“No Big Deal!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
“No Big Deal!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

For yrs people have talked about how good the Waffle House is and frankly I didn't miss anything. The silverware is not rolled up in your napkin. We had the "pleasure" of getting one crumbled napkin each and each fork, knife, and spoon manuelly placed on the napkin. The tables were sticky and dirty. Its mostly ran by loud irritating young people. I guess that's how they get along. I will say the staff was well mannered and the food was pretty good, but they need to fix the place up a bit. I will keep going to IHOP.

Union, New Jersey
“Our Seat was right next to the kitchen”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I could literally touch the cook if I wanted to, thats how close my seat was to the kitchen. We moved from the window because of too many flies,but it didn't matter because this waffle house was infested by them. Then sitting there waiting for my apple juice, I turn around and the lady is squeezing the juice out of a kid carton of juice. Just bring me the box of juice! Then all of a sudden water splashes in my face by a lady in the kitchen, I guess the faucet went haywire. After that I got up and left.

Visited July 2012
Smyrna
“Do they ever wash the coffee pots?”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My visit didn't last long after I saw the coffee pots. They looked like they only had water rinsed in them for months! The glass part of the pot was so brown made my stomach turn. Left!

Visited February 2012
Smyrna, Delaware
“Good value”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

nice selection of breakfast items. quick service, friendly staff.

Visited February 2012
Bend, Oregon
“Never Again...”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We have stopped in Waffle House restaurants a couple of times in the past while driving cross-country and desperate, never with a good experience. We had to wait for a prescription to be filled and decided to have breakfast, we were near and for some reason (masochism?) decided to try out Dover's Waffle House.

The place was fairly dirty (not quite on par with Jim Gaffigan's jokes about the chain - but close enough) despite roughly 6 employees in a tiny restaurant. The menu is the place mat, a touch of class right from the start. The entire time that we were there an off-duty employee sat complaining about his hours and pay, while stating that he shouldn't be there as his drivers license is suspended and he shouldn't be driving - another little tidbit to class the place up.

I ordered eggs over medium, a large order of bacon and coffee, my wife had waffles and coffee. You have the honor of watching your food cooked right before your very eyes! If the restaurant is Teppan style or gourmet, this is always a treat. In a 2 bit greasy spoon the kitchen is better off hidden - trust me. By now our coffee was empty but no one was going bother to do anything about that - all 6 seemed insanely busy but were accomplishing nothing of note. It is fortunate that there were only 2 or 3 other customers, otherwise the place would clearly have been overwhelmed. It seemed that all the other customers were employees of the same restaurant. You would think that they would know better, but it gave them the opportunity to complain about their jobs, etc.

My eggs (over easy rather than medium) came first, with the toast and accompanying hash browns, and my wife received her hash browns but no waffles yet. I could see my bacon (not the large order that I requested) sitting waiting to be delivered but they had been forgotten. If I could have caught the eye of one of the 6 employees I would have done so but they were all busy with accomplishing nothing and refusing to make eye contact (singing vile modifications of Christmas carols seemed to occupy them as well). Eventually someone noticed the bacon cooling and requested that another person, who seemed somewhat baffled at the concept of delivering a plate in a 'restaurant', deliver it. It showed up now, coffee was empty but no offer to refill, in fact just a grunt as he handed it to me (yes, handed it to me). The waffles were now out of their maker and cooling - while the bacon was noticed the waffles weren't, and at this point the entire affair was becoming somewhat comical... After a few minutes the now cold waffles were delivered.

Once we were done, the concept of delivering the bill was a step too much. We waited. We waited a bit longer. Finally I went to the register and the 'waiter' looked at me, appeared slightly dumbfounded and said, 'I was just getting your check', then pulled out his order pad, looked around bewildered for a calculator (it was in front of me - which was clearly the last place he would think to look) and asked a patron at the counter to calculate it for him. Seriously.

The meal was cheap, I'll give it that, probably the cheapest meal that I have eaten in some time. It was also horribly over-priced. I am not a cook much less a chef - and I can cook better. To appropriately rank this restaurant's level of culinary quality would require language which is not proper for polite company. Rhymes with 'pit-hole'.

The only reason to go to this dump is for comedic value. After your laugh, go somewhere else to eat with a much higher culinary standard - say, McDonald's. I have few one star reviews, this was as low as I could go. I over-rated the place.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Bigguy425

Been to Waffle House? Share your experiences!