“Perfect Surf Bar”

Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you like beach surf atmosphere this is the place for you. Great drink specials, tacos and service.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Was celebrating our anniversary and having honeymooned in Hawaii thought it would be worth a shot. Nice atmosphere with lots of TV screens showing surfer movies with killer waves. Passed on the nacho's having seen a mountain go by the table and wanted to save room for some of the tasty looking deserts. My wife had the macadamia encrusted mahi with lobster sauce which was wonderful and well prepared. I had the sesame tuna which was cooked rare and was delicious as well. My plate had two ramekins containing the sides which I though was a bit strange. I don't care for having the bottoms of these dishes on the same plate as my food, my wife's side dishes were just put directly on her plate. Once the ramekins were taken off, the plate looked bare of any garnishment, not even a slice of lemon. My boys loved the mac and cheese side dish I had ordered. One of the boys had the burger which he thought was excellent and the other had the black bean burger also a hit for my vegetarian son. Desert was a disappointment, no creme anglaise for the coconut ice cream cake, caramel was substituted but the brownie with kalua ice cream was excellent. Only real critique on the atmosphere was that some male customer walked in barefoot and without a shirt and hung out at the bar. Not really into seeing armpit hair while I'm trying to eat, or anytime for that matter!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

After passing Nalu a few times on our way to the beach we decided to stop by for dinner one evening. The atmosphere is fun and "beachy".

The food is pretty good; not authentic, but good.

I got the pork tacos and they were flavorful. My wife and son had burgers which they both enjoyed.

I think the biggest hit for our group was the Back Scratcher drink; the drink for my wife and the included back scratcher for our son. Gimmicky, yes, but it is a Hawaiian Surf Bar in Delaware you need to set your expectations accordingly.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Nalu has been around for a number of years and is always one place we stop in, to enjoy some good food and great drinks. If you have a family plan to visit on Tuesday nights. This night offers half price Burgers and with a bunch of kids one can get out of there with a minor dent in your pocket. The Burgers are delicious as are the Waffle Fries which comes with it. Beers and Drinks are reasonably priced and the service was excellent. There is a lot going on around the Restaurant with video's of surfers and sporting games on a number of flat screens. This is a open air restaurant if it is not to hot which allows the sea air to give you that real beach feeling. Next time in Dewey Beach give Nalu a try.

1  Thank whytegroup
Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you are a nacho and beer lover, that's the right place BUT if you are looking for real hawaian dishes or just a seafood lover, you went to the wrong place. First we had as a starter the "ahi poke" which was barely a tropical salad with little tuna but very far from the real hawaian dish (made solely of marinated fish). As a main dish we had the seared sesame tuna which was overcooked and tasteless. The service was good but the food very disappointing and overpriced!!!

1  Thank Travelalot0007
laidback3780, Owner at Nalu Hawaiian Surf Bar & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

We apologize to this person that they did not have a great experience at Nalu. We do try everyday to give the 100% best service and food but sometimes mistakes do happen and we do take responsible for our mistakes. If this person would have made a complaint to management that night we would certainly have taken our version of Hawaiian Poke off the bill and immediately redone their Tuna to the correct temperature until they were satisfied. I will say that we are changing our American version of the Hawaiian Poke next season to 100% authentic like some of other Hawaiian dishes that this patron unfortunately did not get to try but maybe next time if they reconsider and give us a second chance...:)