“Call Restaurant Impossible Immediately”
Review of Ches Del

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ches Del
new jersey
“Call Restaurant Impossible Immediately”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife has her theory about restaurants. If the place is packed then the food is good. On Sunday October 13,2013 we were on Route 13 heading back to NJ when my wife spotted a hundred cars at a diner. We immediately veered off the road into Ches Del territory. We could only find space at the counter for immediate service. I ordered the corned beef hash as it was advertised as ”home made”. My wife ordered some type of omelet. I hate to say this but this is a place that should be closed, bulldozed and re opened or import some Greeks from New Jersey who will show you Delaware folks how to run a diner.
I love salt. I even salt my water. The corned beef hash was so salty that I thought Portuguese fisherman has prepared it for the journey home. Cardinal sin for this potato lover is tasteless not cooked home fries. A moron can cook good home fries. The stuff was cold, uncooked and dreadful. My wife took one bite and sent the food back eating only my toast. I ate the stuff, paid my bill and went to the bathroom before I left. I have always believed clean sparkling bathrooms mean clean sparkling kitchens. The bathroom reminded me of a rest stop I used in Woonsocket Rhode Island. Never again Ches Del. Robert Irvine get down there ASAP!!Nice people who are trying to do a good job but are failing miserably.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank keyasset

Brooklawn, NJ
“The Ches-Del is a Classic”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

For many years, the Ches-Del was a mandatory stop on the way home from Florida, close enough to be an end-capper, but far enough to be a needed respite before the journey home. My grandparents swore by the place.

It's not quite the same now. Highway 1 has left the Ches-Del a bypassed relic, with traffic speeding by and over the Canal. The restaurant looks a bit old, rust spots and faded paint. Walk in, and it's much the same. Half the room is blocked off. The wall drapings are dirty, and the paint is showing it's age. There was very little energy, and few of the patrons were younger than 50.

That said, there's a quaintness, a sense of place to the Ches-Del. Their menu reflects the area, heavy on the seafood, led by their Crab Imperial. The vegetables were fresh and in-season. The food was reliable. The dining room sports a nice little Astroturf display with various stuffed animals displaying baseball logos.

It may not quite be the heydays of the Ches-Del, but it's a great little spot for daytrippers and the occasional visitor.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank KJE1776
Delaware
“Diner Food in Southern New Castle County Delaware.”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

A mix of old and new space in this New Castle County institution. The Ches Del has been around for many years. Breakfast, lunch and dinner with many different specials on certain nights. Food is pretty good-it's a diner-and the chicken and dumplings are gut filling. These are Delmarva slippery dumplings for those accustomed to the "drop" dumplings you might find in Pennsylvania Dutch country. They do serve alcohol at this diner. You can sit at the counter in the front or be seated in the spacious dining room. Open for dinner every day but Monday and Tuesday.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank roadtripper3739
Fort Washington, Maryland
“Not to be repeated”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The smell will ruin your appetite when you enter. It smells of septic or old uncleaned carpets. Tired and run down feeling.

Visited May 2012