“No room at the inn.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bearsted
Kent
“No room at the inn.”
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I'd like to write a full review of the hotel but as we only got to see the reception area this would be hard.
We were attending a family wedding in Maidstone and had booked a superior room online back in early October thinking we'd make a weekend of it. I had phoned in November to confirm the booking and received an email from the hotel 5 days before arrival to "welcome you to the Tudor Park" and stating that "we are preparing for your stay" (ha ha ,as it turned out.)
After the wedding ceremony we went to the hotel to check in and freshen up before going back for the evening reception. On arrival parking was a considerable problem, not because the car park was particularly full but because the majority of the empty spaces were coned off for no apparent reason. Eventually we parked and made our way to reception. There we were told (as if the receptionist was reading from a script and with no real sense of apology) that there was a problem with the room because of a "leaking sink". Not a major problem, we'll have a standard room. Sorry but the hotel is full and no other rooms are available. Right - okay, we'll have the room with the leaking sink then and make the best of it.
The receptionist panicked at this point and then I suddenly realised that this probably wasn't the problem and they had obviously double booked the room.
They then told us that they had made us a reservation at another hotel, however this turned out to be a Travel lodge on the motorway. As we'd already pre booked taxis to take us back and forth to the wedding this was going to be considerably awkward and besides, we 'd booked a "luxury hotel experience" (according to the website) NOT a Travel lodge.
When I explained this to the receptionist she appeared flummoxed and went back to the script and merely repeated the offer of another hotel and that we could use their phone to change the taxi arrangements.
At this point, rather than making a scene when it was clear that we were not going to get a room we decided to leave, go back to the wedding and put it down to experience. We did not stay in the Travel Lodge and we will NOT be booking a Marriott hotel again ( neither will the dozens of other guests we spoke to at the wedding that evening.)

• Liked — Don't know, didn't get to see it!
  • Disliked — Casual attitude of the staff to overbooking rooms and letting people down
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PoppyJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
Belper, Derbyshire
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Myself and my wife stayed here for 2 nights over the Bank Holiday weekend, 25 - 27 August. We were planning to visit the area around the Battle Of Hastings site and pull in a shopping trip to Bluewater on the way home.

The hotel is very nice, as are the staff. We were made to feel welcome and a couple of requests for information were met with helpful and pleasant replies.

Upon check-in, we were advised that there were a couple of wedding parties taking place on both of the nights of our stay but that our room was on the opposite side of the hotel so we shouldn't hear any noise.

The room was the standard Marriott type - clean and tidy with a nice, big, comfortable King bed. The weather was pretty hot during our stay but the air conditioning unit kept the room nice and cool. We were never disturbed by any noise.

We had a couple of drinks in the Piano Bar and it didn't seem that expensive (considering what hotel bars usually charge) and had a nice atmosphere.

We used the pool both mornings along with the sauna and steam room. It was never that busy so we were able to relax at our leisure. The changing room areas are rather tired-looking (as commented by a previous reviewer) but the entire hotel is being fully refurbished between 1 October 2007 and 31 March 2008.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, especially at the bargain price of £90 for the 2 nights. It served as a perfect base for our weekend and we will definitely stay there again when in that area.

• Liked — The location and the staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlennTheBaker
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We stayed for three days at this hotel in a superior room. The room was not that large considering we paid for the upgrade. The staff were exceptional and for this reason I would recommend this hotel. We had a few problems with the tv, marks on the duvet and not being able to get towelling robes to go to the spa. These problems were quickly resolved though it took 24 hours and asking again to get the bathrobes. Dinner was £27 for three courses and very acceptable. Breakfast was okay but I have had better. There is a golf course attached to the hotel for those who like to play. Not a cheap hotel but it was reasonably good.

• Liked — quiet location and great staff
  • Disliked — rooms not very big
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Terrible hotel badly needing an upgrade...even better..it needs demolished and rebuild.Main attraction is the Country Club...

• Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Dan-George
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I stayed here as a wedding guest. Pleased with the overall feel when I checked in and was offered an early check in if required. The room was smaller than I expected and quite dated, I believe they are updating in Oct 2007 all rooms. All was very clean, including a limited amount of freebies that you expect in a hotel! King sized bed is a must, overlooking the golf course so not bad a room, I think it was room 155 but a little too close to one of the function rooms at the end of the corrider that had a function until 12, so if you want a quiet night ask for one away for the many function rooms! As a wedding guest we were quite happy as we were in bed late. Breakfast - excellent choices, but hot food was semi cold by breakfast at 10.30 (serve till 11) so not sure how this can be improved. Overall a good stay but not value for money in the room I felt, if you want the facilties such as golf and the spa its good. Perhaps a smaller bed and breakfast further out would deliver better value for money - there was one 5 mins down the road

• Liked — King sized bed
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bluecity25
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2007

We saw this hotel on Tripadvisor - recommended as one of the best in the area.

As it turned out this is was second stay - a year ago we were subjected to the four star transport cafe at Maidstone and thought it was just a bad hair day. But no - the food again would disgrace the worst transport cafe fare. Complete with drinking your coffee out of a MUG!!

In truth the room - a twin executive - was not too bad by UK standards. Clean and comfortable 3 star accomodation though at best. Staff in the main helpful and friendly - the staff on Monday morning in the dining room outshone the rest - very helpful.

The real problem - and it is a real problem is the dining room experience. We arrived at 19.00 for dinner and had to wait around for the inevitable introduction to a table (horrible experience) and then were shown to a grubby corner with stained chairs and food residue all over the floor.

When the food came it was very very poor quality indeed - as it was a year earlier. And the management must know that this is the case and have done nothing about it. Indeed a quick visit to Tesco in Ashford would produce a much better result!!

We will give this hotel a miss in future ............... even though its location is just right for our purposes.

• Liked — Its just a hotel of average UK quality.
  • Disliked — Dreadful dining experience and food.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank thomasatatamus
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Overall I did not particularly enjoy my stay at the Marriott Tudor Park. The following review is fair and balanced.

The hotel is located close to Maidstone (5-10 minutes by car) which doesn't have that much to offer the tourist but if you can take a trip to Canterbury that is well worth a visit - about 45 minutes away by car. Maidstone does have plenty of restaurants (Pizza Express, Zizzi's, Nando's etc.) Also, the hotel is very close to Leeds Castle - a must for any history fan.

The good things about the hotel are the breakfast (good choice of hot and cold food, plenty of staff, pleasant environment overlooking the golf course) and the golf course looked good not that I know anything about golf. The health and leisure club was OK with plenty of running machines (not used by me!) and a sizeable pool that didn't seem to get too crowded with a sauna and steam room accessible from the pool area; I did feel that the pool area and changing rooms needed a bit of a spruce up, but it was fine.

What I really didn't like about the hotel was the bedroom, or more specifically the beds. We sayed in a room that we booked for a family (two adults and two children aged 11 and 8). The room had two beds which were very small; not singles but not doubles either, they really were too small for two adults to sleep in unless you like to sleep stuck together! The beds were quite soft too. After a very sleepless night I went to reception to explain that I didn't think the bedroom was suitable for four people, they explained that they had only two room types - a double with one large bed or a twin with two small beds so there wasn't much they could do for us. Of course I now realised that the four of us were in a twin room. The receptionist told me that I would have been advised of this when I booked the room, I assured him that I was not. After further discussion I was offered an additional room. I left happy saying that I would be back towards the end of the day to pick up the key. After a lovely day out in Canterbury I returned to pick up the key to our second room to be advised that £95 would be added to my bill. I asked to speak to the manager who wasn't sympathetic and kept quoting some Marriott head office policy. He finally offered the second room half price which I declined because I really did not want to pay the Marriott Tudor Park Hotel any more money for what was turning out to be an unsatisfactory stay. We were given a rollway bed which was squeezed into our room but I'm not sure really helped. Half an hour later two small bottles of mineral water, some jelly beans and a small packed of salted peanuts were delivered to our room as a sweetener, a nice thought but not good enough I'm afraid.

So, what should have been a relaxing family weekend turned out to be an expensive weekend without much sleep which could have been redressed with a bit more flexibility and understanding from Marriot's staff.

Needless to say we will not return to this hotel and are definitely dissuaded from staying with Marriott again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Poliwhirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bearsted
Hilton Maidstone
Chilston Park Hotel
Chilston Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lenham
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa

Been to Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!