“Nice hotel and great casino!”

Dover Downs Hotel & Casino
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hanover, Maryland
“Nice hotel and great casino!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel was very clean, and everything looked very new. Meaning, not an old, outdated hotel room. We had a room facing the tracks, I could imagine how cool it was to see a nascar race from my hotel room!

The casino was quaint and and smoke free. Minimum bets were $5 at the black jack tables (unlike Charles Town - which is $25) and the best thing that I liked about the dealers was that they will tell you what your hand is out loud. Kinda good for me who's crappy at math! The slots were kind to me and my husband on our visit there!

Other than that, we intend to visit and stay here when their Friday night fights resume and maybe see comedian Carlos Mencia in August. It's nearby Dover AFB - which btw has a great golf course there.

After visiting Dover Downs, we would rather visit Dover Downs than go to Charles Town in WV considering it takes the same amount of time to get to to Charles Town from where we are from.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Akiko C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Visited because of an expired groupon. It was very difficult for the front desk to even give me the expired value, but after about ten minutes of discussion they did.
Our room was quite nice, with excellent linens and a great walk in shower, not to mention turn down service.
The casino is smoke free which is great, and if you're a first time gambler there they give you the typical 25$ in free slot play, from which we walked away with about $100.
Michele's, the higher end restaurant there was surprisingly good, offering better than decent food and exceptional service.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael M
Grand Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Went to a wedding receptions held at the Dover Downs. Food was great. There was a variety that could siut everyone. I saw the room my sister was staying in and it felt like Vegas. Very neat place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank DanMeg1
charlottesville, va
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The room was nice and it was clean. The bed was comfy. The room was quiet.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking, as I do, you may want to ask for a room near the elevator. There is...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank j p
Reviewed June 30, 2012

First of all, we had mold/ mildew in our bathrooms. We had 3 rooms and all 3 had mold/ mildew. Housekeeping said, "You want the room to smell like Tilex?" I said,"Yes, if it gets rid of the mold!" She proceeded to tell me she was going to use Tilex b/c she wasn't scrubbing.

If the hotel was cleaned and updated it would be nice. Decor is outdated. The mold in the shower made me wonder what else was lerking in our room! If this is the best Dover has to offer that's a shame. Maybe better management could make the place a gem. As it stands now, it could us an overhaul.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank trudy234
Washington DC
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place is aweful. The class of people at this casino is very low, don't go expecting too much, it is trashy, trashy, trashy! I did not stay at hotel just visited the casino.

Room Tip: Go to Vegas
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank GiancarloBuonarroti
Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My husband and I visited Dover Downs Casino and Hotel in June 2012. I do not believe that the hotel is truly that extravagant. It is 4 Diamond AAA rated but I do not see how. The hotel at best is very nice. The ladies at the front desk on both check in and check out were nice. The welcome was not extraordinary. It was our first visit and no one explained to us the players club. The rooms were clean. There was dust on the lampshades and the lights in the bathroom. The bathroom was decent size, nothing spectacular. The room was good size. King size bed. It was comfortable for my husband but it killed my back. Our room was in view of the racetrack that was cool. The room had a fridge and coffee maker. Don not get me wrong the hotel was nice and clean. I will return when I go back to Dover to the casino. The hotel is convenient to highways and other attractions. Route 13 is full of restaurants and shops. The food- the festival buffet food was good. That’s all. Just good. The food was not always hot. You know how food is when left on the buffet and it does not keep proper temperature. The garden café was delicious. All the servings were huge and the food was hot and the service was delightful. I would not have wasted my money on the festival buffet tickets if I knew how the garden café was. The workout room was standard. The workout equipment was far from updated. The pool looked clean. We did not get in the pool though. Overall, I would return to have fun at the casino.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple