“Nice stay near Dover Downs”

Holiday Inn Dover Downtown
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dover
Maryland
“Nice stay near Dover Downs”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great looking room. Very Clean. Beds a little too hard, not a great sleep. Overall okay room and okay stay. Very close to everything and shuttle goes to casino. Pool was closed and they had some problems with cable chanels. But they have us certificates towards our dinner in thier lobby restraunt. Actually some of the best food I have had and great crab dip with Old bay chips! Still thinking about them!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stopped here on our way to DC from the Lewes Ferry. I was travelling with my husband and son, who had just turned 3. They put all of the families with small children at one end of the hallway, which I thought was a wonderful idea, as other families with kids are much more likely to be understanding if your child throws a tantrum. We had requested a refrigerator for his milk, but they were all in use, so the staff offered to keep it in their refrigerator overnight, which was great service!

The rooms weren't fancy, but they were clean and the beds were comfy. One note to those who are allergic to dust mites - the headboards are upholstered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went on a 2 day visit to celebrate out wedding aniv. The staff were good and the hotel was very clean. The staff were helpful regarding the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend wanted to go to Delaware for his birthday for one night so we chose the Holiday Inn because it was cheap. Upon arrival the place looked deserted on the outside and on the inside. Walking in, there was a sign that said no cash at check in and pool closes at seven. My boyfriend put the rooms on his card until the next day, when I would pay for two rooms in cash. Anyway I get to my room and it's a roach floating in our toilet and when we open up the ice bucket, it's chewed up gum at the bottom of it. In another room the AC isn't working. That is like four strikes right there, but we brush it off because after all we are only staying for one night. The next day we get dressed and head out and I stop at the front desk to pay the lady in cash. Oh, and please remember to give the cards back because they charge you fifty dollars a card if you don't return them. Please! fifty dollars for some holiday inn keys. My boyfriend runs back in to give two more room keys in and the lady says oh thanks, I was just about to charge your card. What really ticked me off is that today I wake up and my boyfriend looks at his account and the hotel is still holding the money. He calls the bank and they say that the hotel is still holding the money and they charged him 100 for the one room keys. So my boyfriend calls the hotel and they say its the bank, but my boyfriend says he already talked to the bank, and that she was lying. Now the lady says that she think she lost our information and to give her time so she can print some stuff out. Anyway we are still going through the process of trying to get his money back right now. They must not get a lot of business so they try to get money anyway they can. When you start playing with my money, that's when I get upset. Don't walk, run pass this place! Speed by, don't even take a look at this place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shanae M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Shanae M,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for the billing issues you had and any inconvenience may have caused you. I also sorry for the room accommodations that fell below your expectations. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Dover hotels

Panama City, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2012

When we arrived in Dover, the first five hotels we stopped at were full because of mass power outages in nearby Maryland. When we first arrived at the Holiday there was no vacancy there either, but a cancellation came thru, and so we were able to stay. The beds were comfy, but the air conditioning was subpar at best. Maintenance even came to the room to check it out, and got it working a little bit better, but it was still far inferior for the job. Part of the reason for this is the total lack of air conditioning in the hallways, but the main problem we didn't figure out until we were getting packed up to leave after the second night, when i was sitting on the bed and glanced at the hvac unit and realized that you can actually see daylight around it! The seal around the unit is so poor that the unit just doesn't stand a chance... Customer service was also an issue. After the first night, we debated what to do for the second night, and even called the front desk to see about changing rooms. We were told if we wanted to change rooms we would have to pack all of our belongings, reload our van, vacate the room we were in, and come back four hours later - after the 3pm check in time - to see about getting another room. There was no offer to let us stay put until another room became available. We figured that meant the hotel was booked up for the second night too, so we opted to stay where we were, but boy were we mad when we returned later that evening to find that there were only five cars in the parking lot with ours. With all of those vacancies, there was no reason for the total lack of options we were presented with that morning... Also, be warned that there is NO complimentary breakfast at this hotel. For upwards of a hundred bucks a night, this is unheard of in all of my travels. We we stunned. We actually called the front desk the second night to ask about breakfast hours, figuring we would have breakfast at the hotel before checking out. They advised us of the hours, but neglected to mention that they actually charge extra for breakfast... No thanks. We'll stop at Wawa. And next time we are in Dover, we will be sure to choose another hotel too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My reservation at the HIE up the road was messed up and had to stay here with the family. Paid $146 after taxes. This is an old property, not new like most HIE's. They have tried to give it a facelift, but still is a bit shabby. Room was clean but hallway smelled of smoke. Not sure why hotels allow smoking anywhere the smell is just to hard to get rid of. AC unit in room was loud, light was flickering even after turned off and I had to remove light bulb (Room 401, I think). Alarm was set to midnight and we did not notice it was set, so that was a bit of (shouldn't housekeeping check these things). You are better off trying one of the newer hotels on the strip like the Sheraton. Staff was nothing spectacular.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHG Care at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Jmjm14,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor and for appreciating the cleanliness of our rooms. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained. I am sorry that the smell and the loud air conditioner negatively affected your stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A.
IHG Care
Columbia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I win a gift certificate every year from the Holiday Inn where I work, I look forward to coming to Dover, because we like to go to the Downs, but this year we were very unhappy with our stay. I had taken a pic of the HVAC in the room and it was so Nasty, filthy, now how the people before us didn't see that, I have no idea.....Also the face plate where the latch of the door is was missing the screw on the top part, and it stuck out slightly, we did alert the housekeeper, and told front desk, but I was just very unimpressed with this stay. Upon arrival also no one was at the desk, they were in the area behind the desk. I guess I might just expect too much cause we really try to make our guests feel welcome when they come to stay with us.
I do understand that maybe since I was an employee from another hotel, i was just put in a "room" but there was no reason for the HVAC unit to be that filthy. I also had to skim the pool before I could even get in to swim. The area around the pool is not maintained at all and just needs TLC??
It's ashame, cause we do enjoy the area, but not liking the stay. Hope next year is better

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Dawn M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Dover Downtown. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.