“Great place to eat”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We 'stumbled' on this whilst lost (looking for our hotel). I believe this is an old stables / similar so the seating is a little closer than you would perhaps expect, however, on arrival we were sat as far as possible from the other diners and they continued with this theme throughout the evening - so well done to FotG for the sensitivity.
Welcome was warm, staff were attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Service was just the right speed. Food was absolutely outstanding (although very disappointed they did not have the skate as indicated on the website, apparently menu changed the day before!) and was not able to fit in a dessert .......
Just a little disappointed at the 'farewell' we were pretty much ignored - yes there were other diners to attend to, but a thanks and 'hope to see you again' would have completed the evening.
Toilets were immaculate too.

1  Thank Karen P

Reviewed December 22, 2013

A real dilemma. I had an absolutely delicious meal and can't wait to go back but sadly my partner hated it and never wants to go again.

Service was excellent and the ambiance is just right.

I had:-

Twice Baked Goats Cheese Soufflé
The special ‘catch of the day’ which was Turbot
Sticky Toffee Pud

All were excellent. Indeed, I commented as to why Fish on The Green doesn't have a Michelin Star it was so good.

However my partner thought the Fillet of Scottish Halibut was bland and tasteless and compared the Apple and Rhubarb Crumble to something from a budget supermarket. I must admit I tried a bit of the Halibut and mash and it didn't seem right. It's like it had left the kitchen before being finished off.

It's a shame we had such mixed feelings. Sorry to be negative but judging by all the other reviews it certainly seems it was probably a one-off.

PS

I'd rather have written about this privately but Fish on The Green doesn't list an email address or any kind of webform (another little thing which irks me).

4  Thank JamesReckons
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my meal at Fish on The Green, it was amazing. Friendly staff, good atmosphere I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Qwertyfh
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful food, great friendly service ... A very enjoyable evening will return here for sure ... Highly recommended even if ur not a fish lover there is plenty to choose from all presented at very high standards

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Been lots of times and never had a bad meal. Staff are a nice blend of service orientated and friendly. It all feels relaxed, pleasant and clean