“a bit of a disappointment.”
Review of Grotto Pizza - CLOSED

Grotto Pizza
Cuisines: Pizza
Valley Forge PA
“a bit of a disappointment.”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

For a long time, one of my employees has raved about Grotto Pizza. That's all he talked about for a couple of years. Finally, this past weekend, we had the opportunity and tried it. The pizza is so-so. I've had much better at real Italian pizzerias. Also, we and another couple thought it was way too noisy with a dozen or more TV's blaring. We didn't know this was a sports bar. Had we known, we would have gotten take-out. But at least we can say we tried it. We even brought another large pizza home for later. But it was a bit of a disappointment. I don't know what all the hype is about.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Rusty610

Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,783 helpful votes
“Good Pizza & Service , Clean Restaurant, Decent Prices”
Reviewed February 9, 2009

Okay, I grew up in Rehoboth Beach where Grottos is famous. I moved to the Bear area a few years back & have been waiting for a Grotto's Pizza close to home. I was really craving that childhood pizza the other night & my husband decided to treat me to a Grotto's Pizza.

We went around 630pm on 1-29-09. We were seated immediately..no waiting. This location is pretty small inside, with maybe 20 tables or so (very quaint). However, they do have an outdoor patio for the summertime. They do serve what appears to be the full Grotto's menu, including the Grotto Gelato at this location. We decided on a large cheese pizza and a couple of cokes. While we waited, we took notice of how clean the restaurant was & the waitstaff was constantly wiping down the tables and sweeping up the floors. It was nice and bright inside the restaurant too. I feel this is one of the nicest and cleanest of the Grotto's restaurants---also one of the NEWEST.

Within 15 minutes or so, our pizza had arrived. It was really yummy and hot. Grotto's pizza has the classic ring design (looks like rings of cheese and sauce on the top--like a bullseye) and a unique gourmet taste. The sauce is kind of sweet, not spicy (not loaded with garlic or oregano). They do have oregano and a few select pizza spices on the table top if you want to spice it up. The crust is thin, but not crunchy or overly crispy. The pizza was not loaded with cheese or overly greasy. It was perfect. I find it hard to describe pizza, but this is one of my favorites!

In addition to pizza, Grottos offers salads, pastas, strombolis, cheesesteaks, burgers, fries and subs. The also have some appetizers, desserts and gelato. So, if you arent in the mood for a pizza, they do have a small variety of items to choose from.

Our service here was fast and friendly & we will definately return. The prices were reasonable and the food excellent. The atmosphere is casual, clean and comfortable. There are even a few large screen TVs in the dining area for your viewing pleasure (if you want to see the News or a Game).

**Note Grottos does occasionally run specials...so watch for them. One of their specials is LOTSA PIZZA (all you can eat pizza buffet)**

TIP:
**Grotto's has started offering Grotto's to Go as frozen pizzas that you can bake at home!!**