“Disappointed”
Review of The White Horse

Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Bearsted
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings, The White Horse - Maidstone serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

It's been a while since our last visit to this great place. Service is good and attentive as always however food over cooked, wrong type of potatoes used for twice cooked chips!

Simon H, Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2014

Dear Harund,

Thank you for your review. We have taken you comments to the kitchen.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My husband booked us a table here for my birthday in August.
It was a Monday evening, the restaurant/ bar was not busy but the atmosphere was nice,
The staff were all friendly.
On sitting at our table the waitress asked if we would like bread & olives while we decide on our menu choices (this is £5 which they do not tell you) it took a while to come out but no bother. Wines are good.
The menu was not extensive but a good selection, we had portobello mushrooms & scallops to start which were very tasty. For main we chose lamb rump and sirloin steak. Both were cooked to perfection, looked and tasted amazing.
Dessert we decided on a sharing platter that come on a slate dish with creme brûlée, gypsy tart, cookie and ice cream and a dark chocolate moose.
It was all so delicious and we were stuffed, the restaurant looks and feels nice, staff are friendly, it's a little expensive but not overly so.

Dear Harrylis,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We take pride in our food and service and strive to ensure each any every guest enjoys their experience with us.

I have taken all your comments back to the team and they are delighted you had such a lovely time.

The chef has also taken you comments to his team and they are all trying to claim they cooked the perfect Steak and Lamb!

Once again, thank you for taking the time out to write this review and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We went to the White Horse with another couple and were very, very disappointed with the over priced food. The portions were tiny, the food was tasteless and did not represent what it stated in the menu.
My partner and I ordered the Linguine with King Prawns, Crab & Chorizo... well we had a couple of Prawns each, one small circle of Chorizo & absolutely no Crab. I requested extra sauce and got a tiny bowl of pasta with a watery, tasteless liquid over it. Our friends had the sea bass, again, forget it, total waste of money.
We have seen bigger meals dished up to our Grandchildren on "Kid's Menus".
The wine was also very, very expensive and not the best I have tasted by far.
So my advice is do not bother to go to the White Horse unless you are on a strict diet and with money to waste.

Dear Ann090,

Thank you for your review.

We have taken all your comments on board. Portions are always very hard to judge. Many of our guest’s leave feeling very satisfied and often tell us they can't make pudding as they are too full.

I am sorry to hear the dishes were not to your liking.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is the 2nd time that I have been to this venue as I believe everyone deserves a second chance. Unfortunately, the second time did not redeem them.
The first tie was extremely busy, but I had booked a table for a family party for my Dad's 70th birthday and asked for a suitable table. Hazing walked past a table of rowdy teenagers on a ground floor table with comfy seats, we were shown to our table on the 3rs floor. We were seated on hard benches and had to wait a long time for food. I complained at the time and the lady who dealt with me was extremely apologetic and they did offer for meals to be removed from the bill in compensation. She assured me that on my next visit, service would be of a higher quality.
I took my friend here for lunch yesterday, hoping for better treatment. It was extremely quiet and there were 2 other people already eating outside. I asked the barman what a 'Chicken Scallopini' was on the menu and he had no idea what it was and asked what appeared to be an off duty chef who was having a drink at the end of the bar. Needless to say, he didn't sell it to me, so I ordered the Crab & Prawn Linguini and a salted beef sandwich. We waited for some time and only the pasta was brought out, but no sandwich. After I went in to enquire where it was, he told me that he had only ordered the pasta. We had to wait for an unacceptable amount of time again considering it was so quiet. By this time, the sun had gone in and it had started raining. Nobody came to our aid to move us inside and when the food arrived, we had to wait again, for cutlery to arrive.
These are basic things and after complaining to Simon, the manager, he agreed that this was unacceptable. Only my pasta was taken off the bill, when I really think they should have offered more, due to all the school boy errors. I will not be returning here for a meal when there are some many other attentive restaurants nearby
Oh and the chef was seen smoking outside, which is never a good look.

2  Thank AnnieOates

It is disappointing to hear you feel this way.

We have read and acknowledged your comments, and as with all our reviews we will continue to move forward.

The White Horse.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife Jackie and I , on the recommendation of some good friends visited The White Horse this Sunday , we travel and eat out a lot , so always looking for good food and we were very pleased with the food , service and ambience .
Simon was attentive to all our needs from our arrival till we left.
During our visit we realised that The White Horse has a sister restaurant in Billericay which we have also visited , must say that the Kent version is light years ahead of the Essex one :-) , well I am a Kent boy !!!
We will certainly be heading back to Bearsted for more !!!
J and J

Dear John H H,

Thank you for your review. It is always great to hear that guests have enjoyed their visit with us.

We do all we can to ensure we give the best service and deliver the greatest food. I am so happy you experienced both of these on the day.

I do hope to see you again in the near future.