“Excellent Dinner - Worth the Visit”

The Cottage Cafe Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cottage Café is a family restaurant with a full bar that is open 7 days a week year round. We serve Lunch and Dinner every day with a breakfast buffet on the weekends in season and a breakfast buffet on Sundays year round.
Denville, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Dinner - Worth the Visit”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and daughter had lunch here upon arriving at the beach last week (which was very good - jerked chicken sandwich was huge), so we decided to try it for dinner tonight. It was crowded but we were seated within 15 minutes like they said we would. I had the Meatloaf which was a nice portion and very well prepared - tasty more like fresh meatballs than boring meatloaf. It came with two sides. I ordered mash potatoes (made fresh and very creamy) and side salad. BTW - the side salad is nicely prepared and not your typical few pieces of lettuce. Price:14.99. My wife had the veggie lasagna. It was a huge portion (had to take half home) and also very well made and came with a salad. Price 15.99. My daughter had the a typical kids meal which was good. Price 5.99.

In summary, a great meal, very good service, and the total bill was under $40. Would definitely go back to try something else if I was in town longer.

Washington, DC
“Sorry to be your last table, Amy ...”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I decided to try out The Cottage Café for dinner this year, having enjoyed a great breakfast when we were in town last summer.

Our server, Amy, was congenial when stopping by to take our drink and dinner order. After she dropped off appetizers (black bean soup – too thick for me, great consistency for my husband), we saw her just once, as she put down entrees. My husband’s blackened scallops looked great; he loved them. My liver and onions were so-so, cooked perfectly (medium rare, as requested, which few restaurants get right), but the rest of the meal was barely room temp. The gravy wasn’t even warm.

Amy? She never knew. She didn’t come back until after we completed our meal – she was too busy cleaning off empty tables and then very loudly stapling papers (checks? receipts?) just a couple of tables away. The check was finally dropped. As it was being signed, it turns out Amy paid quite close attention. I was barely three to four steps away from the table when she jetted over to grab the check.

Next time, we’ll go someplace else. It turns out that The Cottage Café is just average, after all.

York, Pennsylvania
“Fresh, delicious and quick”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

After hearing about the Cottage Cafe many times from friends, we decided to make a it a required stop during our recent Ocean City vacation. We went on a Monday evening and were surprised to see a packed parking lot early in the week. Fortunately they have a large lot so we had no problem finding a spot. Given the number of cars there, we were prepared to wait but were surprised that out family of five was seated as soon as we walked in the door.

Quick with our drink orders and mini muffins delivered to our table while we waited for our food. During dinner all three of my teens were silent which is always a good sign (they were all enjoying their dinners). We ordered a mix of seafood, burgers and salad. Everyone left full (even my teenage son) and happy. We will definitely return.

I'm not sure why the previous review claims this restaurant excludes families. Given the number of families with young children I saw in the dining room I think it's safe to say the Cafe caters to families during regular dining hours.

Another bonus that's not mentioned much; If you're vacationing in Ocean City, MD, coming to Delaware for a meal will give you a break from the multitude of taxes (food tax, beverage tax and sales tax) that Ocean City and Maryland levies on diners.

Washington, DC
“Worst Restaurant Ever - Excludes Families”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Arrived for an evening supper with my teenager. Was turned away at the door, as they seemed intent on only serving beer and spirits to excess. If you want to simply get drunk, this place is the new Dewey Beach, without the bands.

3 Thank PeterNMI
Baltimore, Maryland
“Feeding Hungry Families......they know how to do it!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had not eaten at the Cottage Cafe in many years, and what a nice meal we had this evening. We arrived at 5:30 to beat the rush. Well, we did not beat the rush. The place was packed, but our large party was seated in less than 10 minutes, in the nice, quiet, small back dining room. Mitch was our waiter and he was experienced, cheerful and attentive. Loved him. The food was fresh and good. Our recommendations: MD crab soup could be a little thicker and spicier. Replace the chips that come with the cheesy crab dip, with a good, warm bread. By the way, our party rated this crab dip the best they had! Creamy and flavorful, with chunks of good crab meat. We Loved it! We will be back next summer!