“A beach experience. The kids will love it!”
Review of Ed's Chicken & Crabs - CLOSED

Ed's Chicken & Crabs
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Okay, yes the other reviewers mention it as dirty OR flies buzzing around. Yes, that is all helpful, because when I went I knew what to expect. It's a crab shack...that's it mystique! But seriously, if you just want to order a dozen crabs, bring your own cold beer/wine, have the kids crack, smack and have fun with eating crabs all on a beautiful summer night as the sun goes down, then this is the place for you. Its not terribly cheap, a dozen medium crabs being $35. However, the crabs are good and ours were super fresh and cooked perfectly. Eating at Ed's is a true beach experience that you and the kids will not soon forget. Bring bug spray/wipes, handiwipes, cold drinks, and a good attitude and you will enjoy your experience. Our service was a little quirky, but super friendly. They answered all our questions. The mac and cheese, hush puppies, chicken plate, fries were all good.

1  Thank ihearthistory

Reviewed August 22, 2012

One of the worst experiences I've ever had at a restaurant. I'm not one to complain but the poor service was over the top. We had a party of eight that went, four of which wanted to pick hardshell crabs. When we placed the order, the guy at the window made a snotty comment to the effect of "that's all you are buying?" We got 18 jumbo crabs and four meals. Tab was $120 dollars. After they came out and set up their crappy picknick tables, I went back to the window and asked for more brown paper. I explained that I had two small children and wanted to cover the table so they could eat off of it. The man said we only bought enough crabs for four people so we could not have any more brown paper. I responded that we spent $120 and asking for another piece of paper was not unreasonable. He insisted that was all the paper we should get. I told him it was an incredibly stupid way to run a business and his business must be really good if he doesn't mind losing a customer over twenty cents in paper.

1  Thank Sean C
Reviewed August 13, 2012

You have to go to Ed's with the mindset that you are going there to have fun, not dine at a 5 star restaurant! If you want some fancy meal, why would you go to a roadside place? My husband and I have been there several times and have never ordered anything except the broiled seafood combination. We both love it! The lobster tail is delicious, but pretty small. There is usually a good amount of shrimp and scallops plus a couple of crab legs. Corn, roll and coleslaw come on the side. To really enjoy Ed's you have to get into the "experience" which is yes, outside tables in the hot sun (during a typical summer early evening in Dewey), sloppy eating, watching cars and people go by on Rt. 1, shooing flies away, being dressed casually (some people in their beach attire) and enjoying the food - which for us is broiled seafood, not fried stuff. Ed's actually has some indoor seating with air-conditioning, but to us, being inside just isn't the true Ed's experience. If you're in Dewey, you should try Ed's - and keep an open mind!

1  Thank VCat12
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I've been eating at Ed's since I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. I still eat there. So does my family. I even know Ed. Personally. lol. It's delicious seafood and chicken, but my heavens is it badly overprices now. He has jacked up the prices so high you'd think you were eating at The Ivy in Beverly Hills.

When you break it down, it's more like eating good seafood, Beverly Hillbillies style. You sit outdoors, you battle flies and mosquitos, you go through wads of paper towels, and you leave with your close messy and your fingers stinking like a fisherman's net.

We still go there because it is good food, fast service, and of course, it's a Dewey Beach tradition. Ed has been great to us over the years. But again, it's like a Louisiana concession stand selling shellfish and chicken at Los Angeles prices.

Try it and see, but don't say you haven't been warned about the lack of running water and toilets (sorry Ed, but the porta potties out back, and the one sink with a trickle of water don't count), the battling of flies, bugs, traffic from the street, and the picnic tables that never seemed to be cleaned off very well.

I think my best suggestion is to place an order to go, then take it home (or to your hotel) to eat. Just make sure you have plenty of cash on hand, and that your paycheck was recently deposited into your account, because his prices will break your budget.

1  Thank John G
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Checked this place out twice while on vacation. First time just for some steamed shrimp and corn. Took way too long to order (2 of us in line for 10-15 minutes) as it seemed ownership was doing a TON of back-and-forth complaining to each other. Perhaps this was due to it being the start of their day....in any event, quite unprofessional. One of our people went back another day, enjoyed a nice Po Boy, but with very undercooked French fries.

Lastly, 2 of us went for some crabs..and they were great!

I don't think they pride themselves on their service...and given what this shack is, it's understandable. Would tell someone to go to enjoy the crabs....just be prepared for 'rustic'.

1  Thank Fornia455