“Disappointed”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dover
New Jersey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My mother, father, 3 sisters, cousin an his wife booked 3 rooms in this hotel for the unfortunate event of my cousins brother funeral in Dover.
First thing, when my father checked in an inquired if the rest of us did, they said we don't have anyone with those names with reservations. We all reserved rooms prior. It was my understanding my father booked a 2 double bed room under AARP rate. I booked a mini suite for me and my 2 sisters under my AAA rate. My father ended up with the same type room as me for way less money. AARP and AAA rates are usually similiar, so I am wondering about that...
They first gave me and my sisters a room right next to a screaming baby. The room had an adjoining door and you could hear right through it, so we moved. Why do they have to put people on top of each other with a whole hotel available? It was a Sunday night an no one was there it seemed... To make it easier for housekeeping?? How about making it nicer for me?? Anyway, the second room smelled like strong disinfectant and I felt like I was in the Penn Station bathroom in NY.
The room was nice, nice bed, and furniture. Bathroom was clean and looked new. The breakfast was less than desirable. The food looked old and stale an everything was under old dirty looking hotlighted cages like at a 1970's Woolworth or Grants fountain counter, or carnival...Very unappetizing! We went to Dunkin Dounuts...

• Liked — Room style and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
West Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed here one night. Visited Dover Downs, Mall etc. on the way to visit family in Long Neck, DE.Very nice and clean. Bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, in a hotel-nice pillowtop king mattress. Price was very reasonable. The only bad experience was the front desk staff weren't pleasant or customer service oriented.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff and the way we were treated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cozi64
holidayexdover, Owner at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dover, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
We are happy that you enjoyed the amenities. Many other people tells us that the beds are comfortable also. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I stayed here on a Sunday night. The room was clean, quiet, and a lot larger than I had expected. Judging from the parking lot, the hotel was pretty empty that night. The bed was probably the most comfortable I've experienced in the HI chain.

The only weird thing was that to enter the main lobby from outside, you have to either swipe a room key or talk to the desk person on an intercom. I've never seen this at a HI hotel, and I didn't think this location was in a bad neighborhood or anything.

Also notable, a new hotel (Super 8 or Sleep Inn, I forget) is being built directly in front of this hotel.

Stayed March 2008
Sydney
Reviewed February 27, 2008

This is a very pleasant newish hotel some distance out of the centre of the city. The rooms were clean and well furnished, although the shower could have produced more water at a lower pressure. Breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express style.

Recommended!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Very nice and very clean.

• Liked — price and clean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Derby, Connecticut
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way back home from vacation - it was late and we just drove in. The hotel was reasonable, rooms were comfy and clean - it is set back from the main road, so there isn't noise from the traffic. THere is a nice outdoor pool - we got up early, enjoyed a continental breakfast, then a quick swim and lounge around before heading back on the road. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank suz
Charlton, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I stayed at this hotel several times in 2006 while in Dover on business. It's a relatively new facility, as reflected in the quality of the rooms and furnishings. The beds are extremely comfortable, with lots of pillows. I had no problem sleeping, as closing the curtains kept the room dark and hallway noise was minimal. Bathrooms are spacious and clean and there's plenty of water pressure in the shower.

I really like the breakfast selection. Some hotels give you nothing but pastries and coffee; here, you can have cereal, toast, waffles, yogurt, fruit, muffins, etc. The breakfast area and the lobby also make good places to meet with colleagues.

• Liked — Quality of rooms; comfortable beds; cleanliness; breakfast selection
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business