was pleasantly surprised when the young lady at the desk told me that she had a double room available immediately, or I could wait for a king room. I wanted to relax for a bit, so I took the double room.

The hotel is very security conscious. The swipe card for my room was also needed for the elevator, and the card would take me to my floor only. It was a nice feature which I appreciated. The room itself was absolutely beautiful. It was spacious and clean. The step-in shower was large enough for two people. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I slept very well, which was also due to the fact that I hardly heard a sound from inside or outside the hotel.

The casino is adjacent to the hotel. It's large, but also cozy. I never felt as if I would get lost because it's laid out well. But if did get lost, there were always plenty of friendly, helpful employees around to help.

I had dinner - and breakfast the next day - at the buffet. There was a nice selection of items, and the employees made sure that the food was quickly replenished as more guests arrived. The buffet is located next to the track, and I was tickled to see sulky riders practicing while I ate dinner.

The only thing I regret is that I hadn't made a two-night reservation at the hotel. But that will be rectified when I return there after the holidays. I can't wait!

Room Tip: I didn't ask for a specific room, but I spoke to people who had track-side rooms. They enjoyed...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank All_Things_English
Reviewed November 7, 2012

i have enjoyed coming to dover downs for the last 5 years....i live in portsmouth va.. and it take me 3 hrs and 45 min....i enjoyed the drive and scenic route...it is a nice getaway for me and my family....i have 2 little girls who enjoys the pool and the buffet....the hotel is closei to the mall, walmart and chuck and cheese.....we even visit the beaches last summer...we had a blast and the 4th of july we watch some amazing fire works from the street next to target. we get away as much as possible...i love the casino especially at nite time when the kids are sleep...this is a great place to come and explore....we have never been bored....thanks dover downs casino for keeping the place looking great....

Room Tip: street view is a must and if you can up grade try the jacuzzi suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank msgemini848
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I had a 24 hr. getaway at Dover Downs. We had a great time. We checked in with ease at around 5 pm on a Sunday. Our room was ready right away. We were on the 6th floor, and over looked the parking lot. I did not request any sort of view, and we really did not care. The room was a nice size, 1 king bed, a desk, 2 chairs and a table in the foyer. It was clean to my standards, which are pretty high. The bathroom was also a nice size, with a large walk in shower. No tub, which was OK for us, as we did not have any of our kids with us. There was a hairdryer, plenty of towels, and the basic complimentary shampoos, and soaps. Also, in the foyer was a coffee maker and some coffee/tea.

After we dropped our bags in the room, we headed down to the buffett which is the only part of the place that we did not love. It was down right gross. Several of our family members highly recommended it, but appartently they have just made some changes and unfortunanlty they were for the worse. It was clean, and it was a nice set up. It has huge windows that look out to the hoarses racing. So that was cool to watch while we were choking down our food. We did not find a good variety, and what we did find was barely warm, and just did not taste good. I would compare the taste/quality to a Golden Coral. (yuck). Dessert was good though :)

After dinner, we had some fun in the casino. It was a nice atmosphere. The staff are friendly. Plenty of bar maids came around, but we were taking turns going up to our room and making our own drinks.

We had a nice midnight snack at the Garden Grill. We also ate breakfast there Monday morning, and it was pretty good.

There are a TON of restaurants on Rt. 13. Also lots of stores and a mall all within about 5 minutes.

I would highly recommend Dover Downs and I intend to return.

Room Tip: If you care about a view, be specific upon checkin. We did not care so we did not ask!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkmaj
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for my birthday weekend as a last resort. (We were supposed to go to Atlantic City but stayed away with hurricane Sandy.) Decided to try this resort out and we are happy we did. Pulled up to valet and they were great. Also a good price, $2 with the casino card. No line at the front desk so we got our room right away. Nice, very spacious, clean room. Bathroom was huge. Room service gave free water and chocolates every day. This was a nice gesture. I just wish we would've asked for a room closer to the elevator. We had quite a walk to get to the elevator and ice machine. The resort is great. Restaurants and everything are all right there so you really don't have to go anywhere. If you do leave, there are restaurants and a mall close by. Close to major highways so easy access to get around. Casino is very nice. We even won a few bucks. No it's not Vegas, but it is a great place to go gamble.
Only complaint was the lady at the front desk wasn't very friendly. She acted like we were bothering or interrupting her at check in. Wasn't very informative at all. The rest of the staff was great. Especially housekeeping and the reservation desk! This is really a nice to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Scorpiochik3
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had a room on the 7th floor for 2 nights and also had our wedding dinner here. Everything and everyone we encountered was a joy to deal with. The sales ladies Kathy & Kathy were easy to work with to coordinate our post-wedding dinner (we skipped a formal reception). Mr. Bob Winton, manager of Michele's was FANTASTIC! He made the post-wedding dinner very special and everything I wanted it to be happened with several extra special details added. Our servers were very attentive but I didn't catch their names. The hotel room was nice, our room overlooked the race track. Only thing lacking was a microwave...they have a mini fridge but no microwave which I thought was a little odd. Also, a personal dislike: the mini wall-mounted hair dryers that they have. I had my hair styled and nails done at Topper's Spa. Carmen did my hair which looked FABULOUS and Allison (?) did my nails which looked great too. Everyone was so nice and wanted to make sure I looked great for the wedding ceremony (successfully accomplished). Overall we had a great time and we are VERY pleased with how everything came together. Thank you all for your help!

Room Tip: The higher the better, in my opinion.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple