“Very Unfriendly-Money Driven-Not like it used to be!”
Review of Bethany Beach

Bethany Beach
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We have a residence in Ocean City, Maryland and drive up to Bethany to visit it's Boardwalk area and restaurants. We have been not feeling the same warmth and friendliness. We just had the WORST experience on our last visit. We decided to drive up on a weeknight and arrived "after hours". Most of the stores were closed by 10pm. The parking lots were basically deserted. We put several quarters in the meter and quickly did our shopping. Whe arrived back at our car to find a meter officer giving us a 30.00 fine. Our meter had just expired. We were the only car in the parking lot!
I could see if it was a weekend and the lot was full with cars driving around. We were walking to the car as he was punching the tag #.
The town government seemed overjoyed to fine our family and not very nioe when I called to complain.
We will stay in Ocean City to do our shopping and dining from now on. That $30.00 ticket was given to the wrong family!

9  Thank rudiesmom

Reviewed August 9, 2009

Shame how some places have to nickel and dime (in this case quarter) people to death. Parking at Bethany Beach is scarce. Meter parking is one quarter for only 10 minutes! Maximum 2 hours. Seems one is constantly walking back and feeding the meters. Meter ticket writers are ready to pounce and write a ticket for 1 second late. Beware.
Bethany Chamber of Commerce or Tourist Bureau should build a multilevel parking garage, but they probably will not. Why should they spend any money when they have a cash cow in parking meters.
What is next? One quarter for 5 minutes?
Also, there are many speed traps in Delaware. Their only purpose is to generate revenue. They have nothing to do with safety. Beware.
In my opinion, Bethany was a nice vacation spot 30 years ago. Now it is flooded with people, but the town and its facilities did not keep up to handle the large crowds.

4  Thank BDover
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Bethany is great for walking and bike riding. The beach is narrow and falls off quickly but is kept very clean. It is guarded by competent guards. Rent umbrellas and chairs from Steen's. Plenty of places to get fries and shaved ice on the boardwalk. Take a ride through the town on the trolley to cool off on a warm evening. Have all you can eat crabs at Mickey's. Drive to Ocean City for miniature golf at Old Pro. Have a casual gourmet dinner at Patsy's and a great hoagie at Surf's Up. Take a side trip to Lewes.

8  Thank Pinback
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My folks started taking us to Bethany Beach in 1960. I have many happy recollections of the place. I visited it this past June after too many years, it has changed but it is preserved under a bell jar compared to it's neighbors, Fenwick Island and Ocean City, Md. The beach is narrower and there are parking meters now but it retains it's charm and the delight of walking on the boardwalk in the evening to get a soft serve ice cream cone, remains one of the simplier pleasures in ones life.

17  Thank Marcmarc
A TripAdvisor Member
Lebanon, PA
Reviewed July 26, 2005

My husband and I have vacationed in the Bethany/Rehoboth area for the last 11 years. Up until about 5 years ago it was a laid back, friendly, small beach town. I am disgusted and saddened at what it has become. It is overgrown, congested, and the mood has become very money-hungry and shallow. The business owners are no longer friendly like they used to be. They're all just out for the almighty dollar.
We travel with our RV. Our tourist dollars don't matter anymore. Unless we can afford to buy a $400k condo or 800k house, they no longer have room for us. Both of the campgrounds we stayed at (3 Seasons and Sandy Cove) have been bought out by big GREEDY developers to build......you guessed it.....CONDOS. So we have decided to vacation somewhere else from now on. I'm not sure where yet, I'd love to stay in Delaware, maybe Fenwick Island. Fenwick still has the atmosphere Bethany USED to have, and because of the marshy area, development is limited. (YEAH!) Plus, there's a big, beautiful RV park there called Treasure Beach. It's a shame we didn't find it sooner. We could have had a much nicer vacation this year if we had.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member