“Nice Rooms and Price, but computer glitches”

Holiday Inn Dover Downtown
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Hampton, Virginia
“Nice Rooms and Price, but computer glitches”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We made our reservations through “Name your Own Price” on Priceline. With this, you will need to call the hotel to be sure you have the room type you desire (king, double beds, etc.) I called right after I made the reservation to specifically reserve a King, Non-smoking, the gentlemen at the desk updated my room type. I called the next day to let them know that we would be arriving late in the evening, they said no problem and stated that they had us down for a King, Smoking. I was quick to correct them that we needed a non-smoking room. I simply thought that perhaps the first staff member forgot to save the updates from my first call…..until, we arrived there. And as I was signing the paperwork, I saw that AGAIN we were slated for a smoking room. After I explained the situation and my calling repeatedly, they were able to find us a Non-smoking, Double bed, handicap accessible room…whew! Double beds I can deal with, but smoke smells I can not. There is obviously some type of problem with their reservation system.

Other than that, the rooms and bathrooms were nicely decorated and updated and clean. We have a super comfy bed at home, so for us the beds and pillows were not the most comfortable, but still decent.

All in all, I would stay here again, but this time I would ask for them to send me email confirmation of my room type :-) So, when you reserve, be sure to double and triple check your room type if that is important to you…

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2010

List by holiday inn as a new hotel but in fact remodeled hotel that was refurbished in late 2009. room are renovated but show some signs of their previous hotel , old doors etc but generally refurbished to a high standard. When i visited hotel had only just reopened so Restaurant bar etc was not open. It is a no frill establishment but due to the refurb is very clean and tidy and good standard., plenty of places to eat locally and Dover Casino is close by. Good place to stay for a stop over or if visiting Dover downs not worth staying more that a couple of nights as very little to do in the local area.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2010

The hotel was recently a howard johnsons. When it was it a total dump. They did a fantastic job remodeling. The place was clean and up to date. The only draw back was the restaurant didn't open until 7 . If that was bad enough the kitchen staff was late and didn't get it open until well after 7.

• Stayed November 2009
Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Recently remodeled and beautiful! We were in town for 1 night for a family funeral. Had to go back for a second consecutive night to handle family business. Staff was Ultra friendly and honored our EVERY request.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
luvtheflsun
Reviewed December 21, 2009

We just stayed in this hotel this past weekend. It was a very nice hotel and I would recommend it to everyone - just not on a weekend it is going to snow. Granted, we showed up on blizzard 2009 weekend but it should have never taken us 2 hours to get out of the parking lot. When my husband went to the front desk t inquire aboutt them clearing the lot he was offered the maintenance shovel. He had to shovel the car out - get in try to drive it 3 feet, get out and shovel again all the way out to Rte. 13. My husband has a bad back and is in a significant amount of pain today - also, this caused us to be later getting to the opportunity to get on an earlier flight - instead of staying 14 hours in the airport.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Just stayed at the Holiday Inn in Dover. This hotel is brand new. Restaurant wasn't open yet. The staff said about two weeks away. Lobby was beautiful. Our room was clean and inviting. Staff seemed friendly. I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple