“Comfy stay - nicely sized room”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dover
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Toronto
“Comfy stay - nicely sized room”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travel a fair bit for work, and while most hotels start to seem the same there are notable exceptions and this is one. The rooms that myself and my coworkers ended up with were spacious single rooms, with a large lounging area instead of a desk inside a bedroom. Bathroom may need some updating as it looked dated, but was very pleased about not having to unwind in a cramped space. Will be headed back to Dover in a few weeks and will be headed back here.

Of note - Had a room right outside the elevators, was concerned about noise through the night. No problems. Room is deep enough that I couldn't hear anything unless I really tried.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I probably had one of the roughest nights sleep in a while here. I was awoken by a person hitting my door. Presumably the person just accidentally stumbled into the door because it was only one time. The clock said it was :49. Yes, no hour. So I eventually got out of bed because it looked like bright daylight out my window. Pulled the blind fully shut after realizing it was a parking lot light right out the window. Checked my cell and said it is time for some more sleep, 1:49! From that point on, the AC just drove me crazy. Its a window unit that has the controls at the window. Yes there is a thermostat hanging on the wall. But after 3 minutes of messing with it at 2am I realized it isn't operational. So I tried to force the AC unit to run the fan continuously, but that wasn't an option. So every 8 minutes or so it would kick on with a great shudder-shimmy-shake. Even tried to drop the temp to force it to run all the time. But it was adept at cooling and foiled my plan. 4 hours later I gave up and headed off to do my job.

Check in was great. She was high energy and welcomed me. They seem to not staff the hotel after 8:15pm as I came back from dinner and they had the typical sign on the front door saying access via room key only.
I was staying in the area for one night on business. This area is essentially just chain hotels and chain restaurants. You name it and it is here. Two stuck out as not a huge chain so here you go - Shuckers Pier 13 - seafood. Doc Mcgrogan's - seafood - in the casino (dover downs). Doc's bread is day old stuff but the swordfish was pretty good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Not sure what some folks expect for their $ but just booked 3 rooms here. All were clean and comfortable.
Checking in was very efficient...a nice lady called Kimberely welcomed us and was efficient.
Free breakfast was fine, had something for everyone...always being replenished.
Coffee was there all day.

Check out was just as quick and efficient.

Would recommend it.

Didn't use the pool.

PS Emailed hotel a few days before to ask for the 3 rooms on same floor...got a reply and rooms were altogether.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel, room and pool were all very clean. We got a good price on the room and were pleased. Centrally located for easy access to local attractions. We would stay again. We did not have a problem with the staff and the free breakfast was a plus.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leblancfamily
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I recently traveled from New York to Virginia with my 6 year old daughter and stayed at this hotel. I will never stay there again. I am also a member of their rewards/points program which they can keep. Upon check in, the front desk clerk never cracked a smile or even made eye contact with me., it seemed as if I had disturbed her from her personal phone call and she was miffed. The lobby was filthy with dirt all over the floor. When we got to the room, it was about 60 degrees in there and my daughter was freezing, when i tried to turn the heater up, there was a big gust of smoke and the room stunk for about an hour afterwards. The bathroom was not cleaned. There was HAIR IN THE TUB and on the floor. There were also black stains in the tub. The towels felt crispy as a potato chip and must have been 100 years old. The breakfast was horrible and nothing but the packaged heated up "eggs" shaped like omlettes, pastries, bagels and drinks. No healthy choices whatsoever. They only have an outdoor pool which looked dirty. I was extremely dissappointed and will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I don't typically stay in Holiday Inn properties when I travel, BUT in Dover, Delaware, there aren't a lot of high-end hotels. I went to Dover back in June 2012 to take my daughter to her college orientation, and since we were staying 2 days, I needed a hotel. I chose this hotel because of the good rates and the good reviews. I concur with the good reviews. It's a very nice, clean, comfortable and reasonably priced hotel. It's perfectly located on the main highway in Dover...close to everything. Free breakfast was good if you're in a rush. It's not Bob Evans breakfast but it's FREE and convenient. The room was very spacious and I just LOVE clean bathrooms, and this hotel didn't disappoint me. Front desk staff always friendly and helpful. Fresh baked cookies at the front desk. I have to go back to Dover in a couple of weeks to take my daughter to college and need a hotel for a few days. I will more than likely stay here each time I go to Dover.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tnn1970
Washington DC
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Not bad for a one night stay when traveling. Breakfast was average to mediocre and the beds were too soft for my taste. Over all clean with a very nice staff. Customer service was average, no one was going out of their way for you. People in pajamas in breakfast common area I find inappropriate.

Room Tip: check web for price changes, they did honor lower rates as rates went down and back up again.