“Times are tough.....”

Woodbury Ski Area
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Times are tough.....”
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Running a small area with insurance costs, poor weather, and of course Connecticuts business costs must be very difficult, but the owners need to either run it properly, or get out of the business.
1. Help barely understand English. All young kids, probably on some kind Of exchange program.
2. Equipment is in poor repair, rotting wood and exposed nails on the "magic carpet" lift, tubing run surface continually lifting and forcing delays
3. Expensive
4. While these are dangerous activities, and if you want a guarantee you won't be hurt you should stay home, they are quite laissez-faie regarding safety, many times the start of the runs unattended.

I'm not a skier, just went there to summer tube. Had fun, but this venue is doomed without some major changes, especially in this social media age.

2 Thank Jeffsterl

Coventry, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Don't go! Poorly run”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I went with our 3 children. We arrived at opening and the owners wife didn't seem to know what she was talking about nor was she welcoming. The snack area was closed and we were told that we needed to tell someone when we wanted to eat. The kitchen staff was very nice, but completely untrained. My daughter was charged $5 for one chicken finger. When I asked the owner's wife how many come in an order she said she didn't know, "but it should be more than one". We bought my daughter a zorb ride for $25. when we go to the top they said "it's not ready yet". This is 1.5 hrs into their wknd business day of 5 hrs. Then they said the water zorb was a minimum of 2 people..NOT TOLD TO US at the time of purchase. My boys already did the other zorb. So the owner says she could wait in the 90 degree heat for someone else to join her (no one else there was doing it!) or one of my sons could join her..if they bought a $25 ticket! We weren't putting another dime into this dump and asked for a refund for her one ride after already paying for 5 people. The owner was yelling at my husband and would not give in until he was threatened with contacting the BBB and Groupon. Even then, he gave us a lousy $12 back. He was a rude, cheap, jerk who has NO sense of public service or any professionalism in running a business. He should be shut down.

Visited June 2012
6 Thank Not_satisfied2012
Snowmore, General Manager at Woodbury Ski Area, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We take all reviews seriously and want to say it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your visit. We would like to clarify a few points in your review for a better understanding. First, the owner's wife does not work here. The cashier does not work in the kitchen, but upon hearing of the problem with the chicken, went immediately to the kitchen to make sure you were given more chicken and apologized for the oversight. As for the zorbing, what we were trying to explain is that the zorb is balanced with two people inside and the ride is more stable so we wait for two people to fill the zorb. It is similar to getting on a roller coaster at an amusement park where all ticket holders fill the car before they start the ride rather than each person having an individual ride. Your husband did not want to wait for another rider and demanded his money back. We also offered to have a staff member fill the other spot in the zorb and this was not acceptable either and your daughter said she no longer wanted the ride. At that point, the tubing portion of the ticket had been used and we typically do not give refunds for used tickets. Furthermore, as we tried to explain, the ticket was purchased at a significant discount through Groupon, of which we only get a percentage, making the zorbing portion of the ticket worth only around $4. As you husband was screaming about wanting $12 back, the owner gave the refund of $12 to calm him down. We try very hard to keep everyone happy but it's not always possible.
Melbourne, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“This is a ski area?”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

You have got to be kidding me. My backyard is more of a ski area.

1 Thank James L
New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fun tubing, I wouldn't bother with skiing”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I have fun date nights tubing here. However, I have never bothered with skiing. You're better off driving and hour and a half to a bigger mountain. We enjoy Catamount.

Wethersfield, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tubing conditions were bad!”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We went tubing the first weekend of March. We were using a Groupon thank goodness because the regular prices were outrageous. Also, the tickets only include a single tube, if you want a double tube it's extra money and if you want a family tube it will cost you an extra $35 bucks. The lack of snow this winter definately has impacted the conditions and we knew that we would be tubing on man-made snow, however we did expect the snow to cover the trail. We checked the website that morning and checked the link for "conditions". It listed over 15 trails open for tubing. When we bought our tickets the girl at the counter told us that there were 4 trails open one one side of the street and 8 open on the other. We decided to start on the beginner hill with the 4 trails. This consisted of a small converyor belt that brought you up to the top of one very small hill that had two " lanes". If you wanted to go up to the other 2 lanes you had to walk the rest of the way up pulling your tube. Kids were slipping and falling constantly. After one trip down we decided to head across the street to the main tubing area. When we got there there were maybe only 6 trails that were even usable. The snow covering was only about 10 feet wide on each lane and if you veered off to the side you ended up hitting a big pile of dirt and rocks. Overall it was very dangerous conditions especially for young children who may have difficulty stearing. One lane only had snow about 3/4 of the way down and then it turned completely to dirt and you had to walk to rest of the way down. The bottom of the hill was a complete mud puddle and they were constantly closing lanes to shovel more snow over the patches of dirt that were in the middle of the trail. The workers at the top and bottom of the lift which was essentially a conveyor belt were unhelpful nor did they appear to speak English. I watched several families with small children struggle to get on and off of the conveyor belt with their tubes and they offered no assistance. In my opinion they should not have even been open or atleast discounted there prices since half the trails were closed. I don't think they care one bit as long as people were willing to pay. We took one trip to the bathroom and passed a small snack counter. Tiny small individua bags of Dorito's were $2.50. Overall, the place was a total rip off. I would not go there again. I talked to a couple who were just arriving and deciding wether to buy tickets or not. I told them to go home and save there money. Not worth the price at all.

Visited March 2012