“Horrible service ruined it for us”
Review of Ed's Chicken & Crabs - CLOSED

Ed's Chicken & Crabs
sonhomeu
“Horrible service ruined it for us”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went there with my boyfriend to enjoy fresh crab and the experience of having to extract the crabmeat from the crabs. We didn't know how many crabs we needed to feed us so we inquired with the woman at the cash register selling the food. She was extremely unhelpful and rude and told us in multiple ways that she didn't know how many we needed and didn't eat crabs and it wasn't her problem. As a result we ended up with too many crabs, that were all too small and had next to no crabmeat. We spent a lot of money for next to nothing. The side dishes weren't very good either. Our veggies were overcooked and pretty tasteless. We tried to be positive and make the best of the experience, but it was obvious we needed less crabs of a bigger size (which they sell, but we didn't know to buy them since the lady was so rude and unhelpful). We walked down the street afterwards and ordered a crabcake sandwich. I would never recommend this place or return.

• Visited July 2012

Annapolis, MD
“True Beach Experience..”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

OK. You have to know what you're getting into here. Chicken Ed's is a true seafood shack -- as authentic as anything you'll find in the Florida Keys. You order through a screened window, then wait for your food and dine at very basic, painted picnic tables (many with umbrellas). I discovered this place on my last trip to Dewey and kicked myself for not finding it earlier! My sister and I dropped in on our way out of town and both of us had the fried clam platter. Greaseless, delicious clams served with wonderfully fresh corn-on-the-cob (dripping with butter), really tasty cole slaw and a so-so roll.
Yes, there were bikers sitting next to us (very polite and nice guys) and yes, I had to shoo some flies away (heck, we're outdoors). But on a nice day or evening, you couldn't ask for a better beach shack experience. Not super cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either ($9.75 for fried clam platter with 2 sides and roll). If it's really hot or raining, there is a small indoor dining room. Come with sand on your feet and a craving for seafood or fried chicken and and you can't go wrong.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank bayblues
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Good place to eat crabs.”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Good place for outdoor crabs. Eating at picnic tables on side of the highway. Must bring in own beer. Could have used more Old Bay. Restrooms are behind dumpster...not for the squeamish

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank DMS17000
eastern PA
“A beach experience. The kids will love it!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Okay, yes the other reviewers mention it as dirty OR flies buzzing around. Yes, that is all helpful, because when I went I knew what to expect. It's a crab shack...that's it mystique! But seriously, if you just want to order a dozen crabs, bring your own cold beer/wine, have the kids crack, smack and have fun with eating crabs all on a beautiful summer night as the sun goes down, then this is the place for you. Its not terribly cheap, a dozen medium crabs being $35. However, the crabs are good and ours were super fresh and cooked perfectly. Eating at Ed's is a true beach experience that you and the kids will not soon forget. Bring bug spray/wipes, handiwipes, cold drinks, and a good attitude and you will enjoy your experience. Our service was a little quirky, but super friendly. They answered all our questions. The mac and cheese, hush puppies, chicken plate, fries were all good.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ihearthistory
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

One of the worst experiences I've ever had at a restaurant. I'm not one to complain but the poor service was over the top. We had a party of eight that went, four of which wanted to pick hardshell crabs. When we placed the order, the guy at the window made a snotty comment to the effect of "that's all you are buying?" We got 18 jumbo crabs and four meals. Tab was $120 dollars. After they came out and set up their crappy picknick tables, I went back to the window and asked for more brown paper. I explained that I had two small children and wanted to cover the table so they could eat off of it. The man said we only bought enough crabs for four people so we could not have any more brown paper. I responded that we spent $120 and asking for another piece of paper was not unreasonable. He insisted that was all the paper we should get. I told him it was an incredibly stupid way to run a business and his business must be really good if he doesn't mind losing a customer over twenty cents in paper.

• Visited August 2012