“Great quiet Fall Getaway”

Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bethany Beach
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Great quiet Fall Getaway”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach. We were there the weekend after Thanksgiving and were not sure how crowded and noisy it might be. But the hotel was very quiet, and very nice. I thought it was very clean, and the carpet in the hallways seemed new, even smelled new!

We enjoyed the free breakfast, though we were disappointed that the "world-famous" cinnamon rolls did not come in that weekend. I had really been looking forward to that. The breakfast area was also very crowded at 9 a.m. on Saturday - we would hate to see it in the summer!

Our room was very nice and spacious. We enjoyed the little kitchenetter, complete with small counter and fridge, and microwave, and sink. Good place to keep cold drinks and leftovers. I was only disappointed that there was not a small couch or stuffed chair in the room - I'm 7 months pregnant, and the chairs at the table weren't comfortable enough for me - can't even get comfortable with 5 pillows in bed!

We also loved the free wireless service - very useful for looking up restaurant reviews while traveling. That is one caution - in the off-season, it is hard to find a decent place to eat, unless you are willing to pay a lot. The Cottage Cafe across the street seemed nice and cozy, and was pretty crowded on Friday night. And we loved having Happy Harry's in the same parking lot - stopped in there twice for snacks, drinks, and makeup!

One other positive to this area is how close it is to Rehoboth and OC, MD. We visited both, and enjoyed the outlets and movies in Rehoboth. Twenty minutes travel time!

Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — slight view of the ocean, clean, and big
  • Disliked — missed the cinnamon rolls!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StarrMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed August 23, 2007

My family and I stayed for four nights in August 2007. It seems to be the only hotel in the area with a pool. The beach isn't too far away (walking distance). There was quite bit of sand from the beach in the pool. The hotel could enforce showering before entering the pool to help with this problem. The hotel rooms were clean but the hallways were dirty. The carpet in the hallways had quite a bit of sand and there was a musty odor. The breakfast that is included in the rate is OK at best. The quality of the food is the problem. It's best to get to the breakfast area early because at 9am the place is jam packed.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Spearfish, South Dakota
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Finding a place to stay in this area without staying a week is limited. The Holiday Inn Express was everything we wanted. Clean. Close to the beach. Safe. The entire town is family friendly. And the price was reasonable given the short distance to the beach.

The staff was very helpful. They were able to recommend great places to eat within walking distance or a short drive. Best places to buy beach towels, pick up picnic food, you name it, they knew the area well.

I would not stay in Ocean City when you have Bethany Beach and the Holiday Inn Express as an alternative.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PurpleHayes
Whitehall, PA
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The Holiday Inn is a nice place to stay. It is really only one block from the beach, but the Sea Colony is blocking access. I enjoyed my stay- nice beds, clean rooms, and friendly staff. Our room had a small fridge and microwave. It also had a sink outside of the bathroom which was nice. It has a nice pool area. I especially enjoyed the free breakfast. If you like to walk you can walk to most places in Bethany from this hotel. Enjoy your stay.

• Liked — Free Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whitehall123
Charlotte
Reviewed July 2, 2007

This hotel was fantastic. For the price, it was perfect. We checked in with no problem, our room was ready at 3:15 when we arrived. It was on the ocean side that looked out onto the Sea Colony property. We couldn't see the ocean, but that was fine. My mom and I traveled together for this trip and I was a bit worried about the room being cramped. My worries were put to rest once we got in the room. It wasn't huge, but I've stayed in tiny rooms where people are practically on top of each other. Not so here. There were two queen beds, and the beds were INCREDIBLE! So plush and after a day at the beach, it was like slipping into heaven. There was only one occasion where our room wasn't cleaned by the time we returned. And the staff were incredibly helpful and got it cleaned up immediately. I believe it was a high check-in/check-out day. But the hospitality was great. There were two days they forgot to put coffee in our room, but I just went to the front and asked for it. No problem! The breakfast was perfect for us. Light yogurt, english muffins, bagels, fruit, danish and muffins. Perfect for light breakfast eaters. If you are a heavy breakfast eater, it won't be enough. If you like eggs, bacon, sausage, etc., you'll probably have to go out to eat. The hotel has a pool - not a huge pool, but it was enough to take a dip once we got back from the beach. Also, they had like a surround sound music system out there playing music. People would sit out by that pool in the evenings with their friends and family. I saw someone cleaning the pool daily. It was a family oriented hotel. I saw many families and I believe because of the location near Sea Colony there were more upper class folks at the hotel. Its not cheap, but its not overly priced either. I felt we got what we paid for. We were gone most everyday either shopping or being on the beach. There was a central computer with a printer down in the lobby. That was nice and it had internet access. I thought it was great and I will definitely go back!

Amy S., Charlotte, NC

• Liked — The cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — The smell of the shampoo & conditioner
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Fenwick Island
Meris Gardens Bed & Breakfast
Meris Gardens Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Bethany Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bethany Beach? Share your experiences!