“Dining on the canal”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great outside dining during the summer season. Live entertainment is generally good. Dancing well attended. Fun place.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I visited here again the other night for dinner. When we arrived there were just a few tables occupied on the dining patio and a few patrons at the bar. However, the inside restaurant was empty. So we had the whole place to ourselves! We were seated at a small table at a window that overlooked the dining patio & marina. We were given menus and our waitress too our drink order.

This eventing, we had a coupon that got us dinner for 2 for $38. It included 2 tapas, 2 HALF entrees and a brownie for two dessert. I ordered the salsa sampler for my tapa & my husband ordered the calamari for his tapa. I decided to get the half pork taco for my entree and he selected the half scallops entree. In addition I ordered a chicken sandwich since I knew the portion sizes here were small (from previous dining experiences). I also opted to get sweet potato fries with my sandwich instead of regular fries. Plus we had the brownie for 2 that was included in the coupon special.

Within a few minutes our tapas were out to us. I think their salsa on their samper is OK. It is definately FRESH house made salsa. I like the two regular salsas, but the tomatillo is not my style. Their house made tortilla chips are AMAZING & the main reason I ordered the salsa sampler in the 1st place. I could eat the whole bowl of chips PLAIN! I would like them even more with some shredded pork taco meat & some shredded cheese! That would be an amazing tapa IF it were on the menu! My husband loved the calamari. He said it is the best calamari he has ever had anywhere on the coast--from NY to MD! He also loved the dipping sauce that accompanied the calamari.

Within 10 minutes or so, our entrees were out to us as well. SUPER fast service tonight!! This was a plus compared to previous visits. The entrees were wonderful as usual. I love the pork tacos--just wish there was more of it in a portion. My husband loves their jumbo scallops. Says they are delicious. The scallops dish changes each time we visit to have a different side dish. This time it was served with a new risotto. He said it was good, but had something green in it that gave it an unusual taste. We also love their homemade sweet potato fries--yum! The chicken sandwich is good too. I have always enjoyed it. It is probably their best dollar-value on the menu. So, IF you are looking to get away with a full stomach on the cheap---opt for the chicken. For $8 you get the chicken breast sandwich and fries--even at dinnertime. Plus IF you want to avoid spicy, you can order it plain and it is a safe bet.

After dinner, our chipotle brownie for two was delivered to the table. It had 4 large triangular shaped brownies on the platter in addition to a cup of vanilla ice cream. The brownie was delicious. It was super soft, warm and oh so chocolately. I am not a huge brownie fan normally, but this brownie is the exception. We both enjoyed it. The serving size was so generous that we took half of it home & had it the next night for dessert. This is not an item that I would have normally ordered, but the coupon included it--AND we were glad it did. We were glad we got to try it & will definately order it again now that we have tried it!!

Overall we had another great dining experience at Aqua Sol the other night. The service speed was much faster than usual..a plus! The food was all exceptional. Love that it is all house made--right down to the tortilla chip! I would order it all again. The waitstaff was SUPER friendly...probably the best we have had yet. Thank you, Corrine. We have dined both inside & out. Inside dining was nice on this cool fall night. Only downside was that the music was a little loud. In the summer we like the patio, but are not fond of the fly problems we have encountered. I will return again without hesitation...with or without coupon Love this hidden gem.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We patronized Aqua Sol very frequently over the last year, as they used to be good, but no more. The food used to be good and were just "ok" in service. We gave them a few chances to turn it around. The last several times we had cold lousy food, went we were ignored by our waitstaff (after asking several times, I had to go my own ketchup and never got drink refills, for example!) plain treated coldly by the waitstaff, over-charged for drinks on what was supposed to be drink specials.... And served cold crusty over-priced Conch fritters--which used to be good---after a long wait (over 30minutes without food!) at our table. Apparently the new owner doesn't care much about the poor service or food. I wrote to them and he never bothered to try to make things right. So they lost customers for life. Hopefully you won't make the same mistake we did in continuing to give them a chance. Overall:

-Nice location by the water but out of the way,
-Terrible food
-Even worse service
-Poor value for the quality of food.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

2  Thank CeaCea B
Reviewed September 18, 2012

While we really enjoyed the food, it took a very long time to reach us. They had a half-price wine special, but the wines were not very appealing. We tried two -- one was good, the other we couldn't finish. We ate outside on a nice patio ... Which was fine until the little no-see-ums started attacking our feet and legs. The server finally brought some citronella candles which helped. Since these bugs are apparently a known factor in this location, I would suggest this restaurant invest in some bug-zappers or more citronella candles! If we eat there again, we will sit inside.

1  Thank Ral W
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great local place with a view. Great food that is well prepared with a lot of variety. The service is great and they have live music on the weekends.