“Careless, defensive owner, and potentially dangerous place”
Review of Woodbury Ski Area

Woodbury Ski Area
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Careless, defensive owner, and potentially dangerous place”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a horrible experience this last weekend and the owner (Ron) was extremely defensive when we explained our concerns about safety, staff incompetence,

The person working in the front office was not trained in how to use the computer to accept money or print tickets, so after about 10 minutes of trying he asked us to take our money to the top of the ski hill where the owner was. We asked him to call up there and he said there were no phones to do that from the front office.

When we got to the bottom of the hill, the lift was not working. There was no staff at the bottom of the hill when we arrived. We had to pick up the staff's red emergency phone to ask them to turn on the lift. The owner made us check if the emergency stop button was engaged instead of sending a staff member down! Once we pulled out the emergency stop button, he was able to start the lift.

Nobody provided instructions on how to use the lift because they were all at the top of the hill. We all hopped on and immediately started falling over each other's tubes, not able to keep our balance. While this sent us into a fit of laughter, it was disconcerting to think that if someone had gotten hurt, there would have been nobody there to help or stop the lift. Even worse, some of the workers had run a garden hose across the lift instead of under it! As I was riding the lift up, it wrapped around my ankles and almost knocked me over. I yelled to my friends to jump over it so they didn't get tripped up like I did. Were we paying for an obstacle course? When we got to the top and I explained the safety issue, the owner told his staff to go run it under. Not even an apology. This was just careless and no attention to safety!

One of the two tubing tracks had grass growing through it so the owner said it would probably be slow, but offered to put silicone to make the runs faster. We were concerned about safety because it looked like the tracks had not been taken care of. He defensively said that 20,000 people had tubed on them before and never had any safety issues. We still did not feel much reassurance because the track was not well kept. He said one of us could take a test run down the hill to see if it was safe, but he would charge us for it... huh??? (I feel unsafe, so I should test it and pay for that test run? Sounds like he just wanted our money)

We want to go zorbing too. When we asked about the helmets at the front desk, we were told they were only required for 12 and under. The owner told us that it was actually 16 and under, but recommended them for everyone. However, there were no helmets at the top of the hill. He asked me to walk down the hill with one of his staff to pick out helmets. I did and then rode the lift back up. Once I got back up there he then said we needed to sign a waiver, but they didn't have it at the top of the hill and the person at the front desk should have done that with us!!! He sent one of his staff back down to get the waivers. By this time we had ZERO confidence in the owner or his staff were paying attention to the details necessary to run a safe operation. We asked if he would discount our ticket for the hassle and safety issue with the garden hose and he said no. The owner said that he just spent $6000 on the new zorb and couldn't afford to discount our price. He also said that turning on the lift cost more than our tickets!!!! What!?!?! What kind of place is this guy running? Finally we gave up and refused to ride and just left the place amazed that he is still in business.

Side note: I noticed a box cutter razor blade sticking out of a table top where people would normally sit to eat... luckily we were the only people there and had no children! There were screws strewn about and the place overall looked like it was not ready for business. The owner said they were between seasons and that is why. My first thought was, if the place is not safe or ready to open, keep the place closed until it is ready. Are there safety inspectors in Connecticut?

I am sure I am forgetting something, but I think I have shared enough to hopefully save you the hassle of dealing with this guy. Don't give him your money or risk injury.

Visited May 2013
8 Thank normal2001
Snowmore, Owner at Woodbury Ski Area, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
At the moment, we are still pre-season and are open by appointment. The couple who wrote this review had an reservation for 2pm, but did not show up until 3:30pm. I had staff come in for the 2 pm appointment, but as we had no other customers, and they were not here for their reservation, I assumed they were not showing up and wound up sending some of my staff home at 3pm. When they finally showed up at 3:30pm, we were not ready as we had shut everything down, but told them we would do our best to get everything set up for them as quickly as possible. Our cashier was gone for the day at that point, but the staff member in the office said he would do his best to help them. They changed their mind several times about the activities they wanted to try and then decided they did not like the pricing at which point the staff member asked them to see the owner. Before starting the ride, they expressed concern about safety. I offered a 2 ride ticket instead of a 2 or 3 hour ticket so they could try it out to see if they liked the ride. They said no, they wanted to go for free. I explained that we could not do this. They then asked about putting silicone on the tracks, and I explained that that would make the ride faster and did not think it necessary, but if after a few runs if they felt the need to go faster, we could always add silicone to their tubes.
For zorbing, a helmet is required for all ages and this is posted in our office. This policy is for everyone's safety. They did not like the policy and complained about this as well and then asked to zorb for free. I explained to them that there are costs associated in running a business and I cannot allow everyone to go for free. I also explained that the activities are not for everyone and maybe they would be happier finding another activity.

Danbury, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not great...lift kept breaking down.”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The problem here is the escalator that brings you up to the top of the hill. It broke down repeatedly during our 4 hour visit, making people who had a difficult time walking, have to walk the steep incline to the top of the hill.

2 Thank Crissy N
Stratford, Connecticut, United States
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Hi I purchased a family pack of tickets off Groupon for Woodbury Ski... we actually went on Good Friday.. what a beautiful day! Our family had an amazing time! We are all adults and loved going down the hills a million times!! It was a perfect day! Thanks again & we can't wait to visit again!!

Visited March 2013
“Awesome time if your in for a thrill”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been here 2 times in the past week because it was so much fun. Kids should stay on the ski mountain side. Teenagers and adults go big or go home. We loved it and cant wait to go back next year.

Linden, New Jersey
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Nice place, good for beginners”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went here on a Living Social voucher, So we actually got a two for one. Included was ski lift, boots, ski's and a one hour lesson.. I had a blast !!!!! Even though I busted my butt all day, ( I couldn't ski worth a d@#m!! ), my wife was like a first time professional.... She loved it !!!! The boots are heavy as hell, The Bathrooms DEFINITELY need to be cleaned better, and more than what seems like once a week, The inside rental people were helpful for the most part, ( Once you could get their attention away from the intense "what we did last night" conversation) .Outside was nice, the hills were adaquate, the lesson we got was thorough. It's in a real nice location ( 10-15 miles from Danbury ), the scenery is beautiful. It's a nice day out. Would I drive 2 hours AGAIN to ski there???? No. Would I buy a 5.00 hamburger that was lacking in all respects AGAIN??? No. Would I suggest to the owner that he give his staff a lesson on proffesionalism??? Yes. Would I recomend this place??? I'd give it a 5 out of 10. I wouldn't plan a vacation centered around this place, but it's OK for a couple hours of low expectation skiing...... Go and enjoy yourself, just don't expect to much.