“Very good, as always”

The White Horse
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Bearsted
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings, The White Horse - Maidstone serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very good, as always”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to the White Horse on 25 Jan, from previos experiences with family here i was looking forward to it .... unitl i read some of the more recent reviews on here.

Very relieved to say i had no problems with the service and the food was excellent (apart from a few too many chillies in my linguine!). We didn't feel rushed whilst we were eating and there was always someone available when we needed them. Would go back again any day.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went there Friday 18th for my sister in laws birthday. Table of 14 booked for 7pm, 4 were children. Were were asked over and again if we wanted drinks, by 10 to 9 I was getting very frustrated as we still did not have our dinner. We asked to see the manager and he was very unhelpful and offered no explanation other than it took a long time to plate up such a large table. When it finally arrived at half past 9 if I was not so hungry I would have sent it back. Not value for money at all. They cannot cope with large parties so should not accept the booking. Will not go there willingly again

UK
“So Disappointing”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked a table for 2 on Saturday evening and was informed they were fully booked until 9.15pm, this was not a problem but when we moved into the restaurant it was almost empty downstairs.
After ordering we seemed to wait an awfully long time but as we were chatting this was not a problem.
I asked for my tuna to be rare, when it came it was so overcooked it was ridiculous the waitress was embarrassed and took it away. I said I just want it to have touched the pan on both sides the rarer the better.
After about 5 minutes she bought back a stone cold medium piece of tuna, it had obviously been cooked earlier and then kept in the fridge. My companion had almost finished his meal and so I did not send it back but did cmplain the following day and have heard nothing.
This gastro pub is lacking in good food and I would reccomend The Oak on The Green or The windmill, the service and food at both establishments is far superior and they listen. A shame because its decorated beautifully but I will be telling all my friends and business collegues to dine elsewhere.

Dartford
“Will Return”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stumbled across this place while driving around on a weekday off.
It's a chain pub and we've been in other pubs in the chain before so we knew more or less what to expect of the food.
Quite a few diners for a Monday lunch time and I can imagine that in the evening the pub would have a good atmosphere with a few drinkers in attendance.
A table outside overlooking the green would be nice during the warmer weather.
All in all a good experience and one that I hope to repeat during the summer.

• Visited December 2012
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“One of our favourite places.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have visited The White Horse a couple of times each year for the past few years, driving 30 miles each way to do so. The party has ranged from two to ten people on various days of the week. We have never once had disappointing food and think it is comparable price wise with other restaurants for what you get. The service can be slow, particularly at the bar, but it is a busy place, particularly on Sundays. When we had a problem with a pre-ordered starter the staff were very apologetic. Maybe it depends how you complain! The atmosphere, the setting and the quality of food make it well worth a visit.