“Great, small, local ski hill for families with small ones”
Review of Woodbury Ski Area

Woodbury Ski Area
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I brought my three young kids (6, 4,2) on President's day weekend 2014. We got a semi-private ski lesson for the kids, rented the equipment. It wasn't cheap, but skiing never is. It was perfect for us, an hour or so lesson. the private instructor gets to cut the line for the magic carpet. we spent half a day and that was enough for our age group.

The big draw is the snow tubing. That is what most people are there for and what most of the tweens and teens are doing.

The hill is small, I saw only one ski lift (although we never left the bunny hill). The food is overpriced burgers and chicken nuggets. $3 small coffee cup to use as a measure. the main lodge is small to say the least - no meeting place, nowhere to sit down. Our instructor told us the day we were there was exceptionally busy, so there were lines to rent equipment, a 10 minute wait for the magic carpet lift and the small inside eating area was full at lunch time and no seats available. the parking was a mess, but part of that was because of all the snow we have had recently, blocking parking areas and narrowing available parking lanes. it was clearly overcrowded due to the holiday weekend and recent snow storms. ski lifts, equipment room and most lessons are staffed by highschool aged kids.

Our instructor Stephanie seemed young but was in fact superb. my kids loved her. she had little tips and such that were received well by even my 4 year old. she took my 4 year old on some runs, then my 6 year old, then my 2 year old. my wife was on skis and able to swap in and out to hold hands and support whoever wasn't with the instructor. we are talking about a 250 foot bunny hill, so they never leave photograph range really.

we saw her lead a 'group' lesson later and it must have had 30 people in it of all ages. very little personal attention and the result was a fraction of the runs we experienced with her. I think that was unusually crowded due to high volume on a holiday weekend with lots of snow, but I think if you have 3 or more kids in your group the semi private or private lesson might be the way to go.

it is in the middle of nowhere so nowhere to stay overnight - unless you are into the small bed and breakfast scene, in which case that might appeal to you.

but we loved it because it was exactly what we thought it would be. geographically close to southern CT and Westchester County. perfect for small kids not leaving the bunny hill and looking to get comfortable on skis. get some photos of the kids' first ski trip. I figure it is a good warm up trip to build ourselves up to a real ski trip to places north with real mountains, real restaurants and real hotel rooms.

the kids did do a few runs on the tubing track and they want to go back for that as soon as possible. it seemed like a head injury waiting to happen to me, but undeniably fun. I'd be nervous with anyone younger than 5 or 6 on the tubing. crashing into the pile of tubes at the bottom of the hill is the typical way to stop. on a crowded day like ours this meant crashing into the magic carpet line of people.

if you are looking for good skiing and non cafeteria style food, this is not it. if you are looking to introduce the kids to skis and a bunny hill and the distance makes this a doable day trip (or you have friends or fam offering a place to stay in the area), this gets the job done fine. for us it was a few hours of intro to skiing, grab a bite to eat somewhere and kids nap on the car ride home. and in a few years we will take a real ski trip once the kids can right themselves after falling over.

1  Thank Matthew S

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We bought a groupon and THEN read the reviews here. I was very nervous about what everyone shared, but our experience was was nothing but good! It was the day after a major storm and many schools were closed, but there were virtually no lines until later in the afternoon, but even then, the wait was not long for each run. My wife and I brought our 3 and 5 years olds, who LOVED spending the day there. The beginner runs were perfect for them- not too scary, but certainly not boring. I can see the potential for injury as people described here, but follow the rules, watch your kids, and you'll have a blast, too. It was a little understaffed, but the people working were helpful and proactive. Maybe things have changed since these other reviews or maybe we lucked out with a smaller crowd, but it was an awesome day with the family here! Thanks!!!!!

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I went tubing with my family. All lanes end up running into each other at the bottom which is very dangerous. My tube went over one of the snow banks at the bottom so I tried to stop my tube and winded up dislocating my hip. If that wasn't bad enough I waited about 15_20 minutes for someone from the place to come help. By then my sister had already called 911. We asked the worker to close the hills that kept sliding into us because they would either hit me or the person who was trying to block me. (the worker tried his best but was also trying to stabilize my neck to ensure there were no further injuries). When the FD arrived the owner came over and asked his worker who called 911. He didn't answer and my sister said I did is there a Problem. The owner walked away and didn't respond nor did he check to see if I was ok. After three more attempts to get the hills closed the fireman had to threaten to close the place if the lanes weren't closed. As I was carried off the mountain the owner stood and watched, never said a word to myself or my family. What a complete lack of human concern and safety. I will continue to spread the word about how unsafe this place is so someone else's doesn't get injured worse than I did.

5  Thank bheld1968
Snowmore, Owner at Woodbury Ski Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Woodbury tubing is very safe, the customers have to use our recommendations and rules and look at the signs on how to use a tube safely. There is a 4x8 foot sign on the bottom and top of the lift, explaining all the rules and regulations. What is very unique about Woodbury tubing is that we have 16 different tubing trails that are clearly marked, beginner to expert. The trail that the customer was using was for experts. I saw her go down, and she was not using our rules and recommendations. The bank is 10 feet high, so she did not go over it. Our EMT was wiling to take her off immediately, but she didn't want anyone to touch her. We responded with the Woodbury Fire Department Rescue, which is a 30 man team. We recommend starting out at the beginner area first to get use to using a tube.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I probably would have avoided this place based on the reviews, but we had already agreed to meet friends there. Bottom line:

It is not Disney World. It is not perfectly safe. The bottom of the runs gets a bit chaotic.

If you bring children, you need to watch them pretty much every minute.

However: We had a really good time. I have a 9year old girl and a 5 year old boy and everyone did just fine. We did not try to do more than we were comfortable with and as a result, we left with my boy saying this was the best day of his life.

2  Thank WilliamEKelly3
See more reviews
Reviewed February 8, 2014

BE AWARE AND BE CAUTIOUS- YOUR SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Everyone should be required to wear a helmet!

I was there for first-time tubing on 2/2 with my family. First several hours were super fun. It seemed unsafe (5 tube trails dumping into one pile at the bottom) and had lots of potential for mishaps but looking around I thought it must be safe if this many people are here.

Trails got faster in the afternoon and my 4yo and I ended up bouncing hard and fast across the top of a bank turn (that was not intended for tubers to be on top of). I grabbed for my daughter to keep her in the tube and in the process I flew out of our tube and down the bank. One staffer helped me up (I had blacked out) and simply pointed me towards my daughter who was thankfully safely secured by an adult who saw the crash. No one that worked there checked to see if I was okay. And I was on my own to walk off the course dazed and confused. I found my husband, a former medic, grabbed our kids and headed to the ER.

Unfortunately my symptoms got much worse in the car and we had to call for an ambulance. ER confirmed a concussion and torn ligaments in my shoulder (plus lots of future bruises and a chipped tooth). I went back to the ER two days later as my confusion got worse. I have now been out of work a week. Dr instructed me to stay away from technology for another week but I had to jump on to write this review to warn others considering a trip here.

IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A FUN DAY BUT THE RISKS ARE GREAT!

2  Thank Beth M