“Great place to watch the sunset”
Review of Rusty Rudder

Rusty Rudder
Ranked #11 of 45 Restaurants in Dewey Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Great place to watch the sunset”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We've been to the Rudder many times over the years and prefer eating out on the deck over the indoor setting. It's not a 5-Star, but the food is good. Sure the staff is harried... they are running hard in the hot sun - so give them a break.

The food on the deck is better than average beach-bar food: burgers, seafood, chicken, etc. Need something a little more elegant? Try the indoor setting - or go somewhere else - it will make it easier for the rest of us to get a table.

Most afternoons and evenings there is live entertainment on the deck to watch the sun set across the bay. Sit back, relax and enjoy the view - and maybe another margaritta... you are at the beach!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank G M

Virginia, USA
“Don't take your family here - you'll regret it”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family and I spent a weekend at Dewey Beach and were referred to the Rusty Rudder by the owner of the home we were staying at. From the outside, it looked great. An amazing deck that overlooks the water with live music and what we thought was nice dining. When we were sat (at a great table on the deck), and began to order, we were told that main entrees were not ordered for 'deck seating'. Basically could only order sandwiches or appetizers. I inquired to the manager, and when I asked "why is that", the only response was, "well, we just prefer not and to keep it more casual." What?! I can't order a nice fish for dinner b/c you choose not to have your wait staff bring it out to the table? So, since we were hungry we reluctantly decided to move to the inside of the restaurant, BIG MISTAKE! The inside is very sterile looking with silver metal tables, not atmosphere, and like eating in a cafeteria. We order our food, and it was very sub-par at best. Way over priced for the quality that we rec'd. Bottomline - if you are looking to take your family out to a nice restaurant - avoid this place. If you are single and looking to have a few drinks, then maybe you'll enjoy it.

• Visited June 2014
Pennsylvania
“Rejected at Rusty Rudder”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I was excited to visit Rusty Rudder as a few friends told me they had live music and a great view. I stopped in around 6 pm for dinner and thought I'd listen to some music and enjoy a great meal. Well, was I wrong! I sat outside (of course, that is where the music is and the view!). The waitress gave me a menu that consisted of a few appetizers, salads and sandwiches. I asked for a dinner menu and she said , "oh we don't serve dinner on the outside dining area." What???? It is 6 pm and you are not serving dinner? I asked, "Do you have a dinner menu?" She responds, "yes, but you have to sit inside." I looked over the menu and saw a few entrees I would like and asked her again, "are you sure you can not bring me this dinner entree?" "Nope, you have to go inside" No band, no view, nothing I wanted inside. So, I asked another waitress and two hostesses and they all said, "Sandwiches outside. Dinner inside" WHAT A JOKE! I guess they only want to sale drinks and sandwiches. I saved $26 bucks (plus drinks and tip), but was I was in total disbelief and disappointed that I could not order a meal and was rejected! Would not recommend this place if you want to get dinner.

Maryland
“Average bar food, terrible service, superb location”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Ate dinner here on a Friday night because we wanted to have dinner on the bay to watch the sunset. The restaurant bar is huge, there is inside dining room dining and outdoor deck dining/ bar/music. There was live music which was nice (we arrived at 8 p.m) and the view over the bay can't be beat. However, be warned, the outdoor dining tables are moved at 9 p.m. to accommodate the crowds for the live music that starts somewhat later. So if you want a leisurly dinner pace, eat inside or come earlier. Younger crowd outside, older families inside. Our server seemed completely uninterested in serving us, don't know if she was stressed or overworked, but she got several different parts of our simple order wrong (wrong beer, added cheese to burger when not ordered, etc.) and was MIA most of the time. The food was average bar food, not bad, pretty good. I had a turkey burger which was standard and my husband had the crabcake sandwich which he said was good. The wedge salad was huge and also good. Go for the view and average bar food, and go early to eat outside.

“Rude Bartenders”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We went to Rusty Rudder for a drink after dinner because it was close to our hotel. It is in a great location with a nice view, but the bartenders were very rude and slow. We stood at the bar, which was not busy, and the bartenders stood around and talked to each other and a group of people sitting at the bar. When they finally got around to waiting on us they were rude and acted annoyed. This could be a great place if there was friendlier service.