“One of the Worst Places For Food(?)”
Review of Pho Nhu Vu

Pho Nhu Vu
Ranked #11 of 85 Restaurants in Bear
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Eating at Pho Nhu Vu shows you that Delawareans will eat any kind of crap that you put in front of them, think it is good and pay for it too. Having been born and raised in NYC, where i also trained and worked as a chef, I have had numerous experiences with the typical Delaware restaurant. (Cr)Applebee's and Famous Dave's are a gustatory delight when compared to Pho Nhu Vu. Even the more typical Chinese buffet would have been a pleasure and the food in them bears little resemblance to true Chinese food. My husband, while having been raised in Scotland, can also recognise garbage when it is served to him. We chose our one and only visit as take away.

Having just eaten earlier in the week at Philadelphia's Vietnam Restaurant, we were in the mood for more Vietnamese food. Enter Pho Nhu Vu. It was close by and had some radically mixed reviews. Not for no reason, as we found out the hard way.

We had beef stuffed grape leaves at $5.95 for five of them: we were given 4. This dish is usually stuffed with lamb. They are not worth even $2.00. They were accompanied by an insipid sauce. We both had the brisket and steak pho, for $7.95 each. They give you the skimpy thin sliced meat raw: you get to mix it into the pitifully small amount of noodles cilantro and onions. A separate bag contains the tiny wedges of lime and what appeared to be very old bean sprouts and what seemed to be some tired mint. The broth has very little taste to speak about: perhaps they waved a star anise above it for flavour. the broth was hot enough to "cook" the meat though.

To summarise: drive into Philadelphia and get real Vietnamese food. Don't waste your hard earned money and upset your stomach by eating at Pho Nhu Vu. You don't have to be a lemming Delarwarean.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went to Nhu Vu at their new location in Middletown, DE. Greeted by friendly staff and seated fast. They have a very large selection of Pho so I ordered Steak Pho noodle soup with tendons which I have never tried before. The hot Pho broth was a wonderful complex flavor with plentiful noodles, topped with scallions, onions, beef and tendons. The garnishes for the Pho (basil, saw grass, bean sprouts, peppers and lime) were all fresh and were fun to added to the Pho. For only $1.00 more I ventured for the large bowl but should have stayed with the regular size which is still very generous. Middletown is about an hour away from Lewes, DE but well worth the drive for their amazing Pho. Looking forward to returning soon!

2  Thank Beachbumretired
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I live in Maryland and every so often I take a trip up Route 40 through Delaware and I ALWAYS make time to stop and eat lunch at Pho Nhu Vu. This place is so good. I moved to the area from NYC and have enjoyed some very authentic Vietnamese restaurants up there, but was so happily surprised to have a Pho place in the vicinity.

I can only comment on what I've ordered which is consistently the Vietnamese spring rolls and Pho Tai (steak Pho). Love the spring rolls, packed with glass noodles and mushrooms and carrots and maybe even some pork...these do not come with lettuce leaves and mint leaves, like I've had at other restaurants, but they are still good, and served with a wonderful Nuoc Cham (rice-vinegar-and-chili-pepper) dipping sauce.

I usually get Pho Tai, which is the steak Pho. The broth is killer. I could drink that all day long. I like the ratio of noodles and meat, so I don't alter it, I just order it and dump in the entire plate of sprouts/basil/jalapenos. Squeeze the limes in and a couple shots of the hot sauce on the table, and it's pretty perfect Pho.

I wasn't completely enthused with their meatballs, but they seemed a bit dense to me. It was mostly the consistency. Otherwise, all is good. I will definitely be back to try other kinds of their Pho.

The service is always great, not overbearing and not absent. A gem of a place with very reasonable prices hidden in a row of stores in Bear!

3  Thank 1987porsche944
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Unpretentious little place that serves some killer Pho. Waitstaff is very nice and willing to explain the dishes. I usually get take-out and they are fairly quick. I usually am offered a cup of tea while I wait.

3  Thank sdr19899
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We just recently got into the "Pho" kick, and have actually driven all the way to Philadelphia several times just to get Pho. It is a pain to drive there sometimes, so we were pretty happy to learn of a Pho restaurant that had opened in Delaware.

I am happy to say that this Pho tastes just as good as the Pho we have gotten in our favorite Pho restaurant in Philly. If you don't know what Pho is, basically it is "like" a huge lunch soup or stew, loaded with all sorts of meats of your choice and fresh vegetables and herbs and spices that you add to your taste. The bowl is so big, and so loaded with soup and meats, that you will end up taking half of it home. We are pretty good eaters, and we can't even finish half of the bowl of Pho.

For $7.95, you get a huge bowl of Pho, and you can choose from the following: Steak Pho, Steak & Brisket Pho, Steak & Meatball Pho, Meatball Pho, Brisket Pho, Brisket & Meatball Pho, Steak & Flank Pho, Steak & Tripe Pho, Steak, Flank, & Fatty Flank Pho, Tendon, Flank, & Steak Pho, Brisket & Flank Pho, Tendon & Steak Pho, Steak, Flank, Tendon, Tripe, & Fatty Flank Pho, Steak, Flank, Tendon, & Tripe Pho, Brisket, Flank, Tendon, Tripe, & Fatty Flank Pho, Brisket, Flank, Tendon, Fatty, & Crunchy Flank Pho.

We have eaten here three times now, and twice we have both gotten the brisket, flank, tendon, fatty and crunch flank Pho, and once we tried the Steak, Flank, Tendon and Tripe Pho. Both were excellent, loaded with tender meats, or crunchy as the case may be, and if you are a fan of tripe, or watch enough bizarre food shows on the travel or cooking channels, be brave enough to come here and give it a try, because it just goes so well in Pho.

We tried a couple of the appetizers, 6 chicken wings for $4.95, and the grilled beef wrapped with grape leaves. My husband thought the chicken wings were ok, I thought they were just so-so, but I truly did not like the grilled beef with grape leaves at all. The flavors of the grape leaves just did not go with the grilled beef. It left an odd taste. However, my husband is sitting here reminding me that he liked the taste of the grape leaves.

My husband recommends their iced coffee, which he says is made with sweetened condensed milk, and served in a personal coffee maker. He says the coffee is excellent.

The wait staff is very friendly and very helpful in explaining anything on the menu that you may not be familiar with, and is right there with more water, tea, a friendly smile.

Now, having just written this review, it has given us a powerful taste for Pho, so we are going to (seriously) jump in our car and drive up to Bear and get some Pho for lunch.

7  Thank MiouMiou

Been to Pho Nhu Vu? Share your experiences!