“Good Food, but SMALL portions $$$”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Aqua Sol Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Aqua Sol Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Bar, American, Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,745 helpful votes
“Good Food, but SMALL portions $$$”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I visited this restaurant again recently. We had been previously and had enjoyed our meals then. It was a nice day outside, so we decided to go again for dinner in order to take advantage of the outside dining patio.

Once there, we were given our choice of outside dining tables. We found a nice shady spot under an umbrella and looked over the menu. It was a Wednesday evening, so they had a wine special that night. After looking over the menu, we decided to try their salsa sampler appetizer. For our entrees, we ordered the half pork tacos, half ribs and full scallops entrees. I had debated on ordering the full portion of pork tacos OR getting the chicken sandwich in addition to my half pork taco order. We had been here before & knew that most portion sizes were REALLY small. However,our waitress said that the half portion of the tacos was large & that it had 3 tortilla shells on it. So that sounded like a decent sized portion. I settled on just a half portion of the tacos per her suggestion, but also ordered a side of sweet potato fries.

Within about 15 minutes our salsa appetizer sampler was out to us. The tortilla chips tasted homemade and were delicious. The salsa sampler had a regular, verde and chipolte version on it. I preferred the regular out of the three. The salsa was chunky fresh diced tomatoes, except for the verde which appeared to be a puree. Overall, I found the salsas to be OK. I probably wouldn't order it again due to the cost & the difficulty of getting the salsa scooped up with the chips provided. However, it is a really good chip. I would like to see it offered as a nachos & cheese appetizer--or perhaps a nachos, cheese & pork taco meat appetizer!!

Within about another 20 minutes or so, our entrees arrived. The half pork tacos entree was a joke. There were only TWO shells on the plate--NOT 3 as promised by our waitress. On top of that...ONE shell was equivalent to 1/4 of a regular sized tortilla shell. So in reality, I got 1/2 of a tortilla shell cut into two pieces with about 1/3 of a cup of shredded pork. To be honest, the pork taco was DELICIOUS, but the portion size was just way too small! I knew I should have ordered more, but our waitress insisited that getting a chicken sandwich in addition, would have been too much. She was wrong. With service being so slow, I didn't feel like orderinng and waiting for more food to arrive. I left hungry. My husband enjoyed his full scallops entree. We knew they were skimpy on this entree from our previous visit & he knew that it would only have 4 scallops on it for the price paid. They seem to have changed the dish (since our last visit) to be served over a bed of pasta instead of with a few yuca gnocci. This made for a more substantial entree & he still enjoyed it. He also liked his half ribs entree. I tried them & thought they were just OK. They tasted a little weird to me. He, however, enjoyed the uniqueness of the dark rum & guava BBQ sauce. The thick cut sweet potato fries were delicious as always & tasted homemade.

After dinner our waitress asked IF we wanted dessert. We looked over the menu but decided to pass. I considered their Tres Leche Cake, but decided against it due to the slow service. I did not feel like waiting 20 minutes or so to get a slice of cake. It had taken close to 10 minutes to just get the dessert menu!

Overall, our dining experience was good. The food was VERY good. The option of the half or full entree is a nice feature that allows you to customize your meal. However, the serving sizes were SMALL. The prices were HIGH based on the quantity of food...however, the quality makes it worthwhile. The service was friendly, but SLOW. The outdoor dining patio is nice, as is the view of the C & D Canal. However, there is an annoying fly problem that accompanies this outdoor dining experience. We had to constantly swat flies away from our food. Gross!

All in All, the pluses outweight the minuses at this restaurant. We will continue to visit when looking for a nice relaxed sit down meal without feeling rushed out the door, but next time I will order MORE food!!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank daisyferret1

PA
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I never knew this waterview restaurant existed. My husband and I went here on a whim after I had Googled waterfront restaurants in the area. We set the GPS and it took us within Lum's Pond State Park to a marina. We parked down below because we didn't realize the restaurant was up the hill. It has a parking lot up there, but it was a beautiful afternoon so it was a nice walk up the hill and reminded me of a campground.
The restaurant has a large patio with tables with umbrellas and a few tables under a portion of roof. It overlooks a marina and canal. There was a mix of contemporary and cuban/caribbean music playing at a good volume, not blaring on this beautiful afternoon.
We were seated promptly by a friendly hostess that quickly cleared a table that was closest to the water and had a bit of shade under the umbrella.
The place has a Cuban feel and Cuban dishes on the menu. However, there are also burgers, chicken sandwiches and wings, etc for those that want the usual fare. My husband didn't fully read the menu and realized too late that the crab fries actually have crab on them, not like C and P's with just some Old Bay sprinkled on them. People were getting them and they smelled so good! Fries with Monterray Jack cheese, Old Bay and actual crab meat. Next time! Everything was prepared well, presented beautifully, and tasted very fresh and unique in this age of chain restaurants. I like the number one restaurant on this site for this town, but it's a chain that is the same in every state of the union.
There are full and half portions on the menu. I LOVE this because I hate spending $15 on an entree that is big enough for 3 people only to stuff myself or bring it home for later, only to forget it in the back seat of my car overnight or in the fridge, to be thrown out a week later.
We had the chicken skewers, 5 tasty skewers and a fresh pineapple something salsa.
My husband had a vegetable panini, asparagus, mushrooms, roasted peppers on a crusty panini toasted cuban roll with homemade sweet potato fries (but he was given the option of regular). I had the half portion slow roasted pork tacos. There were 2 soft, crepe like taco "shells" that seemed to be homemade. A mound of cuban rice with a spoonful of tender pulled pork (tasty, not with bbq on it) and a dollop of sour cream. This was more that enough for me and at $7, much fresher, prettier and healthier than a super value meal for about the same price! I should also mention that the dishes, glasses and utensils were all gleaming clean. I hate sitting down to eat only to find a dirty fork or smudged plate. These all white dishes shined.
My husband had 2 beers and I had a glass of red sangria and the total bill was $37. And I felt as if I had dined on this beautiful afternoon instead of just stuffing my face in some dark, themed chain restaurant with blaring music. The manager came over near the end of our meal to see if all was well. We were done about 7pm and before we left, they had come around to light all the candles on the tables, as well as the tiki torches around the patio.
I would definitely go back for the outdoor patio. They have music almost every night and an acoustic duo was setting up to play from 8-12 as we were leaving. I went inside to use the restroom and wasn't wowed with the interior, so I think I may put this on my summer rotation.
As far as the local waterfront outdoor places go, I like the another's tiki bar for drinks and bar food and their great pizza, but it gets super crowded and unpleasant. It has a better view though. One in Northeast has great views but is more of a biker bar. I wish Aqua Sol was in the Northeast location. AquaSol has much better food and atmosphere for what I'm looking for, but the views are somewhat limited. My one big recommendation would be to replace the thick wooden rail deck with the newer clear ones so we can actually see the water and marina without having to stand. And although the wood goes with the park like setting, clear decking would go well with the contemporary Cuban flare of the restaurant. But, we will be back!

• Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“a lovely early evening on the deck...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

compared with what was in this space previously, Aqua Sol is wonderful. The food was okay, not big portions but prepared well. We had a very untypical paella dish which was tasteful but not like anything I have ever had before; it was sort of California Spanish fusion? Not sure. The cheese plate was nice as an appetizer. I had a specialty of theirs, the mac and cheese. Just pasta with a cheese sauce, nothing else. If I were featuring this, I would have baked the dish with some sort of gratin, etc. Service was a bit too friendly... and why is it that wait staff feel totally OK with interrupting conversations to ask if you want another drink? I hate that and find it hard to find a restaurant where this does not happen. The flavored mojito's were good and the bar knows what it is doing. We were very pleased to be seated outside on the huge deck. Just as we ordered, the live music started. A lovely evening for all.

• Visited May 2012
“What a great surprise.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I found this restaurant because I was staying at the local marina. I expected to get mediocre food and I was totally surprised. The food was excellent. I had the steamed clams, the Cuban sandwich and the bread pudding.
One dish at the table was not up to our expectations. When we mentioned it the dish was totally corrected and the owner came by our table to express his embarrassment.
We were entertained by great music in a beautiful setting.
Anyone in this area who stops here won't be disappointed.

Wilmington, Delaware
“Not too happy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This place is good just to take pictures and have a romantic night... food is good on taste and th:e service is good... food is a small portion for the price and you still hungry after your done eating...

• Visited May 2012