“Nothing fancy”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Dewey Beach
Sterling, Virginia
“Nothing fancy”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We weren't expecting much for a dog-friendly motel at the beach and that is what we got. The rooms were clean, but very out-dated. If you are interested in a motel with amenities, then this isn't the motel for you. They do not offer things like in-room coffee maker, iron or hair dryer. However, it is very close to the beach and the owners are friendly. If you enjoy experiencing the local scene then this is a good place to stay. The sun deck is a good place to sit out and chat with other guests of the motel and locals that stop by to chat with the owners. I do agree with the other reviewers who noted noted that the rooms smell musty. If you are allergic to mold, I would not stay here.

Room Tip: If you stay on the second floor, you can use the sun deck to dry wet beach clothes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eve H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Let me start out by saying people this place is not the Ritz. Of course it is overprice so is everything in the Delmarva beach areas during season. That being said, the place is clean, and it does have a very nice deck on the 2nd level which was right outside our rooms. The beds are fine, sheets were clean. This is a very small hotel and the owners are very kind, with animal owners being just as friendly. It is a close walk to the beach as well. I would stay here again. A few downsides, you cannot use a hairdryer at the same time you use the air conditioning or you will blow a fuse. We did this several times before being told. There is not a hair dryer in the room either so you need to bring your own. The towels are pretty shabby and my room mates had holes in it. There is no phone in the room, and the TV is an old school box tv. But truly how long are you staying in the room? We were barely there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisannez
camp hill pa
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I am currently staying at Bell Buoy and am satisfied. I have a comfortable room, quiet surroundings and my dog is treated like a little queen. Todd is a wonderful person who is kind, helpful, thoughtful and a joy to converse with. The rates are reasonable and I have all I need to get away to the beach. Great parking area, awesome people and I WILL return.
Again, thanks Todd for making my stay more enjoyable.
Thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank LisaH52
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stumbled upon the Bellbouy Inn entirely by surprise. It was unplanned that we were going to be staying overnight but thought it best to do so, and in that decision were we introduced to the Bellbouy Inn.

Todd is a great guy, a plethora of knowledge about the town and where to go, what to do, and how best to do it.

Debbie, the manager, was pleasant and genuine. The animals were friendly like the staff.

It was a shame that we did not stay longer and that the weather wasn't better.

From the balcony you can see the sun ride to the east and set to the west and with a short walk (1/4 mile / 0.5 kilometer) you are on the beach and with a short walk in the other direction you can be at the Lighthouse: a great bar on the inner bay.

We look forward to our next stay and hope it can be soon.

Room Tip: The room we stayed at was the upper room (3rd floor) on the right. I suppose you might call that th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wtewelow
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in late September, and it was very enjoyable. It was a short walk to the beach, and the price was very reasonable for being so close to the water. The building is a little old, but the room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and professional. There were pets, but they were unobtrusive and their owners cleaned up after them. I loved my stay here, and I am already making plans to come back next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend. Quality of my room is very poor and beds are terribly uncomfortable. It's expensive for the lack of quality. Also very outdated. Feels very low class. Will never recommend to friends or family. Would advise everyone not to waste their money here. Hated my stay here. Would rather sleep with a bum on a bench than support the existence of this establishment.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Travelingtogreatplaces.

Travelers are raving about these Dewey Beach hotels

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were hesitant to book this smaller motel after reading a few of the negative views about smelly, not clean, and rude. Our room was very clean, no moldy smell, and everything worked from the a/c and shower to toilet, microwave and little fridge. If you want fancy with amenities like pool and hot tub, then go elsewhere. But if you want friendly, clean, smaller and quiet with the beach right at the end of the block then this is perfect. We will book the same room again here next year. They had plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner. They even gave us an extra hour till 12 since my husband wanted to enjoy the beach a little longer and the room was not booked yet. It was so nice to be able to come back to the room, use the bathroom for my husband, and relax in the room while my husband stayed on the beach longer. We stayed on the 2nd floor which has a spacious deck.
Some rooms take dogs, and even the dogs were friendly and quiet. There were no noisy parties. Dewey beach was rated one of two best beaches in Delaware. If you like a quiet, laidback and not crowded beach with a room so close to the beach this is it!

About five blocks away on Wednesday nights from about mid June through August they have night bonfires with bring your own hot dogs and s'more makings, and on Wednesday nights movies. We enjoyed getting to see dogs at the beach roughly before 9 and after 5 and the owners were good about cleaning up. Rehoboth is only five min. north for all the commercial places to enjoy, although Dewey does have about 1/2 mile of places to shop and eat.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a has deck area and the laundry room is right there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple