“Nice little spot to grab a burger.”

Nalu Hawaiian Surf Bar & Grille
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Dewey Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Since this place was across the street from my hotel, we decided to give it a try. I enjoyed a nice burger with lots of toppings and was more than satisfied with the meal, service, and cost. Would recommend for families or just a place for friends to grab a bite.

1  Thank Benniek21

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This place has a wonderful theme, and is visually a great place to go when you're 'at the shore'... but that's about all it has going for it.

It's a good thing you have things to look at because there is a lot of waiting, Even when business appears 'slow', the service drags. We had to wait nearly 15 minutes for a table, which would have made more sense if there was a line ahead of us, but there wasn't.

We were not even offered a seat while we were waiting for our table, we had to ask and the hostess was not enthused to accommodate us (By the way, my mother walks with a cane due to a knee replacement so standing for upwards of 8 minutes is difficult for her).

The table we were finally placed at had been open from the moment we had arrived. No parties had left, and only one had arrived shortly after us, It's a small place, we didn't see any parties arrive after us that they may have been holding the table for, and again, aside from the bar, the place did not appear "super" busy.

Menu designs were playful and cute... but the actual selection and quality of food itself, is no better than the quality you're used to getting at local chains. The only difference is you'll wait longer, might pay more and won't be treated as valued guests.

In my personal opinion, the staff had that attitude of: "You're just tourists who we'll never see again and this place is looks so awesome that we don't have to put any effort into being truly hospitable."

I wouldn't suggest this place to families with impatient little ones for a family diner choice... but perhaps instead for anyone just looking to kill a chunk of time between other activities.

It's probably not so bad to just stop in and have a few drinks at the bar. Least you might get quicker and more attentive service there. I just wouldn't recommend it for anything more than a casual passing through sort of experience.

One last thing about all that waiting, they do have a parking lot, but be prepared to pay a bit extra. All spaces have parking meters, 25 cents for every 10 minutes. We got 2 drinks (non-alcoholic), 1 appetizers and 1 entree. Add in the 15 minute wait plus the slow service, we were there almost 2 hours... so that was another $3.

So if you're passing through, I actually suggest to stop by for a drink at the bar just for the visual experience, but don't expect a lot.

1  Thank Ace L
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Food is consistently and so is the service. We love the burgers and fish tacos. Nachos are outstanding and so are the harbenaro wings.

1  Thank Ralph C
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Had an awesome time there this past week with some friends. We went and sat at the bar and had some of their frozen drinks which were amazing! Also had the nacho's which were really good. This place has a good atmosphere for families as well as the younger crowd. I will definitely go back once I'm in Dewey again.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Went here with some friends for the first time last week. The food was really good, but thats a given after drinking one of their rum buckets ;-P. I would highly recommend it, it has good vibes and seems like a good place for people my age (20-somethings). Mahola!

3  Thank Sean R