“Disappointed”

Crowne Plaza Wilmington North
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claymont
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have always stayed at this hotel even way back when it was Holiday Inn. I always ask for early check-in (noon) and have always received it with sometimes a short wait. This time Joe at the front desk told me we'd have to wait until 3. So we had no place to go and finally got in at 2. Then he said he wouldn't charge me for an upgrade which being a gold member, I have never been charged before. Thought he was doing me a big favor. The up grade included a refrig. that didn't work, a tub drain that didn't drain, wet towels and a floor that was VERY loud even though I requested a quiet floor. Around 3am the people on the floor finally went to sleep. Nothing was done to quiet them. I wish the hotel would post signs on the floors that quiet time does begin at 11 and people should respect others. If you are there for a party, keep the party off the floors. They might have changed their name and prices to feel up graded, but they will have to change more than that to become an up scale hotel!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay on bottom floors in back if party going on as you will hear the band. Try to find a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

We very much appreciate your feedback HolidayLover0. We place a high value on our repeat guests and always try to accommodate their special requests. While 3pm is our guaranteed check in time, we will always try to accommodate early arrivals. However, if the hotel was sold out the night before it limits our ability to provide early check ins, or for a certain room type. I'm glad to read we still were able to give you a check in time earlier than our 3pm guarantee. As an IHG Rewards Gold Member, you are entitled to many great benefits, and I suggest going to www.ihgrewards.com to review your available benefits. While room upgrades are not available as a Gold Member, they are available as a Platinum Member. That said, we'll strive to accommodate requests for our loyal travelers. We will address the other items you mentioned and thank you again for your past loyalty to our hotel.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Upon our arrival at the hotel we were shocked to find the room we had reserved only accommodated 2 per room in a King bed. Rather than make us seek out another hotel, they graciously accommodated out needs and provided a 2nd room at no additional cost. This is good business and one of the reasons I would not hesitate to stay again. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and centrally located. The restaurant was pricey but good.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IVBandit
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear IV Bandit,

Thank You for submitting a review regarding our hotel. The staff were so glad to hear that we were able to make good solid decisions to accommodate and satisfy you during your recent stay. The Housekeeping staff work diligently each and every day to provide a clean and comfortable stay for all guests and were glad we were able to Make It Happen for you. We would love to see and accommodate you once again when you are in the area

Thanks,

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our week long stay at the Crown Plaza proved to be quite successful. The hotel has been newly remodeled and it's beautiful! The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. The morning meal is not a free buffet as in other hotels...but you can order from a menu or pay $13 for a very full and delicious buffet. They offered eggs-any style, hash brown potatoes with herbs, oatmeal with several toppings, fresh fruit, several dry cereals, bacon-sausage, juices, and pancakes. We chose to eat from the buffet twice and the food was hot and quite good. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to others. It was very quiet at night...no slamming doors in the morning or at night...big plus for me!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gaelC

Dear gaelC,

The staff of the Crowne Plaza Wilmington North is so happy to hear the wonderful comments that you mentioned regarding your week long stay in Delaware. Our staff takes pride in their hotel, and work hard to provide our business and leisure guests with a productive and enjoyable stay. The Food and Beverage team were so glad that you were able to enjoy the breakfast buffet during your stay as they work diligently to provide a well balanced meal to get our guests going each morning. We hope to see you again when you are in the area. Thanks,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here while moving our daughter to the area. Better rate than many others in the area. Close to I-95 ramp and convenient to get into Wilmington easily. Typical well kept and appointed public areas that you would expect from Crowne Plaza. Tucked in between two office buildings so you do have to watch for the entrance access, but ample parking. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Jonathon B,

Thank You for taking the time to write a review of our property, I am glad you chose our hotel to stay at while moving your daughter to the area. I am glad you were able to book at a good economical rate and we were able to be convenient well kept location. I do realize that the entrance to the hotel can be slightly confusing as you have to enter at the Brandywine Corporate Center to drive down to our hotel. I hope when visiting your daughter in the future you choose us again for your hotel accommodations.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our hockey teams stayed here during a tournament at Aston Ice works. It was a quick 10 minutes from the rink and they were nice to have an early morning full breakfast at 5:30 before our early morning games to get the kids going. Really appreciated! One suggestion is that you might want to reserve a dedicated conference room out of the way for "knee hockey" that the kids can sign up for specific times. We did this at a hotel outside of Boston and it worked out really well.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

e_mansmom,

We were so thrilled to have been able to host your hockey group and that you found the hotel to be comfortable and hospitable. I know the hotel staff worked hard to accommodate your group. The Food and Beverage Team are so thrilled that you enjoyed the full breakfast prior to the games. The hotel actually did provide a conferance room for the kids to play "knee hockey" both Saturday and Sunday, I am so sorry that you were unaware of this and the hotel will look at possibly a better way of communicating this information during check in.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was one of my worst hotel experiences ever. After driving all day, we got to the hotel around 9 p.m. and since we were leaving bright and early the next day, wanted to go straight to bed. Well, that was the plan anyway. After checking in, we went to the fifth floor. I noted a sign on the wall that said "Quiet Floor." Great. We were half way down the hallway when we heard a commotion at the elevator. By the time we got to the door of the room, the other guests were having very loud conversations in the hallway. From the room next to ours, another guest came out and yelled down the hallway trying to confirm the room number of someone else -- guess they were all in one big group. We stood in the room for a few minutes to see if things would quiet down -- then came the kids, screaming, laughing, running. Really? On a "Quiet Floor?"

We went back down to the front desk and by then realized that the hotel was hosting some big event in its ballroom. The woman at the front desk first said, "Security doesn't come on until 11." What? All we wanted to do is find a quiet room and go to bed. She then stated that the guests from the big party had rooms throughout the entire hotel.Of course they do. No sense in putting them all together -- that would have been, dare I say, logical? But hotels don't operate like that. They put you in the first room available. I've always thought this practice was horrible, but I guess there's no easy way to put guests with small children in one area, younger party-goers in another area, etc. Nope. It's the roulette wheel of rooms. You just gotta cross those fingers.

In the end, she gave us a room one floor down. We said great and went up to the room, which looked out at the apartments beyond -- police cars with lights flashing and all. We got ready for bed and then we heard it -- stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp from above. If I had to guess, I think we were lucky enough to be put in a room that was under the "kids room" where the children of those at the party were hanging out -- and remember, that would be the fifth floor, the "Quiet Floor." At this point, we weren't going to go back down and get that face again. So, I laid there until 3 a.m. I was angry at the hotel management and the other guests who didn't seem to have an ounce of common decency among them. They were going to have a good time, and everyone else was going to hear it. They didn't care or even have a thought about other people around them. ugh.

The bathroom was filthy. The grout in the tub was beyond disgusting -- and beyond black with mold. The carpet was atrocious and the furniture looked like it should have been thrown out long ago.

It's a shame the Crowne Plaza brand has gone so far downhill, I don't think it will ever recover. Lesson learned. No more Crowne Plazas for this family.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Frances D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Frances D,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The room and bathroom was clean and well kept. I came in a truck so I parked across the street from the hotel. It is right off the highway which is another plus but 193.00 a night with? No thanks. I would have thought that would at least came with a free breakfast. They take clc lodging though for people who have it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Chris H, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Wilmington North, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Avery H,

Our Housekeeping and Maintenance Staff were so happy to hear that your found the room to be clean and well kept. We were also very glad you were able to find parking and our location was a plus. We were disheartened to hear the issue with the rate, though the evening you were here the hotel may have been close to sold out. There are many times the hotel has very economical rates for both our business and leisure guests available and hope if your in the area once again, you will stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Claymont
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Glen Mills/Concordville
Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Wilmington North? Share your experiences!