“Roma Redecorated”

Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Roma Redecorated”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Roma is the best Italain Restaurant in Dover, Delaware. We have been going there for over 25 years. It keeps getting better. Now a new menu and redecorated, you can't get any better.

• Visited July 2012

“Great meal for the $$”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Over all we very much enjoyed our meal at Roma. We had muscles to start and they were awesome. I had gnocchi with vodka sauce that was delicious and my husband had lasagna and he said he enjoyed that as well. There were a few minor things that could have made our dining experience a little more positive. For one, the restaurant itself could use a little updating and we were seated right next to the door on a cold rainy night. Another minor thing, I had a salad with my meal and I asked for oil/vinegar for my dressing. They put the oil and vinegar in plastic cups instead of bringing the glass bottle like most restaurants, so you are very limited as to how much you use. Overall the prices were fair(about $12 an entree), the food was very good, and we would go back again.

Maryland
“Expected much better”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

While visiting Dover for the day, a few co-workers and I tried this restaurant for lunch on the strength of the reviews here and the "Best of Delware". Perhaps dinner is a different experience, but lunch was really disappointing. The service itself was fine (soda and iced teas were refilled prompty) but our simple meals took a good 20-25 minutes to arrive from the kitchen (at 11:30 am; the main dining room where we sat was nearly empty, but there was a large party in the room next door). I had ordered the veggie sandwich, which was described on the menu as "carrots, spinach, zucchini, red onions, tomatoes, portabella mushrooms and mozzarella" on a "crispy roll". The sandwich I received contained no spinach, no red onions, and no portabella mushrooms, but instead seemed to be a mix of whatever vegetables the kitchen had on hand - including broccoli, corn and edamame, which seemed to be bizarre ingredients for an Italian restaurant, and I certainly wouldn't have ordered a sandwich described as containing those items. Though the menu didn't specify fresh mozzarella I had somewhat expected it based on the sandwich description, but the cheese was in fact just some shredded mozarella mixed into the veggies. The roll was a standard sub roll, and soggy rather than crispy. One co-worker ordered the white pizza and asked to add proscuitto, and the pizza came with ground sausage on it instead. She would have sent it back except that we had waited so long for our food to begin with. Only one person was happy with their meal (the sausage and peppers sandwich).

To be fair, the prices for the lunch items were very low by the standards to which I'm accustomed, but you definitely get what you pay for. I would rather pay a few dollars more and eat a meal that a) matches the menu description/what I think I'm ordering, b) is higher quality food. I will be traveling to Dover often in the future, but I will not be returning to this restaurant and would not recommend it to others.

• Visited May 2012
Fishkill, New York
“Good food friendly staff”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The friendly staff was very responsive to our group of 11. The food was generally very good.and the beer selection excellent. My veal piccata, lacked the usual capers and was a small but delicious serving. My wife's ahi tuna was excellent and the portion more genrous. Prices were fairly average.

• Visited April 2012
“Best Italian in Dover”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Roma and Cool Springs are the only places to go for a nice dinner where you will get consistently prepared, excellent food. The olive oil dipping sauce for bread is unmatched. Their seafood specials are wonderful. All of my friends have a favorite Roma dish, and they are all different, which shows the array of great dishes prepared here. The chicken parmesan, seafood risotto, Roma steak, vodka sauce, lobster ravioli, I can go on and on...

Visited March 2012