“Mirage nice warm hospitality fit for a king stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Besar
Mirage Island Resort
“Mirage nice warm hospitality fit for a king stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Kampung style feeling peaceful and laid back. Its a great bonding time to catch up with ur family and friends. And the food was a thumbs up. All I can say from my trip is excellent food, hospitality and service!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Yanzai

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I went during the first week of October, the low season of the east coast of Malaysia's island resorts. Some days it was just me at the Mirage resort, with the whole beach and whole resort to myself and the staff! Perfect, just what I needed. Water is crystal clean, and the staff are amazing. The owner Mancoral himself was friendly, got served huge meals, especially the dinners. I bought my batik sarongs at Mersing jetty for 20 RM each and they served well as beach mats or to just place over the loungers on the sandy beach. The chalets are wooden huts with air-con. Wish it was better lit as I read a lot. Brought my own arsenal of insect repellants and incense to keep the mozzies out; they attack at evening time 5-7 pm so just carry that can of insect killer spray (never mind the repellents they don't work with these crazy mozzies). This is typical of all the beach vacations that I've been to. I'll be back again next year when the SE monsoon clears for snorkelling. Water is amazing, and I had the whole beach to myself. What else can I ask for? There was no wifi but I could use my phone's 3G to connect to the laptop. Just purchase the 3G sim card package at Mersing town for 30-50 RMs and there you go, local number and data.

You can also walk to the left and right of the beach at Mirage to see the other parts of the island. Good value. Perhaps pay a little more for the bigger rooms than the A huts. Excellent 5 days spent at the Mirage. Big thank you to the owner and his helpful staff.

Room Tip: The more expensive huts are nearer to the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Male_Traveller_SG
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

The island is peaceful and not crowded. Less than 50 people live on the island with only 3 resorts. Mirage is not the most luxuary one but the beach is perfect and the bar and restaurant are cosy. The children could easily play in the sea because it was not very deep. Food was basci but good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank E J
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

This is a place for total relaxation. There are no hub of activities and no wifi. If you want to go on snorkelling trips you need a minimum of 8 pax or rent the whole boat at RM 400. However, if you are the type who likes to relax, lounge and hit the beach, and you are on a budget, this is the place for it.

The food and service was good. My family even had BBQ one night when the whole resort was fully booked.

I guess I expected more things to do in the Island. You cant really walk very far, I think about 1.5km only maybe even less along the beach and pathway. The other side of the island is completely inaccessible.

Accomodation was all right I guess. We stayed in the A-Frame Chalet. For RM 420 3d2n package, it was all right for what we paid.

If you like to relax and do nothing, this is a good place for that. Some pictures from the trip can be found here:

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lavy81
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

As mentioned by previous advisors, this is not a place for people who are looking for a luxury stay.
Booking: We were there for 5 days and 4 nights, full board with boat transfer for RM4000++. We booked through email. 50% of the total charge must be made through bank transfer to confirm the booking.
Accomodation: 2 families of 10 people with children and teenagers, aged 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13. We booked a double storey hut and an A-framed hut. There were a double bed, 4 super-single mattresses, a single bed and a day bed in the two storey hut. Both huts were airconditioned, working well and there are also wall fans. There were a double bed and a day bed in the A-framed hut. Both huts were clean. The toilets were clean but of backpackers standard. Don’t expect too much.
Restaurant: The Pirates Bar. Staffs were friendly and accomodating. They even wait at our table while we dined, refilling our water and seeing to our needs. Food is yummy! Breakfast cost about RM10-RM20 and lunch/dinner cost about RM20. A simple fried rice/noodle cost RM12. They serve both local delights and western food. Drinks cost at least RM5. Free flow of mineral water and hot drinks.
Full board package. All breakfast were served American style. Eggs, sausages, toast and hot drinks. Lunch and dinner – 3 to 4 dishes ( vegetables, chicken, beef) served with rice OR fish and chips. You don't have to bring much money if it's full board.

Recreation: Just relax and chill. They provide beach volleyballs, soccer, snorkelling gears, pool table, darts, Jenga, books and magazines. There is a TV at the bar. Beach is cleaned daily but some parts are infested with sandflies. Make sure you use insect repellent that contains DEET like the brand OFF. The sea is clear with many dead corals close to shore. We booked a 3 hours snorkelling trip that cost RM 400. We stopped at Pulau Rawa and Pulau Tengah. Many dead corals but you can see many fishes.

Island:
There is a mosque 50m from resort. Prayer calls only available for maghrib and Isyak.
There is a WELL opposite the mosque for people who have never fetch water from well before. If you need snacks, there is a shop near Aseana that sells peanuts, potatoe chips and drinks. There is also a few "warong" - food stalls along the Aseana stretch.
There is a cemented path on the inhibited side of the island. Try not to wander off further because there were visitors who were lost in the jungle or got stranded on the rocky side of the island.

Fishing:You can fish at the red roofed jetty 5 min walk from the resort. You can catch some small fishes, squid at night and if really lucky, gummy shark. We "caught" a turtle, it swam into the fishing line and of course the line snapped. Make sure you bring your fishing stuff, bait, jingles, etc. You can't buy it from the island.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Hana_Tay
Sittard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed here the last few days of a one month trip and it was wonderful!

The food was perfect, the staff very friendly, the room beautiful (and beautifully decorated because it was our honeymoon) and the people on the island very hospitable!

James (the neighbour) made us cocktails and baked us a pizza when we were leaving, Eddy (down the path) took us snorkelling. If you want to go snorkelling definitely ask for him, he knows were to go and when and even dove me up a clown fish because I couldn't dive myself!

Highly recommendable!

Oh bring mosquito & sand fly repellent!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria v
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We had a 40th birthday bash - several families and lots of kids...25 in total! Great time as we were able to chill out. The kids were safe; running freely in the intimately sized compound while the adults relaxed. Nothing fancy, but the owner and staff were wonderful...catering for adults and the children - basic fare but delicious! Bring LOTS of bug lotions and oils - sandflies atrocious. Resort supplies mosquito repellant, but bring stuff for your skin. I hate those bugs but would still go back....with a group of friends!

Room Tip: Chalets depend on the size of family or number of persons sharing. Do realise that if there are lot...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
D'Coconut Resort
D'Coconut Resort
#2 of 2 in Pulau Besar
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa Sibu Island

Been to Mirage Island Resort? Share your experiences!