“Average”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I had been meaning to return to Mira Monte as I was there a couple of years ago and not particularly impressed but based on the reviews here I thought maybe I caught them at a bad moment. I went with a group of 5 and no one was particularly impressed. It wasn't terrible, there was simply nothing outstanding in any way. I would not have been surprised if it was our server's first day, she seemed overwhelmed even though it was not particularly busy and knew little about the menu.

I was put off a bit by the sign outside which said canolli was included for dessert with every meal - I'm not a dessert eater generally speaking but when others asked they were told it was for 'to go orders only'. Wouldn't it be good to say that on the sign?

I can't say that I will never return, but I won't hurry to do so.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

My wife and I went to this restaurant to have dinner before a show. We picked it because of the high rating (#1 in Dover). The atmosphere was very good; dark, warm colors, lot of old-world pictures on the walls. I have lasagna, which was advertised on the menu as a "house specialty" and my wife had a penne pasta dish with scallops and asparagus. The portions were extremely large, enough for two meals for a young person, four for us (we're both drawing Social Security!).

I would rate the food as good, but a long way from excellent. Lasagna is supposed to be "meat-heavy". Their lasagna is "cheese-heavy". In addition, the marinara sauce was extremely acid; I prefer a sweeter sauce. My wife said her meal was "alright", but no rave reviews.

I thought that for a strip mall restaurant, the prices were a tad high. The lasagna was $18 and came with no sides, although that particular day, they provided a complementary (very small) garden salad and a (also very small) cannoli for dessert. My wife's dish was (I think) $16.

Service was polite, but short on sensitivity. For example, if you're having pasta, what condiments come to mind? Parmesan cheese, red peppers, maybe fresh ground black pepper? None of these was on the table and none was offered by the waitress; we had to ask.

Would we go there again? Probably not because, in our opinion, it was nothing special for the price.

2  Thank FrugalGormet
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We almost didn't bother when we saw this little place in the corner of a strip mall. But, the inside was nicely done with cloth napkins and table cloths and even salad forks!.. The real deal was the food. I have eaten a lot of Italian food, including in Italy, and this was among the best. Plentiful, interesting, and authentic. My husband never likes anything and even he would recommend it. Casual is ok. Great place!

1  Thank fichucat
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We ate here as it was number 1 rated in Dover. The restaurant was a bit difficult to find but well worth it. We had an excellent meal, we both had fish, and the price was very reasonable as they had a special mid week price of salad/ soup, any main course plus dessert for only $15.95. Service was efficient and friendly. Highly recommended and a nice change from the chains.

4  Thank lucindah
Reviewed July 30, 2009

This little restaurant is hidden in a corner in a shopping center in suburban Dover. We scoped it out when we were visiting Dover this week based on the reviews we read on Trip Advisor. The reviews were right on target. The food was outstanding! There were two adults and three children in our party. Started off with house salad. Then enjoyed gnocchi, ravioli, stuffed flounder for the main course meals. Cannoli for dessert. Staff was attentive. The restaurant was tastefully decorated. Definitely a good place for a romantic dinner for two. Should we travel there again, we will be back!

1  Thank PSNoble

Been to Vincenzo's Pizzeria? Share your experiences!