“cheap” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast

Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 6 Woodstock B&B and Inns
ferndale, MI
“cheap”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

We where unable to keep our reservation for July, therefore we had to cancel in March. 4 months ahead of time. They charged my credit card $25. I just don't think thats very neighborly. We will not consider staying with them again

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Norwalk, ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

From the first contact on the phone with Mary Beth, until we said goodbye this morning, everyone at Elias Child House was outstanding. The grounds are wonderful, the cats Spike, Billy Bob and Chester as friendly as you can imagine, Murphy the "guard dog" also a love. We were given spot on directions, and upon arriving, met by Tony who showed us around, brought us to our room, gave us a menu to pick from for breakfast the following morning, supplied us with wine glasses and reminded us that we should contact them if there was anything else we needed.

After a quick trip to sit outside on a beautiful day on the Adirondack chairs by the (now covered) pool, we took our bottle of wine and relaxed more on the screened in porch.

We returned to our room to find that Mary Beth (who we had just met a while before while outside) had left a map for the Still River Cafe where we were having dinner (DO NOT MISS THAT RESTAURANT!!!).

We had a spectacular dinner (the reason we even made the trip!), slept well in the Caroline Room, and awoke to a wonderful breakfast (perhaps the most perfect over easy eggs I've ever had, thank you Tony!).

You will not be disappointed by the charm and warmth of the Elias Child House.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

Our two night stay at the Elias Child House was the best we had out of two weeks in New England B&B's, some of which were very good. Tony and Mary Beth are great hosts: they went far beyond what we would expect to make us feel welcome and at home. Mary Beth's homemade jellies and breads were unusual and special. She was flexible in meeting our food desires. Their house is fun and has great furnishings: we had a sense of staying in a comfortable, authentic colonial home. We truly desire to stay with them again.

• Liked — The home's authenticity.
  • Disliked — not applicable
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Hartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

I surprised my girlfriend with a weekend getaway here at the Elias Child B&B over the Valentine's weekend in which I booked us the Aimee Suite. The room itself was spacious and a great country feel making you feel right at home.

I arrived early to make sure things were all set, as this was a surprise for my girlfriend, Mary Beth gave me the tour of the place along with the room that I was to be staying at. I made the request that if I could have the fireplace ready to go for when I returned. Sure enough, after returning with my girlfriend, the fireplace was set.

The next morning, we were greeted with a very nice country breakfast. I especially loved the homemade jelly. Tom and Mary Beth are awesome cooks!

Mary Beth provided us with discount coupons to Old Sturbridge Village when she heard we were planning on spending an afternoon there. I found out that there is no shortage of things to do. Just let her or Tom know what you are interested in doing and they will let you know if it is around the area.

For dinner we were presented with an old fashioned dinner prepared in a hearth. Mary Beth and Tom explained a bit of the history of the house, how the hearth came to be and a little of the traditional clothes worn in that period. The dinner itself was spectacular.

Since this was a Valentine's Package, we also had a private Desert and Wine tasting along with Taylor's Corner B&B. Richard and Linda of Taylor Brook Winery were such great hosts and very patient when it came to all of us bottling our own wine. We all had such a great evening tasting the variety of wine and delicious deserts.

After a great day and night, the comfortable bed and crackle of the fireplace soothed us to sleep. The following morning we enjoyed another superb breakfast by Tom and Mary Beth. They made sure we were well fed before we checked out.

My girlfriend and I came for a relaxing enjoyable weekend and we left, engaged. Tom and Mary Beth made sure we had everything we needed. We also made new friends with the other couples who stayed as well. Everything was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable weekend.

P.S. I am not sure what the previous negative reviewer had issues with, but he must have been looking for the Holiday Inn Express. If you are looking for a country feel, old fashioned and home style cooking in the quiet corner of Connecticut, this is the place to be.

• Liked — The old country feel.
  • Disliked — Cold Weather. WIsh it was warmer when we went!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BetaMax69
CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

room dark, basic- no charm, no access to common space, no phone, TV, internet access, hard to find off back road, no answer to hosts phone when calling from road lost, food mediocre, disliked hosts,, recommend that you look elsewhere

• Stayed April 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank radx
ajnsunshine, Owner at Elias Child House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 16, 2008
We were shocked to see this review. In over 9 years of operation here in Woodstock, plus 12 year in Coventry, CT, we have never had a negative comment. It is also interesting to see that the date of stay was April, 2006 and the review was submitted in October, 2007. We are wondering if this review is a malicious prank. Where the reviewer described the rooms as "dark," the reality is that every guest room has 3 12-over-12 windows which admit copious amounts of light. The complaint about no common rooms is also invalid, as we have 2 parlors, a dining room, a screened-in porch, a patio and pool area, all of which guests are invited to use. Our philosophy has always been that when guests come through our door, they become "family." We also pride ourselves on the quality and quantity of our food, and receive countless accolades about the culinary experience here. It's disheartening to us as innkeepers who strive to provide our guests with the best B&B experience to receive such a review. It makes us wonder if the person(s) actually stayed here.
Bruceville, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2005

My wife and I visited the Elias Child house on our honeymoon, and with this being our first visit to a B&B and to New England (we're from Texas) we weren't quite sure what to expect. What we found was the feeling of home away from home, and Mary Beth and Tony couldn't have made our experience any more enjoyable.

Shortly after arriving Mary Beth made me and my wife hot apple cider and brought a bottle of wine up to our room to congrats us on our honeymoon. We stayed in the Polly room, which was on the second story and VERY cozy. Both nights we stayed there Mary Beth fixed us a fire in the fireplace in our room, and we went to sleep listening to the crackle of the fire and light bouncing across the room.

The breakfasts were absolutely the best! Both mornings we had a homecooked breakfast and had a chance to visit with the other guests, all of whom were equally as enjoyable.

Also being that this was our first time to visit New England, Tony gave us some wonderful ideas on what to see plus he let us use a map and printed some from his computer for us to keep.

We hated to leave, but me and my wife agree'd that we hope to visit again someday -- and maybe on our next visit we'll be using the family room :)

Sam Alexander
sam@totallynerd.com

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank SAMALEX
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2004

My husband and I brought our dog along for our weekend at the Elias Child House and all three of us had a WONDERFUL stay! Just three short hours (on the scenic Merritt Parkway) from NYC, this place is a world unto itself. The charming hosts, Mary Beth and Tony, treated us to an authentic and delicious 17th century hearth dinner upon our arrival Friday night. This was followed by quiet time in our suite, enjoying a glass of wine and a lovely fire in the woodburning fireplace. Our daytime activities were mainly centered around hiking on the 47 acres of property, but there are also lots of antique shops in nearby Putnam, as well as a local winery. Breakfast is absolutely wonderful, including fresh baked goods made by Mary Beth, and a creative fruit dish as well (we had bananas in a brandy sauce one morning and a baked spiced apple the next--YUM!) Overall, this weekend was extremely relaxing and laid back, and had the feel of visiting friends at their country home. The inn is meticulously maintained and completely furnished in gorgeous antiques, and the innkeepers are charming and friendly without ever being intrusive. Highly recommended!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member