“A pleasing lunch”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A pleasing lunch”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We ate here on 22nd October and had a very pleasant meal. The complimentary bread, olives and cornichons is a nice touch while you choose from the menu.The restaurant was not packed so was a much nicer experience than when it is full and the noise level due to the low ceilings is too much. We chose different starters and main courses and each plate served was tasty and well presented. We find that two courses are usually enough food and that the puddings are too rich for our tastes. We enjoyed coffee and chocolates to finish. Then girls who served us were friendly and efficient and a very small problem was sensibly handled.

• Visited October 2013

Kent
“Awesome fish AND seafood!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I went to Fish on the Green last night with my husband and we had one of the best meals we have had in years. The restaurant was busy as was its sister restaurant Oak on the Green next door, but we managed to get a table because there had been an accident on the A20 and they had a cancellation. Their loss was definitely our gain.
Helen, the Manageress welcomed us warmly, giving us a romantic candlelit table in a quiet corner. We really only wanted a quick bite because we had just travelled back from a conference in Manchester and had to get back to our babysitter, but once we saw the mountain of seafood in the starter being served to a woman at a nearby table, we were tempted into 2 courses!
Pippo, who was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the seafood, told us about the fresh fish special of turbot which my husband ordered and I decided to have the fillet steak. There was a nice buzz in the restaurant of people enjoying themselves which was neither irritating nor annoying. I know another reviewer mentioned the restaurant can be loud, but I have been coming here for years both for lunch and dinner and have always found it to be cosy, romantic and intimate. The small size adds to its charm and contributes to the excellent service you receive because staff can be more attentive.

The seafood cocktail was luscious and piled high with langoustine, crab and shrimp. Neither mine nor my husband's dish had any shell bits present, and we enjoyed mouthful after mouthful of succulent seafood balanced with fresh lemon and a tangy tartar sauce. Delish!
The best was yet to come.... Helen personally delivered my husband's steaming plate of turbot and my huge fillet steak to our table and the woman next to me exclaimed, "That looks like a meat island!!"
This steak was huge, sitting on a bed of perfectly steamed spinach, surrounded by a delectable red wine jus and accompanied by piping hot and crispy potatoes. I looked across the table as my husband ogled my massive mountain of steak and with sinking heart, I soon realised that I would have to share my carnivorous delight.
Fortunately, he had to share his own turbot with me and it was just exquisite with a crisp exterior and delicate flavour. My steak was succulent and perfectly cooked medium rare just the way I like it. Embarrassingly, I actually heard a groan of pleasure escape from my body as I took my first mouthful of steak Heaven. Fortunately, the people at the next table were busy spooning oysters into each other's mouths so they took no notice of me. They were in their own seafood Nirvana.

I felt compelled to send my compliments to the Head Chef because he really knows his stuff. He understands the delicate handling of seafood and his magic touch on that steak was nothing
short of perfection.
Thank you so much to the staff and management at Fish on the Green for a delightful meal. As we left, I heard a man next to me comment, "If that was my last meal on this earth, I would die a happy man."
Needless to say, I agreed with him!

Pamperedpoochie

London, United Kingdom
“Good food, nice service”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went here today for the first time. Good food and nice service by the staff. Bread, olives and gherkins for starters were very nice.

Set lunch is also good value for money. Someone had the mackerel starter and another person had the shellfish cocktail. The cocktail was lovely but did have a tiny few pieces of shell, but at least this proved that it was fresh!

For mains, we had the hake, fish and chips and the lemon sole off the specials menu. All very nice but did find the food quite salty. This could be down to personal taste as we do not add salt to our food at all. I had the fish and chips and the piece of cod was a very good size, mushy peas were lovely but the tartare sauce was a little too mustardy. I did find my batter nice but in places a bit salty.

Took advantage of the dessert off the set menu which works out very good value for money.

As the name suggests, you really do need to like your fish to eat here!

• Visited October 2013
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Food great but a bit cramped and noisy”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The food is super but we just felt cramped and because of a low celing the noise level when busy was bit too much for me, But my wife says I am getting old and she is a retired teacher so is used to noise. I will try aggain

Visited April 2013
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Last minute”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went on the spur of the moment, wasn't disappointed.

The fish was amazing, loved the pre dinner nibbles !

Was really nice, wasn't rushed to leave - as we were the last two there.

Visited May 2013