“another fine woodbury restaurant”
Review of John's Cafe

John's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Woodbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining restaurant All pastas homemade Local ingredients Full Bar Patio dining Takeout and catering available Private dining room for parties and events
Reviewed December 26, 2012

For a little country town woodbury has two of the best restaurants. Johns is one of my favorites. Great wine list paired with the food, Seasonal selections. Prix fix available sunday through thursday but you can order from the regular menu. Often one of us will find something on the prix fix while the other goes to the menu.

Another great thing is sunday and monday there is no corkage fee so this makes enjoying fine dining a little more affordable and you can enjoy Johns more often. We usually bring a white and red and then staff opens whichever goes with our dinner.

Staff is professional.

1  Thank yysuzanne
There are newer reviews for John's Cafe

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had traveled from my home in Woodstock, Vermont to Providence, RI and then had to run to Woodbury, CT for business. My wife suggested I take a break and have lunch before heading back to pick her up in Providence. The first place I saw was John's Cafe just a few steps from where I had done business. Anyone who travels alot really appreciates stumbling to into a fine establishment entirely by chance. This is one of those times.
Nice ambiance, great service and a menu that made one really ponder all the possibilities. I ended up ordering the Prix Fixe lunch special--New England clam chowder and the grilled salmon over mesclun greens. Wow! Plenty of places serve that but few do it so well. Salmon cooked to perfection (2 large pieces!) and wonderful salad and dressing. Great soup too. $13.00. Sure the linen tablecloths might put off some for lunch, but go here. It's is well worth it.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I went here to celebrate our birthdays on 2/6 (hers is 2/7, mine 2/14), which was actually our 2nd time here. We were promptly seated at our previously requested reservation time (7:30). The wait staff is very charming, as is the decor of the place. The food was very good, and the beer selection is very good as well. They don't have a huge selection of beers, but they do have several beers that you can't get in other restaurants in CT. It CAN get a little pricey, and is very tiny (the only reasons this isn't a 5) - but all in all, I would definitely recommend John's.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This used to be one of our favorite places, for dinner or lunch, and we brought many people there with us over the years. However, it changed a few years ago and it's not a place we even consider any more. Food is just OK, mostly overly complex and pricey. Service is erratic at best and the noise level is deafening. Reconfigured seating can be akward and uncomfortable. This was our last visit. Good-bye.

1  Thank billie88
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We've eaten here numerous times over the past few years, with my husband, friends, family and kids. The food and service are consistently excellent, no matter what time of day or what day of the week. Highly recommend.

Been to John's Cafe? Share your experiences!