“Never stayed in a hotel with a ripped out closet before...”

Crowne Plaza Wilmington North
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claymont
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

They need signage by the road because you have to drive through the brandy-something corporate plaza parking lot to get to the hotel. The lobby and half of the hotel room looks clean and modern, but the other half looks like they have up on remodeling halfway through. The closet door is ripped off and the bathroom looks like it's from the 80s. 15 min from the airport but I'm not sure why we paid $100+ to stay in a hotel room that's been somewhat torn apart...

• Stayed: August 2014
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Thank you Amy W for sharing your first Trip Advisor review with us. We are working with the local municipality on getting approval to install additional signage at the main entrance and expect that to happen very soon. I sincerely apologize for the issue with the closet. There appears to have been an error in the selling status of this room, and you should not have experienced that issue. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this in more detail. And thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Had the worst experience!

Stayed there earlier this month while vacationing in Philadelphia.

We checked in on a Saturday night, and the hotel was fully booked. Guests were running screaming up and down the corridors and in the floors above and below us until 1:30 A.M.! We had to complain about the noise because we couldn't get any sleep. There were microwaves on makeshift tables outside the elevators and every time you stepped out of the elevator there were about 2 or 3 people standing in line to use the microwaves and you would have to walk around them with your luggage or bags, etc.

Then, I accidentally I left my $900 Canon camera on the bed in the hotel room when we checked out. Unfortunately there was not a safe in the room.

It took us a whole day to get through to Lost and Found the next day on the phones, because the phones were down - yes, for the entire day! When we finally got through later that evening, they said they didn't have it in Lost and Found, and it was gone.

I've left a few items in other hotels before over the years, but these items were always located and returned to me via Lost and Found. But not at this hotel. My $900 camera was stolen! We had to report it to the police.

An overall wretched experience. You can't trust the hotel staff not to help themselves to your property, so AVOID THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank KDMODE
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

The hotel respects KDMODE's right to post a review of this type on TripAdvisor. So for the benefit of all Trip Advisor travelers, there are Innkeeper's Liability laws in effect in all states. All hotels are required to have a safe available for the storage of valuables free of charge. To protect hotels from fraudulent claims of items missing or stolen, hotels are not liable for any items allegedly left in hotel rooms. That said, if a guest is 100% certain that an item was left in their room, they have every right to file a police report, and in turn allow the police to investigate the matter for them. It is otherwise unfair to accuse the staff of theft, especially in light of the fact that most hotels, including our own, reunite guests with their belongings or valuables each week, in some cases items of great value. Let the law enforcement professionals do the investigation and they will determine if there is merit or not to a claim of theft. With regard to the phone system, there was indeed a local outage that affected our hotel's system, and Verizon ultimately restored service late that day. Thank you for the opportunity to share this information.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I stopped for the night on our way to NYC. Very large room was very clean. The dinner at Embers was fantastic. My wife had the vegetarian platter and it was delicious. I enjoyed the Delaware salad with goat cheese.
Staff was very friendly and helpful with directions.
Will stop on our way back from NYC.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much Skeetlax, for spending time at the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North on your way to NYC, and in particular for singling out both the hospitality of our staff and your great dining experience in our restaurant. We do strive to maintain the highest quality and cleanliness in our hotel and we appreciate you recognizing the hard work of our staff. Looking forward to seeing you on your return trip.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Old building with renovated public areas that look very nice. Only one person at front desk the few days we were there with a constant line. Very disappointed that they placed us in a room not requested, when a frequent guest. The front desk person found us a decent room. Air conditioning unit is loud. Room was fine and clean. Pool deck is in serious need of repaving. Surprised no one has gotten hurt. Pool was wonderfully, cool and refreshing. Staff very nice. Good location to Philly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you jojostew for being a top contributor and for staying with us. We appreciate you highlighting the many improvements the hotel has made and in particular for recognizing the hospitality of our staff. We do have a beautiful pool and are in process of doing some small but important repairs to some portions of the pool deck. Thank you as well for the other observations and we will work to improve there. All the best to you in your future travels.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

My flight was cancelled due to weather & we couldn't get a hotel near the airport. Our Airline helped my colleague & I secure rooms (we had to pay for it) & this was the closest we could find. Naturally, we were very glad to get rooms at all! We arrived early evening & the desk clerk Dan was very friendly & helpful - even provided us with a "care package" with toothbrush, comb & other amenities when we told him of having no luggage. He was very busy as he appeared to be the only one on staff. He should be commended for his attentiveness & sense of urgency to get through his line! The room was okay, a little worn, but okay & I was glad to not have to stay all night at the airport! We went to the restaurant where there were a few other patrons enjoying dinner... there were more people at the bar. The service was slow as it appeared there was only one server - he was a bit overworked, but extremely pleasant & you could see he was trying hard to keep up. They were out of my colleague's first dinner choice, so he suggested something else- both of our meals were good & served quickly once the order was made. I give him "A" for effort, but suggest that they give him a little help- maybe the bartender could pitch in a little or something?
The room was standard, bed was comfortable, the bathroom was pretty clean however as I was brushing my teeth, the wood cover on the front of the sink cabinet moved when I leaned into rinse> as I tried to slightly lift it to push it back in, it completely fell off onto my foot. I picked it up & tried to snap it back into place & could only get one side to go back in properly. My foot hurt, particularly my 2 smaller toes but I finished brushing & figured that it would be fine- maybe a little bruise. Within a few minutes, my foot began to swell & it hurt to put weight on my foot. When I went down to the desk, I informed the desk clerk of what had happened. I wanted to be certain that they were aware in case it got worse & so that they could have someone fix it so that it didn't happen to someone else like a child or older person- that board was pretty heavy. I did say I didn't think it was major, but wanted her to know just in case - I figured they would want to see it or have me fill something out, etc. Nope- she just quickly apologized & offered me a discount on my room. I stated that I didn't need her to do that, but someone should look at the cabinet. She said she would have someone do that & asked my room number. She was very pleasant, but certainly didn't seem very concerned - about me or the room. She never asked me to speak to a manager or if she could do anything (icepack?) for me. Another gentleman was there who identified himself to another guest as a district sales manager, I think. He listened & watched me talk to the desk clerk, but never said a word.
It seemed uncomfortable for me to have to complain, but worse when it seemed petty to the hotel. It is very lucky for them that I am not a whiny wimp or a litigious type of person! I went to the restaurant, had breakfast which was okay, met up with my colleague & departed for the airport. Within about 3 hours, I could barely walk on it. By the time I arrived home, my foot was black & blue & today, 2 days later, I can still not put on my shoe or walk on my foot. No one appeared concerned at the time & quite honestly, I don't feel they would care much if I called now. I would've expected that the hotel- if even from a courtesy standpoint- would've followed up or at least asked for details at the time. Just not what I expected from a Crown Plaza> Short staffed but friendly; okay rooms; older, somewhat worn hotel & in need of a few repairs!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank OceanDog

Thank you OceanDog for sharing a very detailed review of our hotel. First, thank you for singling out Dan, our front desk agent for his attentiveness, hard work, and hospitality particularly during an unexpectedly busy period. A sudden and intense lighting storm hit the area, causing a large number of flight cancellations in the evening. We did not pre-staff for this unplanned event, which is why the hotel was so busy with displaced travelers. I do want to apologize for the reported incident with your room. While it appears we initially acknowledged it, we missed the mark in following up with you to make sure you were well. This was a freak occurrence, and I apologize that our staff did not appear to understand the seriousness of the incident. Please feel free to contact me directly as we truly do care. Thank you again for such detailed feedback and we wish you the best in your travels. David Hirsch, General Manager.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have such mixed feelings about this hotel after my stay. So I'll just tell my experiences and fellow travelers can come to your own conclusion. I was in town for job training. Upon arrival, I had to wait 23 minutes while the lone staff member dealt with a complaint over the phone. Although when I first arrived it was just me waiting, the line quickly grew to 7 other guests. I finally checked in, went up to my floor. When the elevator doors opened, I almost walked right into a table with a microwave on it. I thought that was very odd, but proceeded on. I noticed the carpets in the hall were dirty and worn and trash was throughout here and there. Upon entering my room, I noticed the carpets were even worse there. I inspected the room, which was huge and smelled great. The bathroom was tiny but modern. I noticed there was no shower curtain and called the front desk for one to be installed. The lone staffer told me since she was alone, she would have to move me. I got downstairs to get my new keys and was told I was being moved to the quiet, executive floor. Great! I thought. She also gave me vouchers for free breakfast. I got settled and went to order room service but was told there was none that evening because only one person was working the restaurant. So I go down to order my food to go. I get back upstairs and my order was wrong. At this point I'm exhausted and just want to et, shower, and go to bed. I called down just to bring it to their attention and the staff member was very apologetic. The following evening upon returning from training, I successfully ordered room service. However, my order was wrong again. Around 11:50 pm I was awakened by thunderous banging. It scared me out of my sleep. I then heard laughter and voices. I peeked out thedoor, saw multiple teen boys ramming carts and themselves against the walls. I called the front desk and was told security was already on the way. The noises stopped by 12:05. Day/night three was uneventful and I was able to get good food and rest. On the morning of day four I went to use the complimentary lotion for the first time and noticed that it was only about 1/2 inch full as if it had been used and left there by a previous guest. The shampoo and conditioner tube were full though. After getting back from training later on that evening, around 4:50 pm, I get to my floor and there are still room service trays and trash lining the halls. It looked as if no service had been made to the so called executive floor. Inside, my bed was made but the linens were not replaced in the bathroom nor was it cleaned like it had been the days prior. My used towels and bath rug were just folded and put back (all were still damp). Around 12:30 a.m. the thunderous banging and noise was back for a second time. This time literally shaking the doors. This definitely ruined my sleep. I just waited, knowing security would handle it. The noises stopped pretty quickly. However fifteen minutes later, the boys were back. The next morning at check out, another guest who happened to be coach of one of the many hockey teams staying there was thoroughly complaining about all the noise and about how that team was not being held to the same agreement they all had to sign upon staying there regarding adult supervision, etc. She expressed everything I felt and then some. The staff member apologized and told her that group was already scheduled to check out that morning so there really wasn't anything else he could do.
overall, I would say that the staff were very friendly and mostly helpful. The rooms were large and comfy. But they definitely need to work on their cleanliness (carpets especially). The hotel isnt in the best of areas, but i never felt unsafe coming or going. Also, I understand that groups bring in good money, but they should warn other guests about when there are large groups of kids in the hotel, especially if you're on a "quiet" floor. And hold the adults fully accountable. Even if that means kicking them out.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank denise s
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you Denise S for sharing many important details about your stay, pro and con. We have already printed out your comments and are in the process of sharing them with all of our staff. Many of the items can and are being addressed right now and we are confident that they will be improved upon to ensure they do not become repeat issues. We are glad to read that our staff by and large was helpful to you and these same valuable team members are dedicated to excellent customer service. Thank you again very much for taking the time and effort to share these comments with all of us!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for three nights as we were in town for a hockey tournament at Ice Works, about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. This is an older hotel, and I believe it was a Holiday Inn previously. Lots of pros and cons with this place. First of all, the location isn't bad for hockey tournaments - it's not far from the arena, but it's a little tricky, as you have to get on the Interstate, which is actually right there...but returning, there is construction and you have to navigate the exits pretty good, but all in all, not too bad getting to and from. The hotel stands alone in a business park setting, and the parking lot is ample and well lit, but the area itself I felt is a little run down. If you turn left on Naaman's Road, however, there is plenty of shopping and restaurants. My room was very nice, and was huge, which was great when you have hockey equipment to spread on the floor between games. Also, the beds were very comfortable. There was a fridge in the room, which did not seem cold enough and I could not find out how to adjust the temp. The room itself was very quiet, and I never heard anything above us or next door, although people were In the room next to us, so very soundproof. The bathroom was rather small but updated. It even had a lighted makeup mirror in it. The hotel also has a guest laundry room, which is something I look for to wash hockey clothes in between games. However, it appeared in our room, and a couple of friends remarked to me also about their rooms, was that you could tell that the carpets were visibly dirty, in my room and also in the hallway and common areas. They really needed to be cleaned. I also noticed that hotel common area garbage cans were overflowing, and didn't seem to be readily taken care of. The staff was great! No problems there, very friendly and helpful. One problem I did have was obtaining some clean towels and room amenities, but that was soon taken care of by a woman who worked the breakfast for the hockey groups (down in the lower level). She was fantastic (blonde hair-I didn't get her name). The hotel also has a very nice outdoor pool. All in all, I really did like the hotel,,,, but could use just a little more attention to detail.....

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ryryry

Thank you ryryry for sharing some very detailed feedback and giving us both pros and cons about our hotel. We very much appreciate the business your hockey team gave us and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, particularly our restaurant hostess, Patricia. We are in the midst of completing a deep clean project in the hotel in light of how busy the hotel has been lately, which has restricted our ability to shampoo some of the guest room carpets. We are focusing on this attention to detail as we speak and will have these items completed shortly. All of your comments are shared with our staff and with the great team we have, we can and will focus on filling in the gaps and making everything a consistently great experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Claymont
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington
Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Crowne Plaza Wilmington North? Share your experiences!